IGNORED

How do you 2nd Gen riders swap out rear tires on the road?

cowpuc

You guys got some kind of trick? Was looking at the GORGEOUS 2nd Gen that Don just posted up - WOW is that pretty - and it occurred to me that the 2nd Gens dont have a center stand.. I read somewhere a while back about taking a newer Wing and laying it on its side to swap the rear tire in one of those road side emergency situations that some of us have incurred.. Any tricks like that you 2nd Genners have come up with for handling roadside tire swaps?

DSCN3776.JPG

I would call AAA and have them take it to the nearest dealer.

If you have their premium plan they will take a bike up to 200 miles for free.

Beats having to roll the wheel both ways :)

I also use ride-on to seal small punctures and hope I just don't get a blowout.

You don't. I carry a plug/Co2 kit in my saddle bag. That should hold it until I can either get it to a dealer if too far away from home or if I am close enough....get it home. I would never attempt a road side swap. Trying to break the bead and dismount and mount the tire? No thanks. As far as taking it off along side the road and hitching a ide to a dealer for mounting and dismounting, just get it there and let them do it.

Had JUST put a brand new tire on the scoot before we left, about 700 miles on it before the pic above happened... Down near Johnson City Tennessee when - BANG - INSTANT FLAT!! Just about had the wheel off when my first possible ride into Johnson City stopped.. Guy parked, walked up and ask if we needed help, said he would be glad to take me and the wheel into town - LOTS of great folks out there but not all have a bike trailer with them and most cars have a trunk big enough to haul a bike wheel.. Guy stood there and a "rattle" as I spun the rear wheel with the flat new tire on it.. He says,, you got wayyy more problems than a flat tire my friend - you got a wheel bearing gone - hear that rattle? I said, nope,, what ever punctured my new tire is still inside of it - thats what your hearing rattling.. Took the wheel into "Jims" in Johnson City (GREAT GUYS!! sold me a brand new Dunlop for $110 installed and gave me the grand tour of their facilities - WOW you should see the bikes they got upstairs in that place - LIKE A MUSEUM!!!) and THIS is what the guy who swapped out the tire found inside of it - looks like a split rim clamp off a semi or something... I do carry tire plugs, 6 dollar Habour Freight air compressor, set of tire irons and all that in Tweeks Maintenance Dept but things like this do still happen,, thankfully not every trip BUT I still like to be able to do something if it does...

DSCN3777.JPG

It would be impossible to do unless you had a lift. Even if ithad a centerstand, you have to get it so high for the wheel to clear that fender that the only way to get there is with a lift. I carry plugs and co2 as well as a small compressor. If I cannot get going with that, its tow time.

Few Tips: Always put in a bottle of " Ride-ON " in my new tires. I also carry the " Stop & Go " Tire Plugger kit. And an electric pump.

The last Rear, E-3 I replaced, ( 18K on it ) had a 6 Penny Nail stuck thru the caseing, and it was all Rusty, had been there a long time.

SO, the Ride-On Did work !. At least that time it did.

I buy Ride On by the case, as I have 3 bikes in my garage. Install it in every new tire change . And Always carry 2 spare bottles with me.

My Plan " B " is as follows. I have a Center Stand on my 08. ( Very Seldom use it though ) If flat rear, Park bike with Rear tire on edge of Cement.

Wheel, out over Dirt, next to concrete. Dig a hole in dirt to allow you to Drop the wheel down and out of rear fender.

I have never done this, but it should work. ??? ((( Well, maby ?? )))

The Stop and Go Plugger is a real quality Plugging kit !! I never go without it. I did drill a hole in an old caseing, and instlled a plug with the

plugger. Seems to work just fine ! ( I never leave home without it !! As they say )

I had a flat on mine. Tried to pump it up but no dice. Friend had a can of fix a flat so we tried it and it ran out on the ground. Had a 3" gash in the side we did not see. Another friend had gone home to get his trailer to haul it home. BTW the tire was a new E3 with less than 70 miles on it.

I had a flat on mine. Tried to pump it up but no dice. Friend had a can of fix a flat so we tried it and it ran out on the ground. Had a 3" gash in the side we did not see. Another friend had gone home to get his trailer to haul it home. BTW the tire was a new E3 with less than 70 miles on it.

??? What did you hit that gashed the side of the tire ??? That can't be an easy thing to do !

