IGNORED

Modular Helmet Feedback

Great adVENTURE

Looking to replace my very worn out first generation HJC Sy-Maxx. After plenty of research i have come to the decision to get a Bell Revolver Evo particularly the Optimus Hi-Viz Model. I thought i would be happy with the Scorpion EXO CT220 3/4 helmet that I just bought but I really hate it. I realize that i like the modular for being the best of both worlds. Anyone have experience with the Bell Revolver? Also my head measures 22 3/4" which is the high side of medium and low side of large, what size should i get? My must have in a helmet list includes: Hi-Viz paint, Modular, enough mounting point on chin bar for my gopro, comfy enough for 2+ hours at a time, chin curtain to help control the neck beard some, and Transition face shield. My J&M headset isn't a must but i would like that or a bluetooth communication system to be compatible. This helmet seems to meet all of this and the great $200 price point. Anyone want to put there 2 cents in? Thanks guys and gals you all and this forum have been a great guidance.

image.jpeg

Edited by Great adVENTURE

GMax GM54S Modular Helmet

I bought two of these so my bride would wear a helmet more (All the time ) and it works well. I have been tweaking mine got some thinner cheek pads and molded the foam slightly on the forehead .We have a few 3 hr. rides in and the only gripe, cheek pads. Give the video and read all the options it has. I'm on the fence about the remote brake light . I try not to ride at night around the rural area here , to many critters.

http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-helmets/modular-flipup/gmax-helmets-gmax-gm54s-helmet-solid

I tried the EVO and it was a "fitment" issue for me. The Bell was a "round" fit and I guess my head is an oblong size. My HJC and Arai helmets seem to fit best and I can wear them the longest.

With the generous return policys of most mail order places, get one and try the fit. Even better if you have a dealer in your area you can walk into and try one out.

We've been mostly happy with our Scorpion EXO modulars. Put Ed Sets in them.

We went about 1300 miles last week with ours.

We both had some discomfort around our foreheads a time or two in the long days. They're heavy helmets.

My wife uses the internal air pump to change the fit time to time.

We've been mostly happy with our Scorpion EXO modulars. Put Ed Sets in them.

We went about 1300 miles last week with ours.

We both had some discomfort around our foreheads a time or two in the long days. They're heavy helmets.

My wife uses the internal air pump to change the fit time to time.

I like the Scorpions... Except my forehead hurts from the seam inside. Leaves a nice horizontal line on my head as well. Got to cut that part out!

I tried the EVO and it was a "fitment" issue for me. The Bell was a "round" fit and I guess my head is an oblong size. My HJC and Arai helmets seem to fit best and I can wear them the longest.
That's interesting, the Arai I had fit my medium melon perfectly while the HJC Symax II needed a tiny amount removed from the forehead foam to fit my ovalness. Once that was done wearing it forever is totally comfortable. Other than spending waaay too much on the Arai Genesis, I've never looked at any other the expensive models so don't know what you would get in return for an excessive amount of cash. To me, a helmet is a tool rather than a fashion statement.

The HJC I have is the IS-MAX-BT.
This is embarrassing. For some reason I decided to check my helmet and it turned out that both my helmets are IS-MAX-BT as well. :doh:

Don't know how I got that turned around. In any case, in general it is probably not so important.

Seems to me one of the most important things to take away from a discussion on helmets is whether the general architecture of a brand will fit a round head or an oval head and anything in between. Reading reviews on webBBikeWorld can shed light on which helmet is most likely to fit a particular head shape. Try on a few, or a lot, at local bike shops to find the ones that fit your head the best which will help decide what your personal shape is. Then, within that parameter, shop for the features and price that works for you.

When I purchased my current helmet I had not done any research because the one that was being replaced had broken when I was on the road. Tried on the IS-MAX-BT (got it right that time) and it felt OK but after wearing it for 5 hours my forehead had a dint along with a slight ache from a pressure point. Removed about 1/16" of foam from a 1X3 area in the critical spot and it was good.

Other than the minor fitment issue this helmet has given me excellent service with over 11,000 hours of wear and still counting.

Guess the only way to get it right is to try it on. There just isn't any retailers that carry the overhead of having anything but the popular helmets in stock. Revzilla seems to have the best customer service when it comes to returning a helmet. Best fitting helmet I have had is my vega half helmet which has a very noticeable oval shape.

