IGNORED

Tire installation price

Dale124

Hi all. I have a quick question for those of you that have had there tires replaced on a 2nd gen RSV. I need tires soon, so this past weekend I went to the dealership to get some ideas on price. They quoted me about $350 over and above the price of the tires just for the install :yikes:! The guy at the service counter said that they need to take off the bags and exhaust to get the rear tire off, which is part of the reason for this inflated price. Does that seem accurate to you, or am I being bent over, so to speak?:smilies6:

Thanks in advance.

Dale

Hey Dale,

I would go find a good M/C jack then pick up one of carbon one's (Larry) RSV jack adaptor.

Play with the jack to make sure you get it stable and tie the bike down to the jack using a couple of ratchet straps.

All of this should cost you under $200.00 then you will have everything for the future.

To remove the rear wheel jack the bike up just until the rear tire slightly touches the ground.

Remove the lower nut and bolt holding the shock to the lower pivot arm.

Remove the rear brake caliper bolts from the mounting frame

Then jack the bike up until the axel bolt is below the exhaust pipe.

Remove the axel nut then tap out the bolt then jack up the bike until the wheel is just slightly touching the ground then slide the wheel off the final drive and out from the bike.

Once you have done this a couple of times the equipment will pay for it self and then some.

To reinstall just reverse everything.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others may have additional advice as well.

PS: Hope to see you in Castleger BC in July.

Dale

It is easier if the bags are removed but I have never had to remove the exhaust. Even if you do it is only two screws. I do not know about the Canadian exchange rate but I think you are being quoted a high price.

Mike

[quote=Trader;961603

a lot of shops won't install a tire they didn't sell...saying for liability reasons

Which is BS. They're trying to make money on the tire sale and turn their inventory.

They are correct, the rear is a lot of work. In my shop we'd get $95(US) for the rear and $65 for the front. $160 to install the pair.

Hi all. I have a quick question for those of you that have had there tires replaced on a 2nd gen RSV. I need tires soon, so this past weekend I went to the dealership to get some ideas on price. They quoted me about $350 over and above the price of the tires just for the install :yikes:! The guy at the service counter said that they need to take off the bags and exhaust to get the rear tire off, which is part of the reason for this inflated price. Does that seem accurate to you, or am I being bent over, so to speak?:smilies6:

Thanks in advance.

Dale

The last two sets I had installed at my local 'Y' dealer ran $90 and $125. They needed the biz the first time..... Ride in, go have breakfast, come back 2 hrs later, and ride out.... Bought the E3 tires elsewhere....

Hey Dale,

I would go find a good M/C jack then pick up one of carbon one's (Larry) RSV jack adaptor.

Play with the jack to make sure you get it stable and tie the bike down to the jack using a couple of ratchet straps.

All of this should cost you under $200.00 then you will have everything for the future.

To remove the rear wheel jack the bike up just until the rear tire slightly touches the ground.

Remove the lower nut and bolt holding the shock to the lower pivot arm.

Remove the rear brake caliper bolts from the mounting frame

Then jack the bike up until the axel bolt is below the exhaust pipe.

Remove the axel nut then tap out the bolt then jack up the bike until the wheel is just slightly touching the ground then slide the wheel off the final drive and out from the bike.

Once you have done this a couple of times the equipment will pay for it self and then some.

To reinstall just reverse everything.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others may have additional advice as well.

PS: Hope to see you in Castleger BC in July.

Or you could od this. I have started doing this now. It isn't hard. But, make sure you strap the bike to the jack! Don't ask me why I know.

I buy the tire, sometimes from them, sometimes not. I take the wheel off the bike, very easy, take it to them (leave the spacers at home). They charge $25 to mount/balance the tire. At the same time it gives me a chance to grease the splines, check/replace/ or switch the rear brake pads (0ne side wears faster, bon't recall which side). I get about 11k miles to a rear, it don't matter the brand of a 75+H rated tire.

@Dale124 don't deal with the stealer (a Yamaha shop or for that matter, any other dealer). Find a "all-brands" repair shop. They are almost always going to be much less expensive.

That said, if you can pull the wheel yourself ... saves a ton of money.

Thanks in advance.

