IGNORED

Bike Dead Need Help fast!

Went out to my bike after work to head home. Put key in ignition, turned it on and stated the bike. The bike turned over 3 or 4 times and then just stopped. Indications are NO POWER ANYWHERE. No speedo, no lights, no aux, no radio, no nothing. Turned key off and on, removed key and reinserted and still nothing. I checked the fuses in the left side panel and the ones up under the right side lower faring all were good. Batt voltage is 12.75vdc. I am 50 miles away from home so any ideas as to where to look would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Update: Took the gas tank off and checked continuity of the starter switch. I had continuity between the brown/blue wire and the red and between the blue/yellow and the blue/black with the switch on. So by the book the switch is good. Here is the kicker I have 12.77vdc on the red wire to ground, so power is getting to and through the switch.

Throwing my hands in the air now. Is there a computer or something on these things? I can't remember there being one.

Salty if you can't start her I know Beer has a trailer. At least you could get her home to work on. Jeff is already back at the RV if you want to call him. Hope it starts.

Margaret

Thanks Mini I just got off the phone with Beer30 he is meeting me at the front gate.

Update again. When I turn the ignition switch on the battery goes from 12.77VDC to 0Vdc.

Thank you all for your replies.

As Mini said Muffinman called me as we were strapping down the bike on Beer30's trailer. He said right off that he thought it was a shorted battery and to jump it when I got home to see what happened. Well Jeff, you were right it's the battery. Thanks for the call, the guidance, and the offer to help. Hooked the jumper cables up to the bike and the car didn't even act like it had a load on it until I turned the key on and you could hear the car pick up the load, the lights on the bike came on and she started right up. Disconnected the jumper cables, shut the bike down had 12.77Vdc on the bat until the key was turned on then it went down to .2Vdc instantly, no lights, no nothing.

Any suggestions on a battery? I'm not going with WallyWorld again that's for sure. This one is less than a year old.

A big Thank You to Beer30 for coming to get me and Sasha with his Beer Hauler. Thanks Gene you saved my bacon.

This club is more than that, it's a family ready willing and able to help at the drop of the hat. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this site last year.

As a side note: I checked the ignition switch out for opens and shorts and it checked out fine. That was my initial thought, but wanted to check the easy stuff first. While checking out the switch is when I found the bat going to 0Vdc with the key on. At first I thought the switch was shorted out, but that was not the case.

Thanks again to everyone.

Seems to me like Beer30 needs one of these awards I see attached to some people's name. Way to go Beer!

Sure glad it wasn't something more serious.

Dennis

Yep I second Beers award motion, seems like he is always there to help.

Just made it home myself . Glad to see that it was only the battery rather than something else . I'm also glad that I installed a winch on the trailer that I use to load the BEERCART up onto it's upper cradle , as it was now tested to pull the scoots up onto the trailer with little effort . Them bikes are heavy enough alone pushing on flat ground , let alone pulling up an incline to load .

It was no problem helping out .Heck I got a hug from Brandi ! :bighug: You need to break down more often there Salty , them hugs are rewards themselves !!!!:rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

BEER30

Just remembered this morning that I mis-spoke. I actually don't know how old the battery is in my bike. The one I bought from WallyWorld recently was for my wifes first bike, I replaced it just before she sold it. I have owned this bike since Dec 06, and I have no idea when if ever the battery was replaced.