IGNORED

5th Wheel or Bumper tow?

SilvrT

So we're thinking about buying a travel trailer. Probably something older and under 6 grand (which there seems to be a lot of) around the 22 - 26 ft size.

Interested in hearing comments for/against 5th wheel versus bumper tow. We're leaning towards 5th wheel. Also what to watch out for that might not be obvious.

Slide-out or no slide? Issues one might come across with a slide?

Well, we went with bumper tow. Mainly because we didn't want the step up into the bathroom/bedroom area and loosing storage in the truck bed.

Our trailer is 35 feet and tows like its not back there most of the time. Presents less of a frontal area since its not up and over the truck. We just had it delivered from our last posting and the guy who dropped it off couldn't believe how easy it towed for 35 feet and 9000 lbs.

I use a weight distribution hitch with active sway control. What the hitch does is a "trick" of geometry to fool the truck into thinking it has a fifth wheel attached. Basically, the weight point in above the rear axle. It's sounds like malarky, but it works.

5th wheel is easier to maneuver into and out of right spots.

5th wheel will allow you to get a toyhauler model if you would like to take the bike with you.

5th wheels are "anti sway" by design. Bumper tow needs an anti sway mechanism, usually friction bars or such.

5th wheels are easier to hook up solo.

5th wheels need a special "slider" hitch if your truck is a short box or you could hit the cab when backing and turning.

5th wheels pretty much screw up any real storage in the bed except for small items.

You need to be far more aware with a 5th wheel on overhead clearances (ie: underpasses, signs,etc)

Pretty sure most (if not all) Canadian provinces don't allow a tandem tow on recreational trailers.

That's about it off the top of my head.

I also will never own another trailer WITHOUT slide outs. No cost when towing other than a bit more weight but the extra space is INVALUABLE at the camp site. Especially if you get rained out for the week and youre stuck in the trailer with a bunch of people. Even if its just the type where the bed or couch slide out, you won't believe how much difference it will make in interior space and comfort. It's often the difference in being able to walk around the bed and having to climb over it. I don't know about you, but I'm getting old enough to not want to be climbing over anything....

Get the slide out awnings if you have an option for them. They're great because theynkeep leaves and rain from laying of the slide outs. So when you pull them in to go they're dry and clean, even in the rain. Put the slide lock bars in when towing and remember to remove them before extending or you can do some real danger to the trailer. It's not a problem if you just take your time and keep SA about what is what.

:)

Edited by Great White

1. In Manitoba, you can pull two trailers if youmeet these three requirements:

• You must use a fifth-wheel hitch for the firsttrailer to pull another trailer behind it.

• The combined weight of the trailers isn’t morethan twice your vehicle’s gross vehicle weight.

• The combined length of your vehicle with twotrailers attached is no more than 23 m (75 ft.).

I had a 25' tow behind travel trailer for several years I towed it 600 miles one way from Raleigh NC to Disney World right after buying it and I did not have sway control. I was a road hazard. It took both hands on the steering wheel to keep it on the road especially when I was passed. I cringed every time a tractor trailer passed me. It was all I could do to keep it on the road. The truck would pull me towards it when he passed and push me away when he cleared me. I didn't dare go faster than 65mph which was the speed limit. Everybody was passing me. The first thing I did when I returned was to buy a Reese dual cam sway control that worked with the Reese weight distributing hitch. It felt solid after that with no sway.

The weight distributing hitch does what it is named. It distributes the hitch weight over the entire tow vehicle and keeps the tow vehicle level. No heavy duty springs needed in the rear. I was using a short wheel base F150 to tow my trailer. A long wheel base truck would have been more stable.

But, a 5th wheel would be much more stable I'm sure.

I've been lusting for a motorhome for a long time. But, I can't use it enough to justify it while my wife is working and she will probably work many more years considering she is 17 years younger.

You've asked for and got thoughts on towing method. I'll share some things that you need to pay attention to for both types of trailers:

+ Inspect very carefully for ANY evidence of water seepage. The first places to go soft are usually at the bottom of the walls which is often hidden behind cabinets and furniture. Get your foot back in every nook and cranny you can and put weight on it. Any give and you should be very suspicious. Look at the under side of the trailer - if the fabric or rubber is sagging there might be wet insulation, feel for excess weight in those areas. Of course any water stains on the ceiling or walls and you should run away from it.