I agree, the Sealer stuff won't work for Side Damage, to a caseing.

Thinking about it Puc. Keep a few blocks of wood to fit under the swingarm and dig hole?? A square of oak the size of trunk bottom to fit on bottom of stack??:think::think: With my luck this will happen..:bang head::bang head:

In my case Dan, I always figured what happened to Roller and has happened to me on numerous occasions is part of the adventure of chasing the front wheel.. Its not a matter of if, more a matter of when and where.. There are a number of places that Tweeks like to drag Tip and I to that tend to be "out of the way" and I REALLY like knowing I can get the back tire off if I need to..

How about this you guys,, is the side stand on the 2nd Gen strong enough that it could handle the weight of the bike resting on it if you lifted against it? Is it centrally located on the frame so a person could place a small jack on the other side of the bike and lift against the side stand or is it forward mounted like a Harley? Maybe a small, collapsable "scissor" jack (like one found in a compact car) stored in the bikes Maintenance Dept could come in handy if things went south when riding out west...

??? What did you hit that gashed the side of the tire ??? That can't be an easy thing to do !

Might not be an easy thing to do George but, for some of us,, it seems like an easy thing to have done to us :big-grin-emoticon:

How about this you guys,, is the side stand on the 2nd Gen strong enough that it could handle the weight of the bike resting on it if you lifted against it? Is it centrally located on the frame so a person could place a small jack on the other side of the bike and lift against the side stand or is it forward mounted like a Harley? Maybe a small, collapsable "scissor" jack (like one found in a compact car) stored in the bikes Maintenance Dept could come in handy if things went south when riding out west...

Puc, The short answer is 'Yes'.

The sidestand is strong enough to carry the weight of the bike. I had a tire starting to show cord while cruising across South Dakota several years ago (last time I will ever run a D404 - it was only about 4000 miles old). Found a local Honda dealer in Chamberlain, SD that had a E3 in stock. Pulled into their shop and the technician asked if I had tools to help (I wanted to get it done in a hurry and he was elbow deep in another job). Yes, I did.

Took the saddle bags off, removed the throttle side muffler, loosened the brake caliper bracket, loosened the axle pinch bolt, and removed the axle nut from the clutch side. This was done while on the side stand.

The technician came over and put a floor jack under the foot board clamp and jacked it up with most of the weight being carried by the sidestand. I had never seen this done. We pulled the axle and removed the tire. While he was changing out the tire, I asked where his Honda Moly60 was so I could lube the drive splines (pointed to his workbench).

Overall, I was back on the road in under 30 minutes (and about $300 lighter in the wallet if I recall correctly). Paid the tech a $20 tip for his help and for letting me help so it could be done faster.

So, yes, the sidestand can hold the weight (sample test size of 1).

RR

Puc,

I would think you could pull the right side saddlebag and muffler, then lay her down on the left side. As long as fuel is shut off and you have a blankie under the left saddlebag, you probably could change the tire on the road. You may choose to remove left saddlebag and muffler for easier access to axle nut as well...but those quick to do if you use neverseize stuff on mufflers. Getting her back up might be an issue as we get older....sigh...but I think it could be done with standard tools you carry.

You would still need clearance on left side to get the axle nut off or back on (I would loosen everything before leaning her over.)

Just thinking out loud here...

david

Puc, The short answer is 'Yes'.

The sidestand is strong enough to carry the weight of the bike. I had a tire starting to show cord while cruising across South Dakota several years ago (last time I will ever run a D404 - it was only about 4000 miles old). Found a local Honda dealer in Chamberlain, SD that had a E3 in stock. Pulled into their shop and the technician asked if I had tools to help (I wanted to get it done in a hurry and he was elbow deep in another job). Yes, I did.

Took the saddle bags off, removed the throttle side muffler, loosened the brake caliper bracket, loosened the axle pinch bolt, and removed the axle nut from the clutch side. This was done while on the side stand.

The technician came over and put a floor jack under the foot board clamp and jacked it up with most of the weight being carried by the sidestand. I had never seen this done. We pulled the axle and removed the tire. While he was changing out the tire, I asked where his Honda Moly60 was so I could lube the drive splines (pointed to his workbench).

Overall, I was back on the road in under 30 minutes (and about $300 lighter in the wallet if I recall correctly). Paid the tech a $20 tip for his help and for letting me help so it could be done faster.

