IGNORED

Let the discussion begin.

I have to be honest, 1700cc just seems way over the top to me for a solo bike. I've been waiting since forever to get my old first gen and sidecar back on the road and doing holiday mileage again. One thing I think that we're all saying is these are not the occasional Saturday night, run down the local pub/club bikes that never go further than a few miles. These are bikes that will be used for long distance touring and to do trips that others would think are long distance in a car. My DL650 can do high fifties to the gallon and has just over a 4 gallon tank (speaking imperial here) and so has a range of about 250 miles. Our old saab diesel can do up to 550-600 miles on a tank. Somewhere between those figures would be goods, so with fuel injection, engine management and cruise control I'd like to be able to see over 50mpg reliably and maybe a six gallon tank for a range of over 300 miles and there's no point unless the seat is comfortable for that and further. In fact the seat has been the biggest issue with my last few bikes, affecting long distance travelling more than anything else. The same applies to the pillion seat.

With a good engine management system I'd hope that the above would be possible, but there's no need for the same configuration to be used when playing manually as when the computer is in charge on cruise.

ABS okay, but no linked brakes.

I'd go with first gen type styling rather than 'custom cruiser' as I want the fairing to work and not be a bolt on. I wonder if Yamaha could make it work in two sizes (as Suzuki did with 650/1000 V-strom or Honda did with the earlier Gold and Silver Wings [CX500 and 650 based variant] - or even Yamaha did with a range of XVs and Viragos). A 170bhp 1700cc monster would be fun, but the original power with a bit less weight - 100bhp from 900-1000cc, or 80bhp from a 750cc could be a lovely peach of a European tourer. Unless there's a real upturn in the economy I wouldn't have the cash to get one new, but I could be part of the cult following keeping resale figures up, in the same way as I got my V-Strom a few years further down the road. What Yamaha would need to do is make a real tourer in this size that can eat miles without spending too much on R&D. Surely engine tuning, sound systems and saddles should all be manageable by now though.

Oh - it would be nice if it would go round corners too, but I was taking that for granted.

And also a plug lead to connect readily available computer diagnostics which don't have any limitations. I'd quite like that to be configurable to output to custom displays so I can see which cylinders are playing up when I have to diagnose problems in 20 years' time once they change the recipe for petrol etc. That should be no extra cost as all cars have these systems and so getting chips without is probably more expensive - it's really part of getting away from the 'anti-tamper' mentality. That would be better for them in Europe because EU regulations force suppliers to 'open source' their diagnostics so alternative suppliers can provide other sources of parts.

Edited by greg_in_london

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are all what I would have said if i was going to write it in here.Nothing more to add about what I would like to see in a venture.I do have some input.For years I was on the kz forum and the gs forum.They all said why doesnt honda/kawasaki make a retro bike like our old bikes.Honda did, the cb 1100.3 people bought one.The venture never sold well.Other than lacking a reverse it is as good as any goldwing I ever rode, and I have owned 3 goldwings. could care less about reverse.I always loved the venture for not being wrapped in tupperware.The victory crosscountry tour and the indian chief are what i think a touring bike should look like, and our ventures do look like that.Only ours has a nonvibrating supersmooth v 4.Much better in my opinion.perhaps if the venture carried the badge "limited edition" and only made a few each year it would get them off the showroom floor.I bet a person could find a 2011 somewhere still sittin on a dealer floor.

Yamaha,

If you are listening, I am 31 and own a 1984 Venture, and a 2001 RSV. I am very brand loyal, I have had a V-star 650, and 2 R-6s. Being only 31, I have a lot of years of riding left in me. I want to add an MKII and a third gen venture to my stable. there are some things that I want on my 3rd gen.

-EFI

-Better sound system (Harley sound systems are amazing)

-V4 power plant. new vMax motor would be awesome

-Removable trunk (would prefer removable bags to like my 84, but the trunk is a must)

-intercom hook ups that work with off the shelf products

-stop with all the chrome. it takes away from riding time.

-shaft driven

-transmission that does not whine

-Clutch that does not slip when towing a trailer

-LED lighting

Truth be told, if you could update my 84 with a bigger motor and better sound, I would buy that in a heart beat. Gen 1 was the best.

• 1 month later...

I have posted this before in similar threads and I will post it again here. Probably more important than what people want in new touring bike is what are people willing to pay for it if they build it? This will determine how profitable the bike will be and consequently how viable it will be for Yamaha to build them. When everyone saw the GTS1000 prototype, the magazine's (pre-internet) were flooded with letters from readers if Yamaha builds that, I will buy one. Well as history tells us, despite being quite a nice motorcycle with advanced features and ahead of its time, no one was actually willing to buy one for the MSRP it arrived on US shores at. The one at the dealership I worked at was sold at a loss after two anniversaries on the show room floor . Hence we got the preorder program when the FJR was first released. This may be a good idea for Yamaha to take this same approach with the new touring bike if there is one. Here it is , here are the features, here is it what it will cost, we will build as many as people are willing to pre-order through their dealer. Limits the risk significantly. (I suggested to Mazda North America that they use this approach to sell the new Mazda 6 Wagon in the US, currently available in Europe but not here)

With regard to using the 1700 Vmax engine in the new Yamaha touring motorcycle, while it probably makes sense to recoup R&D costs, has anyone ridden the new Vmax (I personally have not), How smooth is it? If I am not mistaken it still shares some internal components with the original V4? Does the new Vmax engine still have potential for Clutch whine issues? The site is filled with posts of people selling their bikes for this one issue.

Having owned and ridden an RSTD, its a fine motorcycle, but even in its finest state of tune with a fresh carb sync, its not as smooth or flat torque curve as the ST1100 carbureted V4 I owned or the carbureted 1500 Goldwing motors. Even if you have a V4 with no clutch whine,its still generally a noisy engine. If the Vmax 1700 still indeed shares internals with its ancestor, it will need significant improvements in the manufacturing tolerance and balance of rotating internal parts to achieve Honda smoothness and quietness if the Goldwing is Yamaha's target competitor for a touring motorcycle. If Harley, Polaris and Victory are the target, marketing tells us engine noise (and/or heat) are part of the character and experience of real motorcycling and Yamaha won't have to pay that much attention (Lets not forget that someone at Yamaha thought it was good idea to remove the balance shafts to induce vibration on purpose and detune the V4 to 60 HP on the original Royal Stars.......)

If Yamaha builds a new dedicated touring bike it will need to have appeal across several markets. There are alot of brand dedicated riders in the touring segment.What do you build to get Goldwing and Ultra Classic customers and to a lesser extent Polaris/Indian to trade-in and switch saddles? Its a tougher proposition than one may think.

many great comments.I have one question, one for yamaha and i hope they are listening.Why does it become necessary to redesign a bike? look up electraglides.From about 1970 to 2015 they look a lot alike.They improved them over the years.But people were pleased with the looks so they didnt change that much.The goldwing has looked much the same since 1988, and for 20 years before that those models looked alike.The main complaints I have seen are the bike is too topheavy,the sound system might as well not be on the bike because it sucks,and why cant they put the vmax motor in it? I imagine keeping the 2013 fairing and lights could be retained, the dashboard would have to be totally redesigned for a sound system.Putting a vmax motor is not a simple boltin procedure.Perhaps copying the indian roadmaster method of frame materials and geometry could make the bike seem lighter.I sat on a roadmaster, swore it must have been 200 pounds lighter than a venture, but in reality it is just as heavy.You cant put a fairing,sound system,trunk,saddlebags,large displacement engine,crashbars and all the touring amenities without the bike being heavy.But an 1800 goldwing,a roadmaster,both feel ighter even though they arent.I sat on a victory crosstour.It feels heavy to me.I hope the venture comes back out, if yamaha feels they can only do it in v twin form, I can live with that.But keep all the plastic the same, so no model year would look outdated.

I have read alot about the HD sound system. Now are you all talking about it thru speakers on the bike? If so how is the comms??? I think any new bike is going to have to have Bluetooth connectivity. Just makes sense in today's market. As far as speakers on the bike, not a plus in my book, around town they are fine but on a cross country trip I use either ear buds or speakers in my helmet. Even now I am considering going SMH10 route to get rid of wires and connect bluetooth.

I agree completely that any new bike should include bluetooth. More important to me than communication is bluetooth connectivity between my phone or MP3 player and the stereo as we like using Pandora and etc. As for communications, I know that it's what everybody seems to want right now and I agree that it should have it but I personally prefer to stay with my corded system. The main reason being that I don't need something else to worry about keeping charged. On day long rides, I know that some of the bluetooth systems will last several hours but still something else that I have to worry about running out of power and something that I have to charge every night when I'm on the road. Just doesn't appeal to me.

On day long rides, I know that some of the bluetooth systems will last several hours but still something else that I have to worry about running out of power and something that I have to charge every night when I'm on the road. Just doesn't appeal to me.

My Uclear and my old Chatterbox lasted all day using Pandora and GPS through my phone and the occasional intercom. We just have the habit of bringing our helmets to the hotel room and plugging them in. We elected this after having corded comms and forgetting on occasion to unplug, especially after a long ride. Not disaggreeing, Don, just sharing what works best for us.

So if you want to get a heads up on if Mother Yamaha is bringing out a new model, Venture or otherwise, click on this link and go to the bottom of the list.

This is the official list of bikes that have been checked by the state of California for emmissions, this is likely to be the first place any hint of a new model will show up.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2016/2016.php 10 models so far on the list, all existing models best I can tell.

I will patiently wait to see what they come out with, but you can go to the bank that I am not going to rush out and buying a new bike just because Yamaha finally got rid of the cassette player.

I love my wing and it serves me fine for all my needs. I waited for Yamaha and if they do have electron ignition, 1700cc or better, and water cooled, I would wait to see what the pros & cons are about them first before pulling the trigger on one.

I will patiently wait to see what they come out with, but you can go to the bank that I am not going to rush out and buying a new bike just because Yamaha finally got rid of the cassette player.

I love my wing and it serves me fine for all my needs. I waited for Yamaha and if they do have electron ignition, 1700cc or better, and water cooled, I would wait to see what the pros & cons are about them first before pulling the trigger on one.

I owned 3 goldwing 1500's.I would like to own another goldwing, but the cylinder head keeps me from being able to stretch out my right leg, a no go for me.I wrecked my right knee in 2000 when I totaled a bike.The forward controls make it possible for me to ride.Although probably the goldwing is the best bike ever invented.And they got their idea from bmw.

if it is right, i heard the 1100 was coming back out, but efi.I have decided if I downsize sometime i would buy a used 1100 classic or custom.If you have never seen what pacific cost star does to a 1100 it would be worth you looking.The original 1100 having to take off an exhaust to change oil was really a bad design.surely they will fix that.

Everyone has ideas that are fantastic. Some people have so many wants, it would be a totally new bike, not even called a venture.( like Honda with the "new" Valkyrie). I enjoyed my brief time with the RSV. It's unique, that is for sure. But for all the upgrades and changes being made, how many would really pull the trigger on a 24-26000$ bike? I for one couldn't afford that. I do miss the looks and heads turning on the venture as people really couldn't figure it out what this cool machine was. I like my goldwing, a lot. No bike is perfect. I wish the wing had more metal. But overall, the wing gets a bad rap at times for being plastic, an old mans bike etc. if you just do basic maintainence, and change the oil etc, it'll last as long or longer. And it's low center of gravity really makes me more confident, in handling. For me, the new venture should be modern with some basic stuff that makes it a venture: v4, long lasting motor, unique body parts. But no matter what you ride, you'll always be special if you're a VR member...

• 1 month later...

I have enjoyed reading this thread more than anything I have read in years. As the only owner/driver of an 84 1st Gen, I am about ready to move into the 21st Century with a new Yamaha.

I have to put in a word for my dealer, Oldest Yamaha dealer in Anywhere... K&N Yamaha, Tulsa Oklahoma. Norm and Lucy are the best, and their kids are there to carry on.

Now my wishes for a 3rd Gen Venture....

Power Plant, V4 1700, or V6 with tuneable EFI.

ABS braking

Ride modes, wet, dry and other choices, adjustable from the cockpit while moving.

Radio, AM/FM and communication, FRS, or CB, or something that could be added or removed like a module by the user. Intercom a must, and blue tooth capability.

USB charging ports in the trunk and front fairing locations as well as lights in the storage areas.

Fixed Fairing like the 1st Gen, none of that 'crappy cruiser' style.

Adjustable air vents for heating and cooling of rider and passenger, radiator in the rear to keep most of the heat away from both.

Enough storage to hold enough gear for two with the ability to add a trailer hitch.

LED lighting, with fog lamps and driving lights as standard or optional.

GPS as an option

All wiring harnesses the same, so no matter which model you purchase, you have the wiring for any accessory, like BMW.

Crash bars front and rear, like the 1st Gen.

Adjustable Handlebars like the 1st Gen.

Electrically adjustable windscreen, up and down, as well as ability to make it wider or narrower, with vents.

Mirrors above the hands, none of the below like the Honda ST.

Lightweight frame, keep the weight down under 700 pounds.

Drive-shaft a must as well as a 6 or 7 speed tranny with top gear an overdrive, and keep the digital readout on the dash with gear indicator.

Options could include heated seats, grips and mirrors as well as outlets for heated clothing, with generating power to cover such items, as well as arm rests for the passenger.

Of course, we cannot forget rider comfort and make the seating as comfortable as the 1st Gen seats, with floorboards for all and forget the heal to shifters, they are worthless.

Make optional remote shift and braking available for highway pegs.

Air cleaner must be easy to change, not an 'all day affair'.

Spin on Oil Filter with ability to use synthetic oil.

Center stand is not necessary but mounts available to use a jack to raise bike from central point.

I could likely go on and on with other electronic add-ons, but will leave it like that. If I can get even a little of the things I want, I will be happy.

Great post. I agree with MOST everything you said. I'm not as negative about the handlebar mounted fairing as you are. I've had both and am fine with either. Never been to K&N Yamaha but I know that they are a well respected dealership. Would love to stop by there sometime.

Like Mike, I have reached a point where I am ready for a new bike. My trusty RSV is 13 years old with 120k miles. I am hoping for another 10-15 years of two wheel riding, so I think my next bike could be my last. I'm not in need of a new bike, but my current bike is unlikely to last another 10 years, so anytime now would be a good time.

I came very close to signing paper on a 40th anniversary ABS Goldwing. One thing kept me from doing it now. That is the unknown on a third generation Venture. I am hoping they build a new touring bike built around the new VMax engine. I would be pissed if I settled for a wing and we did get a new liquid cooled venture.

But... some spy pictures speculate that maybe the new Venture could be a Vtwin based on the Stratoliner.

I will not buy a touring bike that is not liquid cooled and does not have ABS. Period. So Yamaha... if you are listening. I want to remain on a Venture... but if you release an air cooled touring bike.. I will be a Goldwing owner shortly thereafter.

btw, one doesn't "settle" for a Goldwing. Riding one is anything but....