+ I'm not sure anyone has made anything but a rubber roof for quite some time but I think a rubber roof is a necessity. The seams and joints in an aluminum roof are a maintenance nightmare. Of course the rubber roof shouldn't have any breaks or tears in it.

+ Try every space as you envision using it, including the beds and shower. Our last trailer I was surprised after we bought it (new) that the "Queen" bed was only 6' long and that my head brushed the ceiling in the shower. Anyone taller than me (6') would have been very uncomfortable in the shower. On the other hand, the toilet was so high up my feet wouldn't reach the floor when I wasn't wearing shoes. Sit on a toilet with your feet dangling and you'll realize why it's so hard to potty train the young-uns. Make sure one person can comfortably pass through the galley while the other is cooking.

+ I consider Air Conditioning a necessity, preferably ducted AC. There isn't much window area to open and they get stuffy. In ours I would run the AC blower even when it was cool enough to not use the AC. The only time I didn't use that blower was when we were using the furnace.

+ Most travel trailers here are not suitable for use in freezing temperatures - the holding tanks are exposed to the weather. There are equipment packages to insulate and/or heat the holding tanks. If you're planning to use in cold weather learn what special equipment you may need.

+ Plan for a large fuel bill. Both our travel trailers cut our mileage in half. There were time I rented a cabin rather than tow the trailer because the fuel savings pretty much covered the lodging. If you're not planning to stay in any place more than a couple nights you might find that from a $$ standpoint you're better off in a hotel or cabin.

+ Awnings and their hardware are damage prone and expensive to replace. Look them over carefully.

I have debated the same thing. I would like to get a toy hauler so my problems are a bit different. The wife would like it so the storage area is not part of living quarters IE in the kitchen/livingroom. So that means it has to be about 38' on a bumper pull. Then when you go to the fith wheels the get heavy fast and I would have to get a 1 ton truck vs the 3/4 I already have.

Bumper pull definatly you want the load hitch. Also slides as mentioned would definitely be in my shopping list. Like the man said even if its the couch that slides out. Its one less thing you have to walk around or step over.

I've been lusting for a motorhome for a long time. But, I can't use it enough to justify it while my wife is working and she will probably work many more years considering she is 17 years younger.

That's why they invented fishing buddies and mistresses!

All agreed so far.

I can add a double thought for slide out, wouldn't buy anything without at least one good sized one for living quarters.

Also often forgotten, if you buy a fifth wheel, don't skimp on sleeping room,,, some have it and some do not. You have to be comfortable there as well. Often the reason some are so cheap,,, they just have a bad layout and low head room,,,, not good.

Personally I would make a toy hauler 1st priority, slide out (at least one) second priority and probably would stick with bumper pull.. Reason why is having the back of the truck readily available for more junk is always handy and its usually a lot easier to find someone with a hitch on their truck in an emergency than it is someone running around with a 5th wheel hitch. Also, as mentioned, these modern day Reese hitches with sway bars pull amazingly well.. Not quite as stable as a 5th Wheel but, set up right on those bars - suprisingly well..

To add to points to ponder on what to watch out for. Before you purchase ANYTHING, kneel down behind the rear tandem and line up the outer wheel surface with the wheel in front of it. Do both sides.. Make sure they are parallel.. If it appears to not be parallel with the naked eye, stay away from it.. I have seen quite a few trailers during our travels with tires eaten off and have noticed a rash of improperly hung spindles (not square) for some reason... Just a thought..

Neither a travel trailer nor motorhome can be justified financially. Most likely you will never use it enough to break even compared to motels and better fuel mileage. It's a toy. You don't have to justify it. Life is short. Have a Ball!

Yea the sleep quarters are kind of funky in some. Even if larger 5th wheels. Some we have looked at the only open part of bed is a corner. So you have to crawl over the bed to get in it. Not for me.

I have a 26 foot toyhauler bumper hitch with swaybar set up. Pulls great, left some change on the counter and pulled it home from Sturgis (5 1/2 hours) not one coin was on the floor. I pull it with a 3/4 ton Dodge with the hemi engine. I make about 8 to 9 mpg, trailer is flat front and heavy. It is an enclosed car trailer style with no slides. Sleeps 2 comfortably and if you leave bikes out overnight you can add 2 cots in back.

