IGNORED

Marks Collector for first gen mk2

VentureYZ

I don't have one but, I have a question. I understand there's no room for the plumbing so "It is what it is." I also understand the exhaust is linked diagonally for tuning. (sort of) What I don't understand is how the back cylinders can do a 180° turn & enter the exit flow in the wrong direction. Am I missing something? Aside from the fact that I'm probably thing backwards & everything is headed to the rear.

Edited by Venture n Dixie
Engaged mouth before starting brain.

It's likely in an attempt to have equal length headers. Head pipe length is very important in engine performance characteristics. Also, the routing in the pic posted does indeed join the rear cylinders in the direction of exhaust flow. I think maybe you're just not seeing it right.

Full header on my V4 Honda Interceptor are the same way....

Edited by Great White

• 2 years later...

My collector is starting to rust out on my 1988 VR 1300 Is this Mark collector a replacement for the stock collector. I ask because it doesn't look similiar and seems to lack any baffles. Also I wonder about the cost and how I can get one here in Vancouver, Canada?

Its my understanding about the Marks Collector is that it is a replacement for the baffled system that comes stock on the first gens. But as was said by Condor they are like chicken lips to find. Performance would increase with the free'er flow that it produces but engine exhaust sound should increase also. I've heard they sold for a good buck. :2cents:

Yep.. Chicken Lips and BIG buck$.. I'd suggest finding a used OEM collector on eBay. Haven't been looking for that kind of stuff lately, but there's enough salvers out there, and the bike it old enough, that there's got to be a couple collectors laying around out there somewhere?? MOF I bet @cowpuc might have an extra??

Thanks for the helpful input. Turns out when I had a good look, the rust holes were in spots that I could wrap exhaust repair tape and a couple of pipe clamps around to do a temporary fix to see me a few more miles. I know this will only last so long, so I have all winter to look around for a replacement off a salvage hopefully. If anyone hears of something I am definitely interested.

My collector is starting to rust out on my 1988 VR 1300.
Perhaps it can be repaired, depending on where it is rusting. One of the forward collector tubes on my 90 VR rusted off and the other one was close. I had a muffler shop replace them for about $45. Seemed expensive to me but still a lot cheaper than buying a 2nd hand one that may not be in the best of shape anyway.

Yep.. Chicken Lips and BIG buck$.. I'd suggest finding a used OEM collector on eBay. Haven't been looking for that kind of stuff lately, but there's enough salvers out there, and the bike it old enough, that there's got to be a couple collectors laying around out there somewhere?? MOF I bet cowpuc might have an extra??

Tweeksis has a Marks Collector under her.. I like it cause it seems a LOT tougher then OEM... Tweeks OEM collector is more braze from repair than actual metal - using it for a skid plate has its disadvantages so no usable collector there unless ya want me to it off at the headers and a person could braze it the whole exhaust system in.. I do have two other 83's that we CTFW's off of and are now parts bikes out back but I am sure their undersides aint much better than Tweeks (probably be scary just to look under em),, those bikes even had a rougher life cause I was younger back then and more apt to CTFW in obscure off road places = I have matured... All said = nothing extra layin around this joint for spares at this time...

:lightbulb:Hunk of brazing rod and a 1/2 hour with a torch gets my vote = folks may be surprised how many miles per brazing rod one of these old scoots can get!!:thumbsup::7_2_104[1]:

What Puc said!!! If you can Braze of have a friend that can if yours is still solid enough to work with that's the way to go. Or a Son in Law as good as mine with a Mig. I do have a Great OEM one but ain't parting with it. I have a spot for it just as soon as I find that fountain!!! I know I'm gonna have to start turning loose of some things but NOT YET!!!