IGNORED

I just had to set my bike down in a parking lot

CMCOFFEY

I was pulling into a parking lot as someone was backing into a spot near the entrance. They pulled forward to correct and I was going for the same piece of the parking lot. I was turning left, so I was leaned over a little and the sudden stop caused the bike to go to the ground. I stayed upright, and the bike was already dropped on both sides by the PO, so no new damage to the bike. Just a few fresh scrapes on top of the old ones on the crash bars.

These bikes are amazingly gently to put down, and they are not bad to pick back up. The only thing hurt was my pride.

a little embarrassing to drop it in the parking lot with the wife on the back and hear cheering and clapping. Looking up I realized the local bike club was having a meeting on a hill overlooking the store parking lot and had seen the whole thing... try to live that one down...

I was pulling into a parking lot as someone was backing into a spot near the entrance. They pulled forward to correct and I was going for the same piece of the parking lot. I was turning left, so I was leaned over a little and the sudden stop caused the bike to go to the ground. I stayed upright, and the bike was already dropped on both sides by the PO, so no new damage to the bike. Just a few fresh scrapes on top of the old ones on the crash bars.

These bikes are amazingly gently to put down, and they are not bad to pick back up. The only thing hurt was my pride.

Maybe not so nice to ask but I do not see it anywhere else, Which bike did you lay down? The 01 or the 84? Either way mistakes happen and I am happy for you that it was not at any speeds that could of hurt more. You will grow and be a better experienced rider after this.

You will grow and be a better experienced rider after this.

Unless Coff and I really are related as we have talked about,, if thats the case Coff - may as well surrender to the fact that its going to happen time and time again,, key is to dust yourself off and get back on again,, and again, and again :big-grin-emoticon:..

Short story to maybe make ya feel better Coff..

Years ago my cousin on his 1100 Virago and I on one of my 1st Gens headed for Bedaygo Bay in Cali. Few days later and lots of fun riding/ tenting we pulled into California. His first shot at filling his bike up with a California weird rubber necked filler pump thingy found him over filling his tank. He rolls his bike back beside me and points to the fuel running out from under the cap and asked what he should do. I told him to take the cap off and dump a little on the ground. As he leaned his bike I grabbed the bar of it to help him hold it up, his foot slipped and down we both went - him under his bike and me trapped between both bikes. People walking past as two cousins laughed at being trapped. Funny how no one offered to help - told my cousin they were to busy watching the Rip (his biker name) and Puc comedy hour.. :big-grin-emoticon:

glad it was just a few scratches to the bike.

Last summer mine went over on me pulling out of a friends house. Combo of loose gravel and a speeding car coming around a corner. I was holding the bike and had it up to the tipping point to balance it...but my passenger decided to shift weight and I laid it down.

Decided to minimize my chances of going down and injury.....Had my RSV triked.

A 1st Gen seems to have a magic tipping point. Reach that point and the bike ever so slowly is lowered to the ground. There is just no stopping it. And in my experience there will be a 1 in 3 chance that someone is going to get a chuckle out of it.

All 3 times were in my own driveway, all at about 0 miles an hour as I was turning around, and all 3 caused $0 physical damage. In the first 2 weeks of VR ownership.

The way my luck runs the next time will be at work (HD dealership) and on a Saturday event day.

Maybe not so nice to ask but I do not see it anywhere else, Which bike did you lay down? The 01 or the 84? Either way mistakes happen and I am happy for you that it was not at any speeds that could of hurt more. You will grow and be a better experienced rider after this.

I dropped the 01. I am in Texas at a training class; i only have my 01 with me. I would probably be still crying if I dropped my 84.

Hey Coff, GLAD IT WAS NO WORSE THAN IT WAS CHAMP!!! :thumbsup:

By the way, stickers and tie wraps make glass repair a cinch! :big-grin-emoticon: (like you didnt know that already:thumbsup:)

Oh, yea,, you forgot the :photographing:'s!! :missingtooth:

Sorry Puc, no pics. I had to pick it up right away and get it in a parking spot. Plus i found out the hard way that riding a motorcycle through torrential down pour with a phone in your back pocket is not wise. Phone works for the most part, but the camera is dead. I get a new phone in 9 days. Then I can take pictures of my return trip to Las Vegas.

Sorry Puc, no pics. I had to pick it up right away and get it in a parking spot. Plus i found out the hard way that riding a motorcycle through torrential down pour with a phone in your back pocket is not wise. Phone works for the most part, but the camera is dead. I get a new phone in 9 days. Then I can take pictures of my return trip to Las Vegas.

That's why I popped the money for a lifeproof case.

I learned that lesson recovering a body from the Atlantic. Hauling it up on the beach and the Atlantic decided it wanted it wasn't quite ready t give it up, grabbed it with a big wave and dragged us both into the rocks. My iphone 4 was in my leg pocket and hit the salt water.

Walking back to the aircraft, I couldn't figure out why my leg was getting hotter and hotter.....:shock3:

Since I started using lifeproof cases, haven't lost a single phone. I've even called while bobbing around in the water.

Well worth the 100 bucks!

:)

Edited by Great White

I have a lunatic case which is great when you first buy them, but they need to be replaced from time to time to keep them waterproof. The rubber around the headphone jack is loose and it let water in. My next phone is going to be the Samsung S5. it is waterproof, but I will put it in a water proof lunatic case anyway. I will replace the case every 6 months. I like the heavy metal casing on it.