Now here is what I would like....

28 foot fifth wheel camper, with a smaller enclosed aluminum trailer for bike. I am not quite 50 years old which means I have kids around home and could use it camping. Hard to use hauler in that capacity. Slides are a must.

Beware of ramp height on 5th wheel toy haulers. Some are steep enough where you bottom bike out before you get in. I've seen 2 bikes tip because they catch going into trailer......bad deal. To get proper height on 5th wheels they can ride higher in air.

Lasty, if you are towing with 1/2 ton truck either bumper or 5th wheel, change your tires. Light truck tires don't have strong enough sidewalls. That is where the sway comes into play. Get 10 ply sidewall tires like you have on 3/4 tons and larger pickups, it will help tremendously. I camp beside a guy at Sturgis pulling a 28 foot 5th wheel with a alumalite enclosed trailer. Heavy duty tires and he travels at night when its cooler. He gets along great. Just remembered he runs sway bar kit on his enclosed to help too.

Guest divey

Seriously consider your truck and engine size before you buy anything to pull. A half ton with a mid size V8 will be challenged even with a 22 footer. Gas mileage is one thing but you can cook your transmission in a heartbeat if you lack pulling power. I agree on the posts about slides. You'll regret not having at least one slide and ideally two or three depending on your length of rig. BC doesn't allow pulling double trailers so unless you don't plan on leaving your driveway, that won't be an option for you. Have you considered a decent tent trailer?? They have some very decent hard top tent trailers with slides and king size beds. Much easier to pull and likely easier to find for what you've budgeted for than a hard wall. Ideally, wait and go to the next RV show that hits town. Climb in and out of every one you can to get an idea of the differences, layouts, sizes and the like. Good luck. Doug

Another thing for people to consider, as im sure more than you are watching this topic with interest.

One of my best friends bought a huge 5th wheel triple axle toy hauler and kept it for about 3 years. Pulled it with a 3/4 ton Chevy duramax. Trailer was pretty much too big for truck. After about 3 years of that 42 footer which cost a boatload of cash, he decided to go different route. He shopped around and found a really nice, class A motorhome. He got rid of the huge 5th wheel and the 3/4 ton diesel. By the time he got rid of both of them it didn't cost him any more to go this route. Engine package in it allows him to tow enclosed trailer, matter of fact he bought a jeep for cheap out at Sturgis a year ago, and stuffed it in car trailer he was towing. I tried following him home and couldnt keep up through the rolling hills. When we put gas on, he made as good or better mileage than I did with my enclosed. As a bonus he gets to camp with his young grandkids......He will never go away from this set up. I bet he bought that thing for 45000 to 50000 which is a lot of cash, but if you have to switch pickups to pull a trailer and go new or next to new, give the class A motorhomes a look. There are lots of them that have a widow trying to sell them because they lost their spouse and they no longer can head south for winter. Biggest problem I see with class A motorhomes is where do you store them.

Guy at Sturgis that pulls at night uses a Ford F-150. It has tow package etc., but he added better tires. He doesn't push it when pulling and travels at night. He says he doesn't need the 3/4 ton the way he is set up. Obviously land is pretty flat here on the plains, so he gets away with it.

I have a 36ft bumper pull trailer with 3 slides. As others have said, slides are a must have feature. I use an Equalizer brand hitch and have no noticeable sway while pulling between 60 and 65 mph. Prior to this I had a 28 ft trailer that did have some sway when passing trucks. It also had a weight distributing hitch but I don't think it was as effective on sway control. We chose a bumper pull because I didn't have a need for a pickup truck and I already had the Tahoe. One major advantage to a 5th wheel besides the towing is the additional basement storage space for carrying chairs, grills, toys, etc. If I used my trailer to travel as most do it would not have enough outside storage. Your truck may be a consideration too. Seems most 5th wheels need a 3/4 ton truck due to the high pin weights.

IMG_5593.jpg

I have a Chev Silverado 1500 c/w factory trailer towing pkg. Owner's manual states it's good to pull up to 7,000 lb GVW trailer. Most of the trailers I've been looking at are well below that ... usually around 4,500 lb. Not sure of the pin weights, have yet to investigate that. So far have only been looking on-line. We're heading out this weekend to view some of them. All of them have the extended pin, some have slide-out.