Remember the NHL before the expansion. When in 1959 Jacques Plante of the Montreal Canadians, came out wearing a goaltender mask. This mask was made by first making a mold of his face and then using that mold to create the mask. Wonder if helmets could be made in a similar way so it is conforms to the individual head shape.

Edited by saddlebum

I didn`t see any comments on here about the Nolans,I`ve been wearing them for about 10 years,a little spendy but fit very well and have set up for blue tooth and intercom in the helmet.

Rick,

My wife and I wear Nolan's and love them. We have the funky N43 Trilogy's. They have a chin bar that can be removed by the click of two levers. I bought them because they have a much wider area of vision than a traditional full face or modular helmet.

Remember the NHL before the expansion. When in 1959 Jacques Plante of the Montreal Canadians, came out wearing a goaltender mask. This mask was made by first making a mold of his face and then using that mold to create the mask. Wonder if helmets could be made in a similar way so it is conforms to the individual head shape.
Perhaps more simple to implement and more likely to be cost effective would be a pump-up liner similar to that used in decent ski boots.

Perhaps more simple to implement and more likely to be cost effective would be a pump-up liner similar to that used in decent ski boots.

Our flight helmets (SPH5 or HGU56) have what is termed a "TPL" or "thermoplastic liner". To the common man, it would look like simple bubble wrap. The helmets still have teh styrofaom like layer, the TPL is for final fit, comfort and some impact absorption. It's inside a soft fabric sleeve.

It is removable (IE: washable), made in layers and peel-able. We start removing layers until we find a good fit and no "hot spots". If a guy has a certain point on his head or it's a bit of an "off" shape, we have a procedure where the TPL is heated and then placed on the individuals head. It's then custom fit and put back in the helmet. You then still have the option of peeling a layer or two if it's still uncomfortable.

Now, hair growth is a factor in such a precise fit to an individual. But we're military so hair growth is a big variable for us.....

But something similar would be a nice thing to see in a motorcycle helmet. Something you can custom fit to your head.

Whether or not it would meet DOT requirements I have no idea. But it is meant to protect us in crashes that can exceed 20 G's, so there must be something to it.....:)

Our flight helmets (SPH5 or HGU56) have what is termed a "TPL" or "thermoplastic liner". To the common man, it would look like simple bubble wrap. The helmets still have teh styrofaom like layer, the TPL is for final fit, comfort and some impact absorption. It's inside a soft fabric sleeve.

It is removable (IE: washable), made in layers and peel-able. We start removing layers until we find a good fit and no "hot spots". If a guy has a certain point on his head or it's a bit of an "off" shape, we have a procedure where the TPL is heated and then placed on the individuals head. It's then custom fit and put back in the helmet. You then still have the option of peeling a layer or two if it's still uncomfortable.

Now, hair growth is a factor in such a precise fit to an individual. But we're military so hair growth is a big variable for us.....

But something similar would be a nice thing to see in a motorcycle helmet. Something you can custom fit to your head.

Whether or not it would meet DOT requirements I have no idea. But it is meant to protect us in crashes that can exceed 20 G's, so there must be something to it.....:)

Like some skates you can buy , I like that idea.

Since the TPL is removable could it be fitted to an MC helmet? I still like the idea of a pump system better. It would also accommodate transitioning from Hippie to Aryan Brother as the mood strikes. :innocent:

Since the TPL is removable could it be fitted to an MC helmet? I still like the idea of a pump system better. It would also accommodate transitioning from Hippie to Aryan Brother as the mood strikes. :innocent:

Doubtful it would work as expected. It's designed to work as part of the helmet system.

It fits across the brow, narrows towards the crown and then widens again at the nape. This is mainly to accommodate the ear cups (oil filled like ear defenders) in the helmet that give hearing protection and intercom.

It's not really meant to work as a "stand alone" thing, it needs the rest of the helmet it was designed for.

Using something like it in a mc helmet meants the helmet would have to be designed to use it.

Doubtful it would work as expected. It's designed to work as part of the helmet system.

It would be great if someone came up with an adjustable helmet inter-liner that would go between the foam shell and the comfort liner. We have XXL to XXS with round and oval but the reality is almost everyone is somewhere in between.