So, yes, the sidestand can hold the weight (sample test size of 1).

RR

Now YOU are a varmint after my own heart Red!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The pic below is from a situation almost exactly like your talking about brother!! Running a dog gone 404, 3600 miles on her and pulled into Moab Utah - tread getting really slim - ONLY tire I could find in alllll of Moab was another 404 - guy wanted 215 bucks for it :95: .. Made a few phone calls and found the closest next shop was Richland,, or Richfield or something like that.. Told Tip that I would rather risk in and keep heading west.. Got lost in the mountains, 2 days later pulled into Richland, all they had was another dog gone 404 BUT - 95 bucks so I bit.. They said they wouldnt be able to fit us in till the next morning,, said no problem - I will take it cash and carry and borrow your parking lot for 1/2 hour or so.. They said, if you can pull it we will mount it free - COOL!!

That 404 was gone by the time we got to Cali,, 404's are TERRIBLE as far as mileage goes (IMHO)..

REALLY nice to know that the side stand on the 2nd Gen is worthy!! Have used it on other bikes (dirt bikes mostly) in just such a way.. Knowing that, if we ever do get the honor/pleasure of owning a 2nd Gen I will DEFINITELY be carrying a small sissor jack just for such an occasion! If the side is worthy, I bet a varmint could also use the same arrangement (side stand/sissor jack) to swap a front tire too - or other lifted scoot needs for that matter.. @videoarizona David - GOOD THOUGHT TOO BROTHER and certainly NOT beyond something I would do.. Gotta say though,, getting a little older sure makes my back side ache just thinking of trying to get that puppy back upright.. Wanna hear something crazy? On a trip out exploring the Utah Mountains a few years ago my cousin and I got our bikes sideways on a mountain. He on his Virago and me on one of my 1st Gens.. We were able to get his Virago straightend around with only a forward peg broken off but we had to roll my Venture over in order to get it upright.. Took a windshield (was ok - it was one I had cut down to about 4" anyway) and a mirror in the process - was running "baggered" so no trunk.. As we were rolling her upside down I laughed and said "too bad I dont need to do a tire swap cause this would be easy!!".. If any of you lop eareds ever decide to try this (or probably even Davids suggestion for an emergency tire swap) after doing so it is probably best to NOT try to start your scoot till the oil has a chance to return to its proper places.. Just let it set for 15 or 20 minutes..

GOOD INFO GANG!! THANK YOU!!:thumbsup:

DSCN8845.JPG

DSCN8843.JPG

DSCN8841.JPG

DSCN8849.JPG

I hit a piece of flat metal that the bike in front of me kicked up. It was spinning when I hit it. I swerved to miss it but not quick enough. We were doing about 65Mph when that happened.

I wouldnt even try. Its got to be so high off ground, bags off, mufflers off. It would be dark before you could get it off dinking around without proper tools etc. Then there is the tools needed to break it down and the disk not getting dinged up.

I wouldnt even try. Its got to be so high off ground, bags off, mufflers off. It would be dark before you could get it off dinking around without proper tools etc. Then there is the tools needed to break it down and the disk not getting dinged up.

Bet you never broke a tire down and pulled the tube patched it and put it all back togather without removing the wheel??

If there was a tree near by, we would use a come-along on the older Harley's. I don't know if this would work with the newer bikes, but, at that time, we all had tall sissy bars.

That would actually work, the shop I go to use a chain winch (I think that is what it is called?) that is attached to the ceiling beams to lift mine up. They use the hand grab bars in the back as attachment points. You would need a sky-hook to do that on the road though:stirthepot:

Bet you never broke a tire down and pulled the tube patched it and put it all back together without removing the wheel??

I could see it being done IF. I had some way to break the bead that didnt include me standing on a 2x6 which is pretty much how I have had to do them in the past. Wont happen anymore as new bike has belt drive so axle goes all the way through.

I could see it being done IF. I had some way to break the bead that didnt include me standing on a 2x6 which is pretty much how I have had to do them in the past. Wont happen anymore as new bike has belt drive so axle goes all the way through.

Not to speak for Dan but I think he is referring to a method that can only apply to tires with inner tubes in em. Basically slipping the tube out and patching it and slipping it back in with the wheel/axle still intact on the scoot.. Kind of an old school biker thing that went out with spoked wheels.. Gotta say,, it worked GREAT back in the day as long as your scoot didnt have rim locks....