Speaking of "pin" .... We aren't going to hastily "pull the pin" ... mostly just gathering info, looking at different models, layouts, etc to get "educated" and a clear idea of what will work best for us.

As for the Tent Trailer idea ... considered that, not really keen on the idea of another "tenting experience" LOL (the last time was a disaster with our Leesur-Lite)

Same here. We had a pop up years ago. Was not bad for what we used it for then. but no bathroom in it and we ain't going there again. Not all toy haulers have a rear entry. I ran across a couple and really are nice.

1056f3701279691ae360c9f263f20e4b.jpghttp://assets.interactrv.netdna-cdn.com/img.ashx?src=generalrv/unit_photo/286054_1.jpg&width=400&height=300&wm=/generalrv/images/watermark.png&modified=0820201403221130

I have a small toy hauler on my wish list. Something under 20 feet in a bumper pull.

I guess weight distribution of the trailer is something that I had not thought of in a toy hauler until just now.

If you have the correct tongue weight with a 800+lb toy in the back how high does the tongue weight go if the toy is not back there. Is there a way to shift significant weight to get the balance back in the correct place? Same would hold true in a front garage.

I've yet to see a toy hauler in a bumper tow where the garage wasn't up front.

Rear garage would just mess with the tongue weight like crazy. Most manufacturers I've seen compensate for it with water tank placement. But then you have to know when to run with full tanks and when not to.

Personally, I don't think I'd be pulling a toyhauler anything with less than a 3/4 ton diesel. Preferably a 1 ton. Toyhaulers are usually heavy sumbatches, mostly because they need more structure to haul the weight of "toys".

Here's what I've got:

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/sites/rv/images/data/floorplan/2011_ForestRiver_FlagstaffClassicSuperLite_831RLBSS.jpg

2011 Forest river RLBSS. It's just perfect for two people to be in for extended trips. The walking areas are all linoleum, which is nice for easy clean up with the dogs bringing dirt and sand in on their feet. The couch folds out and has an air mattress on it for guests. Mother in law says it's very comfortable, but it's more just a PITA. It's really a two person trailer, which is what we wanted.

I tow it with a GMC 3/4 ton ECLB diesel. Nothing new, it's a 98 6.5 diesel. But it's been worked over quite extensively...;)

But if I had to do it again, I'd probably trade in the truck, get myself a modern 1 ton diesel, grab a 5th wheel toyhauler and slide the Venture and FJ in the back.

Given an unlimited budget (and time to travel), I'd prob buy a Prevost conversion and tow a big enclosed trailer behind as my garage/workshop. Something like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BAkA6HGC63g/U-rVQzi9jeI/AAAAAAAAHo0/OclT8VQhYJw/s1600/DSCN2697.JPG

work area and tools in the front, bikes on a top level lift platform and some kind of sports car/roadster on a bottom.

OOOoooOOOO yeah baby! That's the way to see NA!

:)

Edited by Great White

I've yet to see a toy hauler in a bumper tow where the garage wasn't up front.

Rear garage would just mess with the tongue weight like crazy....

Interesting, I have yet to see in person a toy hauler bumper tow with a front garage. I would think that parking an 800+lb toy up front would mess with the tongue weight just as much.

The only configuration where an 800+lb toy would not mess with the tongue weight is to have the garage over the axle.

Interesting, I have yet to see in person a toy hauler bumper tow with a front garage. I would think that parking an 800+lb toy up front would mess with the tongue weight just as much.

The only configuration where an 800+lb toy would not mess with the tongue weight is to have the garage over the axle.

True. Maybe it's just regional differences dictating what people will (and will not) buy....

Now that ya mention it Jeff, I havent either. All the bumper tow toy haulers I have seen have the garage rearward - kinda makes sense cause I wonder how you would access the garage of it were forward of the housing area - maybe side load?

Personally, If I were going to have a toy hauler (and the rig to pull it with) I would want one big enough to haul a car if necessary. No idea what that would add up to size wise but it just makes sense to be able to do double duty with if needed..

Now if it was unlimited budget time,,, that picture that GW has been planted in my mind for a longggg time - GORGEOUS GW!!!!!!!:thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon: