IGNORED

Way off course

Yammer Dan

Ok the Warden and I have a few (mighty Few) bucks in our savings account these days. Is there a good safe investment that could make a little. I'm skeered of the Stock Market and know nothing about it. Utilities?? Savings pays almost nothing anymore. I know. This is what everyone is looking for. Right??

I hear the got these here machines you put dollars in and pull a handle and they hold on to it for you. Every once in a blue moon they give you some back.

Sorry I am about as bad off. I got some coins in 401k which of course is market driven. Annuities a few of them some how gaurentee returns maybe check with one of them guys.

If you consider annuities and are nervous about the market, the only one to even give a passing look to i a FIXED annuity. It offers an interest rate that is disclosed at the beginning and does not change, much like a bank savings account. Interest rates won't be much better than a passbook account, but the risk is pretty much eliminated.

Don't let anyone convince you that an Index Annuity will protect your investment. There are so many moving parts in them, they end up not being better than a passbook savings account, and they have large fees if you take your money out.

I used to have an investment business and researched these products.

You need to go have a chat with a fiduciary. That is someone that does not sell anything but financial info to help determine your goals and current risk factors and help you create a plan to reach those goals. You can then go shopping for the places to put your money armed with some unbiased information.

If the person you are talking to tries to sell you any stock annuity or any other financial thing, then you are with a salesman, and not a fiduciary regardless of what the sign on the door or their business card says.

Dan, anything that has a bigger payoff is a risk. One possibility for you would be precious metals i.e. Gold and Silver. Unfortunately they too rise and fall like the stock market but are a lot more stable. Now is a good time to invest as their prices are down...

I felt the same way after being ripped off by a stock broker for a major investment firm...Dean Whitter. Still angry with those guys for their churning my account and not listening to me. (Churning - selling and buying investments for the sole purpose to increase commissions.)

I was gun shy for some time until this young man came knocking on our door asking for our business with a firm I hadn't heard of...Edward Jones. My wife went with him but I said "No Way"...door to door yet". Well truth be told...I saw the plan the wifey had and finally relented. He took my meager savings (what was left from DW) and started an investment plan for me. Now, 14 years later...I've survived two wall street crashes and still happy with my choice. I hope to finish off my life and still be able to leave something for the kiddies....which was my goal.

Here's the difference: Edward Jones will never churn your account to make commissions. They will suggest an investment plan best for you then stick with it.

Now I'm not affiliated with these guys except to have my retirement in their hands....so I can say...go talk to a guy/gal at EJ. Tell them your fears, be honest and upfront. Then listen. If after your conversation you still aren't convinced...walk away.

I say this because investing in mutual funds and stocks is the only way to make money other than real estate and antiques. Those two will always go up....

Some mutual funds are based on stocks and some on bonds..each has benefits depending upon where the market is. If interest rates drop..bonds are good. If interest rates rise, bonds are bad. A balanced portfolio is what makes the difference...so regardless of what the market does...some part of your portfolio is making bux. A good broker will make sure you are in the middle...increasing your risk (and profits) if you are young enough to recover from a loss or lowering the risk if you are an old phart like me who can't afford any more losses since I'm retired. I'm in it for the long run...the only way to maximize profit and minimize risk.

Sorry for the long post. Just want to let you know there are brokers out there who have integrity and sincerely want to help you put your $$ to work for you...not them! No one can predict what the market will do day to day...but the smart ones will "know" the trend of the market and adapt to that direction. That person is who you want watching over and guiding your bux.

BTW, I'm still with that young man who is now older and wiser. But his tune hasn't changed. I'm pleased that I finally found someone who listens. I hope you do too...

david

Edited by videoarizona
add

I know almost nothing of investing. I'll say that up front. But I do read and watch the news. The market has been on a record bull run and is due for a correction from what I've been reading. The Fed is talking about raising interest rates before the year's end and that will bring down the market some. China's currency is supposedly going to be approved as one of the official currencies for international trade in October which is supposed to drain some money from the US to China.

Talk to a knowledgeable person before acting! It ain't me!

Dan, do you have any hobbies out side of collecting Ventures?? Fishing?? Guns?? etc. Something you know a fair amount about... Buy 'm and sell 'm. Garage sales are great for fishing equipment source. Auctions are good for firearms. Always look for the bargain. I used to do camera equipment back in another lifetime. Did it for almost 20 years. Averaged 385% ROI.. (Return On Investment). Buy it for a buck and sell it for four... I don't trust any non-tangible investment... I want more control over what I'm doing. Wanna gamble go to Atlantic City....

I had some stock for about thirty years and it keeps going up up up. So much that last month it split so now I have twice as many shares now and it still going up. Just like my retirement, it keeps going up up up.

:mo money:

Commercial Mortgage Bridge Loans allow you the investor to earn a guaranteed 6% annual yield in monthly checks and then receive your principal back in a completely secure way in one year. To find out more and sign up for a mortgage bridge loan, contact Knowles Systems.

Resource: Knowles Systems

Phone: 888-518-3113 ext 1

Supposedly pretty safe. Info came from: http://www.moneyanswers.com/investing.html

If you can swing it buy a rental property and let someone else pay the mortgage. You must be handy if you ride a 1st Gen so you can probably handle the property maintenance yourself. Find a good Realtor who understands the math on an investment property and buy in the best neighborhood you can afford. Close to a university or hospitals is always a win. The market is on an upswing but with interest rates at 4% it's still a good time to buy. Real estate should be a minimum 10 year investment so don't go into it expecting to get rich quick like so many fools did back in 06/07. Yes I'm a Realtor.

I had some stock for about thirty years and it keeps going up up up. So much that last month it split so now I have twice as many shares now and it still going up. Just like my retirement, it keeps going up up up.

:mo money:

Don't Leslie have something for you to do??

My local utility has a program that allows you to invest in their stock and they don't charge any fees. Pays about 4 % right now. I have it taken out of my account automatically every month and after several years it has accumulated quite a bit. The dividends are reinvested. I plan to start collecting them when I retire. In 2008 it dropped when the rest of the market crashed but not as bad.

I would beg to differ on the realestate allways going up. Atleast not around here. It is very slooowly creeping up. But anything bought say 2009,10 you still are behind the curve by about 20%. Usually it was a good investment, but after all the "flipping" that went on for quick cash you have to look it over and know your stuff. Guys knocked out walls and rewired stuff and didnt have a clue about load bearing or circuits.