IGNORED

Let the discussion begin.

Nahhh,,, we already know (C vids),, :big-grin-emoticon:

keeping in mind that this is comparing the little 74 inch vs 113 inch big twin so its really not apples to apples,,,,, what would really be interesting is to see how that other Yamaha scoot with the 1700cc V-4 would compare to the closer in size 1800cc/113inch if loaded down with all the xtra weight on it like Tip, Tweeks and I (or other normal touring riders) typically travel.. That would be interesting..

big one

little one

Puc, you keep showing that video for an acceleration demo and I keep reminding you of TWO facts.

ONE: You were in Touring NOT Sport Mode.

TWO: You were shifting WAY too late which is way outta the power band.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puc, you keep showing that video for an acceleration demo and I keep reminding you of TWO facts.

ONE: You were in Touring NOT Sport Mode.

TWO: You were shifting WAY too late which is way outta the power band.

I hear ya Chief but its the only video I got for comparing the two and I got no SVTC to redo it.. GOT AN IDEA!! Tell ya what,, since you are the one who keeps reminding me of this and you do have an SVTC to work with,, why not go ahead and hook up a camera aimed at your speedo on your scoot, stick er in Sport Mode and run her thru the gears shifting at the proper points to prove what your saying.. I will do the same with my 83 and then we can post em up and compare them - this would actually be fairly accurate because we would not only have the speedo's showing MPH but we would also be timed... I am sure you are 100% right about what you are saying because the SVTC is 1900cc and the little V-4 is only 1200cc but it would still be interesting to see/know for a fact/scientifically what would have happened if I had of had the SVTC in Sport Mode :thumbsup:

I hear ya Chief but its the only video I got for comparing the two and I got no SVTC to redo it.. GOT AN IDEA!! Tell ya what,, since you are the one who keeps reminding me of this and you do have an SVTC to work with,, why not go ahead and hook up a camera aimed at your speedo on your scoot, stick er in Sport Mode and run her thru the gears shifting at the proper points to prove what your saying.. I will do the same with my 83 and then we can post em up and compare them - this would actually be fairly accurate because we would not only have the speedo's showing MPH but we would also be timed... I am sure you are 100% right about what you are saying because the SVTC is 1900cc and the little V-4 is only 1200cc but it would still be interesting to see/know for a fact/scientifically what would have happened if I had of had the SVTC in Sport Mode :thumbsup:

I’d love to Puc. Good idea, but I don’t have a go pro or some way to mount my phone in such a position to do that.

I eventually want to get a go pro helmet set up so I can video some of my rides. They’re not cheap and the “boss” says “not now”! Funny how that works eh? I make all the $$ but SHE says how and when I get to spend it. Such is marriage but after 32yrs I’m used to it.

You went a tad over the redline there in your video on the 83 Venture, does it have a RPM limiter like the 2018 Venture has?

I agree with ChiefGunner that you were above the power band on the 2018 Venture as in your video you kept the RPM's over 3,000 RPM's in your acceleration run.

I don't have a camera to make recording with and I am not about to try using my Canon DSLR as it is just to big and awkward to attempt such a feat. My iPhone 8plus is also far to easy to drop.

These two bikes take two different technics to ring the best performance out of them, your 1983 Venture is an overhead cam high RPM designed engine while the 2018 Venture is a push rod overhead valve low rpm design engine.

You are just used to your 1983 Venture's power band being in the upper RPM ranges as it redlines at 7500 RPM, the 2018 Venture's power band maxes out torque wise at 2500 RPM to 2700 RPM depending on which dyno sheet you look at from different reviews and remember no two dyno's will produce the same numbers for the same bike. I have seen test review dyno sheets that go from 105 lbs feet of torque at the rear wheel to 109, 110 and one dyno run showed 112 lbs feet of torque at the rear wheel. The 113 puts out 126 lbs feet of torque at the crankshaft at 2500 RPM.

The 105 lbs feet of torque dyno run was with an Eluder so maybe due to the trunk being gone it experienced some rear tire slippage on the dyno roller. A dyno run is not 100% accurate it is only a representation of the rear wheel power being put down on that dyno roller, if you are getting better traction on the road surface and no tire slippage vs being on the dyno roller with some tire slippage off the dyno rear wheel power would be higher than that dyno run showed.

A dyno is just a tool. An engine dyno on the other hand does not have any traction issues to deal with so it is a true representation of the power of the engine at the crankshaft.

You went a tad over the redline there in your video on the 83 Venture, does it have a RPM limiter like the 2018 Venture has?

I agree with ChiefGunner that you were above the power band on the 2018 Venture as in your video you kept the RPM's over 3,000 RPM's in your acceleration run.

I don't have a camera to make recording with and I am not about to try using my Canon DSLR as it is just to big and awkward to attempt such a feat. My iPhone 8plus is also far to easy to drop.

These two bikes take two different technics to ring the best performance out of them, your 1983 Venture is an overhead cam high RPM designed engine while the 2018 Venture is a push rod overhead valve low rpm design engine.

You are just used to your 1983 Venture's power band being in the upper RPM ranges as it redlines at 7500 RPM, the 2018 Venture's power band maxes out torque wise at 2500 RPM to 2700 RPM depending on which dyno sheet you look at from different reviews and remember no two dyno's will produce the same numbers for the same bike. I have seen test review dyno sheets that go from 105 lbs feet of torque at the rear wheel to 109, 110 and one dyno run showed 112 lbs feet of torque at the rear wheel. The 113 puts out 126 lbs feet of torque at the crankshaft at 2500 RPM.

The 105 lbs feet of torque dyno run was with an Eluder so maybe due to the trunk being gone it experienced some rear tire slippage on the dyno roller. A dyno run is not 100% accurate it is only a representation of the rear wheel power being put down on that dyno roller, if you are getting better traction on the road surface and no tire slippage vs being on the dyno roller with some tire slippage off the dyno rear wheel power would be higher than that dyno run showed.

A dyno is just a tool. An engine dyno on the other hand does not have any traction issues to deal with so it is a true representation of the power of the engine at the crankshaft.

The 1st Gens did not have any Rev Limiter. I also think your SPOT ON as to WHY he was not getting the performance he was expecting. These are two different animals completely and need to be driven differently to wring everything out of them.

Speedo isn't a good comparison. 2nd (and 1st?) Gen speedo's are off by 8%. 60mph isn't a tru 60mph on a 2nd Gen. Speed on a GPS would be more accurate.[/QUOT

That is very true,, my R1's speedo shows 172 mph tached out in 5th gear (still havent had a chance to see if it will bounce the rev limiter in 6th) and its true speed there on GPS is 176.. I still think a videoed comparison would give us all a more scientific basis for debate than I say/you say does though.. I could probably lend one of you guys (Chief,,, or American,,, you both sound like your REALLY good riders and being owers of the scoots,, should give us reliable results) my little go-pro camera to do the comparison but fact is,, those little camera's are fairly inexpensive now.. Personally,, other than on my R1 (its only a tiny little 1000cc but it really is a little harder to hang onto when ya wick it up - at least for someone of my inexperience), I just use my little $30 digital camera but if you drop those like I have a couple times,, even they can get pricey..

Thinking about this,,, maybe what we should do is all meet in Ohio at Don's for MD and do the comparions in real life!!!! Now THAT would be fun and I KNOW many many folks would LOVE to see your new scoots and meet you guys = myself included!!!!!:thumbsup:

Speedo isn't a good comparison. 2nd (and 1st?) Gen speedo's are off by 8%. 60mph isn't a tru 60mph on a 2nd Gen. Speed on a GPS would be more accurate.[/QUOT

That is very true,, my R1's speedo shows 172 mph tached out in 5th gear (still havent had a chance to see if it will bounce the rev limiter in 6th) and its true speed there on GPS is 176.. I still think a videoed comparison would give us all a more scientific basis for debate than I say/you say does though.. I could probably lend one of you guys (Chief,,, or American,,, you both sound like your REALLY good riders and being owers of the scoots,, should give us reliable results) my little go-pro camera to do the comparison but fact is,, those little camera's are fairly inexpensive now.. Personally,, other than on my R1 (its only a tiny little 1000cc but it really is a little harder to hang onto when ya wick it up - at least for someone of my inexperience), I just use my little $30 digital camera but if you drop those like I have a couple times,, even they can get pricey..

Thinking about this,,, maybe what we should do is all meet in Ohio at Don's for MD and do the comparions in real life!!!! Now THAT would be fun and I KNOW many many folks would LOVE to see your new scoots and meet you guys = myself included!!!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the invite. I’d love to but I’m still not retired and trying to grow a business. I just took 5 days off 2 weeks ago for a trip to Pennsylvania and we’re trying to prepare for a 10 day trip through motorcycle roads in North Carolina, Tennessee & Kentucky in July. Yes, we are doing Skyway, Blue Ridge, Cherohola Hwy & Dragons Tail.

I will ad today in stop and go traffic I was sweating like a pig on a hot July day and mind you I was on a WATER COOLED V-4 1200CC... It was 81°F and sunny.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

I will ad today in stop and go traffic I was sweating like a pig on a hot July day and mind you I was on a WATER COOLED V-4 1200CC... It was 81°F and sunny.

eeeeeeeuuuuueeeeeepeeeeeeuuuueeeeeee,, even your word picture here has a strange odor to it Snype!!!! I was just texting with Vaz who is on his way out from Zona and is in Misery (Missouri) in the humidy... Said he needed to grab a shower.. Told em I would let em in on a little trade secret = skip the showers, let the bug spray cake up on you and BINGO - not only will the bugs leave you completely alone but so will the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dancefool::dancefool::nanner::Laugh:

One more thing today no wind blowing and I felt the heat of the motor on both legs... I love our V-4s I also love the rumble of a Vtwin... I get ppl are taken back because the engine we know and love is not on the new bike. So what, they both have power we know and love just at different rpms is all. After spending a lot of time on different bikes and on pj your going to have engine heat your gonna experience different things! Do we need the same ol same ol. People get bored with same thing after awhile. Yamaha seen where the market was. People wanted a new touring bike with a twist from a VTWIN only time will tell how long the Twin will hold up but have heard between 100,000 to just over 200,000 it really depends who is behind the controls, and how well its taken care of. Just my opinion I still want to ride one but can careless about heat and rpms! I want to crack the throttle and feel the power. It may not pop a wheelie if I wanted that I go play on a smaller bike!

eeeeeeeuuuuueeeeeepeeeeeeuuuueeeeeee,, even your word picture here has a strange odor to it Snype!!!! I was just texting with Vaz who is on his way out from Zona and is in Misery (Missouri) in the humidy... Said he needed to grab a shower.. Told em I would let em in on a little trade secret = skip the showers, let the bug spray cake up on you and BINGO - not only will the bugs leave you completely alone but so will the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dancefool::dancefool::nanner:[emoji23]
Yeah well I took shower this morning my 72 hrs was up and boy was I glad.

We are getting a ton of rain but this morning it was not raining so the wife and I went for a ride, it was 84 degrees humid but not hot and engine heat was not a problem, do you feel some heat? Sure, you have 113 CI sitting right in front of you between your legs but it was not enough to make you want to get off the bike.

We are getting a ton of rain but this morning it was not raining so the wife and I went for a ride, it was 84 degrees humid but not hot and engine heat was not a problem, do you feel some heat? Sure, you have 113 CI sitting right in front of you between your legs but it was not enough to make you want to get off the bike.

My bike is the 83 Venture I am just saying your gonna have heat on anything and our V-4s are no exception to this rule.. I believe its a 74CI, Engine heat isn't a problem but to add to hot pavement and the engine heat rising...

My bike is the 83 Venture I am just saying your gonna have heat on anything and our V-4s are no exception to this rule.. I believe its a 74CI, Engine heat isn't a problem but to add to hot pavement and the engine heat rising...

One of the nice things that I always appreciated about my 1st Gens was the option of running full covers including the little plastic side covers like the one down by the oil fill - all of those covers are doubly effective, IMHO, if your touring 2 up and you get into cross winds or traffic jams.. I used to hang a hunk of leather I cut from some welding sleeves across the front of the seat on my shovel to keep from cooking my thigh when desert touring and know there are now people manufacturing such things (I think "Captain Itch"? is a common one these days) for exactly that purpose but you simply cannot shroud up an air cooled completely as they really have to breath for cooling purpose.. Snype,,, are you running side covers on your scoot?

One of the nice things that I always appreciated about my 1st Gens was the option of running full covers including the little plastic side covers like the one down by the oil fill - all of those covers are doubly effective, IMHO, if your touring 2 up and you get into cross winds or traffic jams.. I used to hang a hunk of leather I cut from some welding sleeves across the front of the seat on my shovel to keep from cooking my thigh when desert touring and know there are now people manufacturing such things (I think "Captain Itch"? is a common one these days) for exactly that purpose but you simply cannot shroud up an air cooled completely as they really have to breath for cooling purpose.. Snype,,, are you running side covers on your scoot?
Yeah I do but fan blowing heat back at ya too. I am not saying unbearable heat but its noticeable. All my point is if your strattling an engine there is gonna be heat. d9089b7aebc99e554e65105f0cd1526d.jpg

Yeah I do but fan blowing heat back at ya too. I am not saying unbearable heat but its noticeable. All my point is if your strattling an engine there is gonna be heat. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180525/d9089b7aebc99e554e65105f0cd1526d.jpg

You talking about these little things @cowpuc ?5eb71450ba550b81b554c6b09003818e.jpg

Yep...

Humm dont see how these would help any but like I said its no big deal, I have noticed the guy who was out in Oklahoma who brought his bike down he had like covers in the triangles and have even found some on ebay with chrome in the side covers..

Humm dont see how these would help any but like I said its no big deal, I have noticed the guy who was out in Oklahoma who brought his bike down he had like covers in the triangles and have even found some on ebay with chrome in the side covers..

Tip and I were out in Needles California,, temps pushin 110ish.. I had just swapped in some new oil and left that little plastic cover that goes over the oil fill sitting on the curb.. We went about 50 miles and catching some pretty good desert winds blowing that hot oven like air across the scoot when Tip says "my right foot is getting cooked!!".. Looked down and sure enough,,, guard is gone... Went back and got it,,, definitely that important IMHO..

Dont know about you but I also run with the ports on my side covers sealedhttp://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112704

I did not get those when I bought my bike, Until I went thru this forumn I did not know there could be covers in the side covers.

My first SVTC sighting besides mine... At dealer in Fredericksburg VA including mine there are 3 of us in for scheduled service. All of us have the faster grey version.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

My first SVTC sighting besides mine... At dealer in Fredericksburg VA including mine there are 3 of us in for scheduled service. All of us have the faster grey version.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Lol!! The “faster grey” version eh Daniel?? Thought you’d “slide” that one by un-noticed? Nope! You’re BUSTED dude!

Good one though. Lol!