Dale

Yep,, thats whats known as the bend over program in the industry 7 (1+2+4 = 7).. It's 10 dollars here to have a tire swapped if you bring em just the wheel/tire - no idea what the shops charge on the bike but I can say its 15 minutes off, 15 minutes on with Tweeks - been a while but last time I checked, going shop rate was 80 bucks an hour. 1/2 that would be 40 bucks for labor + 10 for tire swap would be 50 bucks.. :think:,, thinking if I had been in your shoes I would have asked them to check their calculator and make sure the kid running it had the decimal point selector set in the right place.:happy34:

I think it cost me around $750 two tires installed last year.

Hokey spamokey and rocky jalopy Sleepy :confused24:,,,, wanna hear something really CRAZY? THAT is exactly what I paid for Tweeks as a complete bike a little over 270k miles ago :confused07:.. In your case I would have been asking where the rest of the bike I just paid for was :puzzled:,,, :hihi:

Truly you guys, I am so inline with the others who have mentioned picking up a HF Jack and doing your own tire swaps.. You can also grab one of their cheapy bead breakers (think I paid 12 bucks for mine) and a set of spoons and do the full job yourself.. Its not that difficult AND, seems how you guys ride in some area's that dont always have a bike shop within a few hundred miles (7 - I KNOW you do this) knowing how to swap out a tire on your scoot might just come in handy when your out there chasing that front wheel!

I buy the tire, sometimes from them, sometimes not. I take the wheel off the bike, very easy, take it to them (leave the spacers at home). They charge $25 to mount/balance the tire. At the same time it gives me a chance to grease the splines, check/replace/ or switch the rear brake pads (0ne side wears faster, bon't recall which side). I get about 11k miles to a rear, it don't matter the brand of a 75+H rated tire.

And ANOTHER one who is getting over 10k miles out of their rear tire - UNREAL!!! Arbi,, I am gonna go start a poll on tire mileage just to :stirthepot: around here.. Been a long time since I did one of those poll thingys,, this could be fun!!:cool10:

Thanks for all the replays, folks. It seems we are all over the map on this one. Canadian prices seem higher, no doubt. I am possibly the least mechanically inclined people on this forum, so even though I do have a jack and the stand that Ed mentioned, it is beyond my comfort zone to take the wheels off myself. I will certainly check around at local shops and see f someone is more reasonable, but I have my doubts.

Dale124, If you have the jack and the stand you got them to do some work yourself. You have the tool skill, you just need the experience of doing it. Here in Texas as elsewhere Venture riders get together to assist each other working on their bikes for exactly things like this. I'm sure someone in CA that lives nearby can show you how it's done for the price of a free lunch.

Cowpuc, As you know I just returned from a maintenance day. I surveyed fellow riders on rear tire mileage. It appears they favor Dunlop E3's and average 13k miles. Never ran them but will now as I need a rear on the Venture. One 1st gen rider claims to get 17k out of them.

Dale124, If you have the jack and the stand you got them to do some work yourself. You have the tool skill, you just need the experience of doing it. Here in Texas as elsewhere Venture riders get together to assist each other working on their bikes for exactly things like this. I'm sure someone in CA that lives nearby can show you how it's done for the price of a free lunch.

Cowpuc, As you know I just returned from a maintenance day. I surveyed fellow riders on rear tire mileage. It appears they favor Dunlop E3's and average 13k miles. Never ran them but will now as I need a rear on the Venture. One 1st gen rider claims to get 17k out of them.

Hey Arb, you are touching on the very reason why I posted up a recent survey about tire life - THANK YOU!! Any idea if the E3's those guys were talking about were the radials or the bias tire? It is my understanding that they (the E3's) come either way.. Just curious cause I may very well spend the bucks and give em a shot and find out for myself... If I could get 15k out of a rear tire that would be 3 to 1 of what I have done so far.. I am with ya,, be worth looking at!!

Notice your out in the Lone Star State.. Is that where the MD was? I only ask cause that may have bearing on some thoughts I have on why I get such low mileage from my tires - I ride a fair amount of hot tarmac and know that you guys do to!!

Thanks Art!

Cowpuc, Yes the MD was in Texas just outside of Houston. And the tires are bias ply. Most roads I ride here in Texas are chip-seal and I don't "baby it" when I ride either but I'm not afraid to drag "hard parts" in the twisties when I can find them.

Cowpuc, Yes the MD was in Texas just outside of Houston. And the tires are bias ply. Most roads I ride here in Texas are chip-seal and I don't "baby it" when I ride either but I'm not afraid to drag "hard parts" in the twisties when I can find them.

Balancing beads or balanced with weights Art?