IGNORED

Another Dumb Question

Chaharly

Lenny,

Short answer: The separate antennas are because each antenna is optimize for the particular frequencies they are meant to use. AM/FM radio freq's are way different than CB frequencies. The Venture Royale gets away with one antenna by using a match box that matches the different frequency signals to their respective transmiters/receivers and combines them to one antenna. It's a compromise that works fairly well if the antenna, wire and coil is in good shape.

I don't have a Venture, just an RSTD, so I don't understand what difference it makes which side they're on. Someone end my suspense and tell me why.

Thanks,

BL

CB antennas need to be about 18 feet long. Since this is not really possible on a motorcycle, a coil of wire is wound up in the CB antenna to make up the difference in length. So the antenna with the coil in the middle of it is the CB antenna. The antenna mount on the left side of the bike is wired to the CB radio so that is where the CB antenna goes. The antenna mount on the right aide of the bike is wired to the AM-FM radio.

Mike

The CB uses the motorcycle as a ground plane. The ideal place would be directly in the center of the bike but that is unrealistic. If in the center of the bike the area of transmission would be an oval reaching furthest out the front and rear of the bike. If the antenna is placed on the right rear, the transmission area is eggish in shape with the furthest out the front and left of the bike. On the left rear, it is egg shaped out the front and right of bike.

For the limited area we usually need to communicate with bikes in a group, either will work about the same.

Radio antennas are to receive only (thus the length isn't as critical) and will work equally as well on either side.

You folks are all complicating this way too much. The reason is very simple. Yamaha ships these bikes to the dealer in crates. They CB is pre-installed by Yamaha under the trunk. The antenna mounts are also mounted at the factory. All the dealer has to do is screw the antennas onto the mounts. Yamaha installs the CB so that the wires exit to the left side and that antenna wire from the CB goes to the left antenna mount. That is the mount that the CB mast needs to be screwed onto. It's easy to verify. Just trace the antenna wire from the left mount and verify that it goes into the black box under the trunk. That is where the actual CB is installed. If the antenna wire goes from the left mount into that black box, THAT is why the CB antenna should be screwed onto that left side. That is the only reason. The bottom line is that the antenna mount that has the cable going into that black box under the trunk is the mount that the center loaded antenna mast should be screwed onto. I've never seen one that didn't come from the left mount. Too many dealers don't know the difference and just screw the masts on to either side.

if you install the wrong antenna on the wrong side your radio will work fine but you wont have CB.

Thats why it matters is because the radio wire goes to one side and the cb wire goes to the other.

I'm installing a splitter and going with one antenna...

I've never understood the 'left-right' confusion on a motorcycle. There seems to be no confusion about which side is the left side of a CAR. Why the confusion for a motorcycle?

Hammer,

Not all folks have the brain power you have. LOL. There are a few that have some thick, slow running gray matter such as myself. Hey, at least I prefaced it by saying it was gonna be a dumb question. LOL.

BL

Hammer,

Not all folks have the brain power you have. LOL. There are a few that have some thick, slow running gray matter such as myself. Hey, at least I prefaced it by saying it was gonna be a dumb question. LOL.

BL

Lenny, I was not picking on you alone...you are not the only one who has asked for clarification about right or left. I think the question is as old as motorcycles. I just don't understand why there is such an old question. :think::thumbsup2:

You folks are all complicating this way too much. The reason is very simple. Yamaha ships these bikes to the dealer in crates. They CB is pre-installed by Yamaha under the trunk. The antenna mounts are also mounted at the factory. All the dealer has to do is screw the antennas onto the mounts. Yamaha installs the CB so that the wires exit to the left side and that antenna wire from the CB goes to the left antenna mount. That is the mount that the CB mast needs to be screwed onto. It's easy to verify. Just trace the antenna wire from the left mount and verify that it goes into the black box under the trunk. That is where the actual CB is installed. If the antenna wire goes from the left mount into that black box, THAT is why the CB antenna should be screwed onto that left side. That is the only reason. The bottom line is that the antenna mount that has the cable going into that black box under the trunk is the mount that the center loaded antenna mast should be screwed onto. I've never seen one that didn't come from the left mount. Too many dealers don't know the difference and just screw the masts on to either side.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the simplification.

I've never understood the 'left-right' confusion on a motorcycle. There seems to be no confusion about which side is the left side of a CAR. Why the confusion for a motorcycle?

I don't know! Kevin, Left? Right?...You can't even figure out the alphabet! :banana: