IGNORED

Ahhhh,, the summer of 14,,, ADVENTURE SERVED UP GORMET STYLE!!!!

cowpuc

@Carbon One , @habfan, @billmac and @Canuck1 got started in some kind of a mechanical discussion that ended up with Carbon One presenting our first official show and tell time. Besides having a lot of fun, a person can learn a lot from discussions like these and can walk away from them with not only more motorcycle knowledge than he had when he entered the discussion but also with some really wonderful new friends.

DSCN5600.JPG

DSCN5599.JPG

DSCN5598.JPG

DSCN5597.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard rumors of these things called "Maintenance Days" that are held around the world by folks who belong to VentureRider.org. Apparently they are very similar to what was about to unfold here at Raggies Rally with the exception of more than one bike at a time is probably being worked on at official MD's. It was amazing how the following example unfolded right before my very eyes. I was so glad that I happen to have my old beater camera along to record the spectacle as it gained speed. @Drews stood innocently by as the spectator seats filled up with anxious Rally attenders wanting to find out what all the mirth was about. Our very dear friend Carbon One was amazingly able to continue in his work and complete the arduous task of installing an air horn on Billmacs gorgeous scoot while a major YouTube production was in process with new internet video stars the likes that had never been seen in YouTube history.

DSCN5607.JPG

DSCN5610.JPG

DSCN5606.JPG

I wonder if anybody else noticed on the Main Street Sturgis video the midnight RSV that passed you going in the other direction...

I wonder if Ragtop will do another M&E this summer...

I wonder if Puc and company will make it to the WNY Regional Rally in August...

I wonder if the snow will ever melt...

Bob on your list I saw the RSV in the video, Hopefully we'll convince Raggy to host another M&E, ya I hope the Puc came get to the WNY rally too, and last I just looked at the weather forecasts for the next week for us here in SE Michigan. Starting Saturday and all the way thru next week we'll be seeing 40-48 * temps for highs so I'm looking forward to seeing the ground again. Something I haven't seen here since late November. Hope some of that warm air gets over your way too.

Larry

I wonder if anybody else noticed on the Main Street Sturgis video the midnight RSV that passed you going in the other direction...

Yup seen it.

Ask him

Ask him

Not if I can help it.......

Well OK some can melt, but winter ain't over yet....:rasberry:

I hope so, I hope so, I hope so and I hope so:big-grin-emoticon:

Yup seen it.

Ask him

Ask him

Not if I can help it.......

Well OK some can melt, but winter ain't over yet....:rasberry:

AHAAA,, a sign of weakness!!:225::thumbsup:

Having just been treated to a genuine Hollywood level YouTube recording session, my little taped over, bruised up 50 dollar CTFWing camera started copping an attitude and began filming innocent biker people who just happened to be found wondering around at Raggies Rally. What had trickled in as a mild mannered, quite type of subdued event was quickly getting out of hand with even the sounds of Big Twin Harley's pulling into the parking area of the grand opening here at Raggie and Jeannies Rally World! I felt my little camera reach out and grab a friendly looking bike riding champ and open up its inquisitive zoom lense in the familiar gesture of inquiry as to the person's name and home origin. Thankfully, the fellow by the name of "Fat White Boy" (aka - Tom) was very cooperative with my camera and, even though he had been warned that the little video my camera was recording would eventually end up on youtube, my camera and he departed as good friends.

DSCN5611.JPG

DSCN5612.JPG

When a person is passionate about something in life, be it their family life, sporting events, clothing they wear or even motorcycles, they usually spend a fair amount of time pursuing what ever it is they are passionate about. For some reason, my life has been endowed with a love for people and a love for motorcycles. I have ridden cross country on everything from dirtbikes, choppers, Harley's and Metrics. It was back in 1987 when I acquired my first Yamaha Venture and, including our current 1983 Venture ("Tweeks"), I have worn out 5 of them thru the years. My passion combined with those many years of owning/riding these same bikes has caused me to have grown to highly respect the machine and engineers who designed them. I recently sold a 1942 Harley Davidson that I rode when every I got the chance to and, it went without saying that when I stopped for gas on that old Harley - at least one person would comment about how "cool" of an antique motorcycle it was. The 1st Generation Yamaha Venture's like Tweeks are not in that category of motorcycling antiquity to most people, but to me - they are pretty close. Modern day motorcycling has taken us far beyond the days of the 1st Genners and, again, because of my attachment to them, I always do a double take when I see another bike like Tweeks still being ridden - especially if that 1st Generation Venture happens to be one that has had extremely good care (if you want to see examples of what I am talking about go to Venturerider.org, sign up on that site and than attend one of the many adventures posted on their yearly calendar!!). While attending Raggy and Jeannies Rally, @Carbon One told me about a fellow member who was attending the Rally who owned a Venture that was a classic example of what I am referring to. CarbonOne pointed to a beautiful 1st Gen Venture that had found its way to the party. I walked over and started chatting with the owner, @BuckShot, about his bike and got to hear the story of his motorcycles history. I almost could not believe what I was hearing. Buckshot and his wife had purchased this 1986 younger sister of Tweeks BRAND NEW right out of a Yamaha shop back in the year of 86. The two of them then used this beautiful motorcycle in their Marriage ceremony as their chosen method of transportation during their Honeymoon!! Mr. Buckshot explained to me that they had also acquired a Side Car for their bike (not shown). What a wonderful, special, treat to hear the story of the Buckshot's and to get to see their beautiful machine!!

DSCN5622.JPG

DSCN5623.JPG

DSCN5619.JPG

DSCN5618.JPG

DSCN5621.JPG

DSCN5616.JPG

Edited by cowpuc

A few miles back in our journey this year, while attending another Rally that was being held in a place called The Dalles, a dear friend and Texas Hero of mine by the name of @bikerjohn, had noticed the American Flag that hung on Tweeks back. John and I were chatting one morning during one of our camp site chats when he walked over to Tweeks side and noticed that her flag was in pretty rough shape. John asked me if I would mind changing it the first chance I had to do so. I told John that I had rescued that precious flag from a roadway a few years ago while attending the Sturgis Rally. Shortly after rescuing it and placing it on Tweeks side, I had bumped into a young soldier by the name of Major Smith who had just returned home from his second tour of duty in Iraq. Major Smith was an Army Ranger who lived in Butler Pennsylvania. He was riding his brand new Harley out to the big Rally when he happened into a restaurant in Murdo South Dakota where I was waiting for the waitress to bring my supper. Having noticed that Major Smith had a Harley shirt on that said "Harley Davidson - I got mine in Iraq" and then noticing that the waitress had just told him that he was to late to order supper (it was 10 p.m.) I caught the attention of the Major on his way out of the door. I asked him to sit down for second and share how a person would purchase a new Harley in Iraq. As he explained his story, the waitress brought out my food and I slid it over in front of the Major and told him I wasn't hungry and that his meal was on me. At first he refused but when I told him I would throw it out before I would eat it knowing that a young man who had just arrived home from fighting to preserve the freedoms we have in our country was gonna go hungry,, he got my point and cut a deal with me that we would share it, we became instant buddies! Major Smith rode his entire stay at the Rally that year with me and my cousin. We camped on the open prairie and in ghost towns, rode dirt two tracks and single track across the Black Hills to a place called Devils Tower in Wyoming and I had a blast watching him get funny looks from some pretty tough ombre's for riding his new Harley on Main Street Sturgis right next to a tired old 1st Gen Yam with a Tent hanging on her backside. Major Smith earned my respect during those wonderful days we shared together. Before we parted company after that great week, I had told him about the gorgeous American Flag I had rescued. I also told him that, out of respect for his, and others, service in that God awful mess, that I would was not going to replaced Tweeks flag until our boys fighting in Iraq/Afganistan came home.. Interestingly enough, President Obama had just recently announced the coming home of those hero's. Knowing that, I told John that at my first chance to dispose of Tweeks worn out American Flag properly and to replace it I would do so.

Due to the recent discussion with John about the Old Glory that was hanging on Tweeks right side, it shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did to have the "Changing of the Flag" happen so quickly after we had gotten home from out west. It was getting later in the day at Raggy's Rally when @ragtop69gs walked up to me, pulled me off to the side of all the festivities and asked if I would like him to put a new Flag on Tweeks side!! Raggy had to have noticed my jaw drop in wonderment when he produced that question. I told Raggy about the Flag that Tweeks bore, its back ground and the discussion that had taken place between @bikerjohn and myself. Like John, Jay (Raggy) is also a Veteran (thanks again for your service guys) and he explained to me that he would personally take the American Flag that had so proudly hung on Tweeks backside for all those miles after having been rescued from a lonely Sturgis Rally Highway and make sure that it was disposed of properly at a ritual at the local VFW!! It may be hard for some folks to understand but for Tippy, Tweeks and myself - all of this was very touching. Raggy completed the task of replacing the battered and worn American Flag with a brand new one of which we are all very thankful for! THANK YOU JAY!!

DSCN5633.JPG

DSCN5632.JPG

DSCN5631.JPG

DSCN5630.JPG

It was pretty much the end of the rally when folks started gathering around to help us try and fulfill what is rapidly becoming an impossible dream. What started out as some what of a deep sense of sentimental awareness for me by having my grandsons sign Tweeks old Blonde side cover before we left their home in Sacramento years ago, has become a very passionate connection between the three of us and the people who make up the wonderful CTFWing world around us. It has been and continues to be an honor and a privilege to have these wonderful people, like the new friends we had made at Raggy's Rally in Detroit Mi, share in accomplishing this task that means the world to the three of us. A giant thank you to anyone and everyone who has added your story to Tweeks aging body so she can gently tell of the wonderfulness of life on the road to all who will listen and maybe even they will be willing to assist in this loving gesture! We treasure all of your signatures and think of each of you often as we continue in our CTFWing journeys (because of placement, some of you are easier to remember!!)!

DSCN5786.JPG

DSCN5785.JPG

DSCN5634.JPG

Puc you seem to be warming this old frozen heart.

How can I go make your favorite weather when I have a leaky eyeball and everything is all blurry......

Kinda like that door keeper in the Wizard of Oz,, he was like "go away kid - your buggin me" till he heard the story.. Then his sprinklers came on and the gang cruised into Oz without one speck of that white stuff on them from waking up covered with the stuff in that field!!

Kinda like that door keeper in the Wizard of Oz,, he was like "go away kid - your buggin me" till he heard the story.. Then his sprinklers came on and the gang cruised into Oz without one speck of that white stuff on them from waking up covered with the stuff in that field!!

Keep it coming PUC, your fans, friends and audience are hanging onto your every word.

VentureFar...

• 1 month later...

Something didnt add up here.. Doing my spring cleaning this last week and going over stuff from 2015 - I counted my empty oil containers, used oil filters and tires I had swapped out and something just did not add up, I KNEW I missed something in last years little ride report.. I figured out why my math was all messed up!! Today I was working on Tweeks, I accidently knocked her tank bag over while it was unzipped and all the stuff from the summer of 2014 fell out and LOOK what I found!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=98818&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1429064559

A close examination of the contents of that Mini-Card from our Tablet revealed that I had actually missed a few miles from last year fun!!! I haven't got the time right now to go into detail BUT I will say this, after returning from the ride out to California and catching Raggies Rally, we decided to head south - after outrunning a Tornado (went right over our heads - it landed in Tennessee) and having its hail rip stickers off Tweeks fairing - kinda like Dorthy and Toto, we landed in a strange place called "Guntersville" in Alabama. While trying to figure out exactly where we were, I found this little article in the local News Paper. I know most of you varmints would rather be washing the smell of gasoline from your paws than reading an old news paper article BUT, I thought someone out there might be interested in this (C-Pics).. There are also some other pretty neat pics and vids on this little "Card" that I will share when I get a second to do so. Might be some - pictures of strange inhabitants (human and animal form) - motorcycle repair in the dark of night - examples of Southern hospitality and even some interviews with several lop eared VR characters that I am really enjoying sitting here listening to!!

20150414_201047.jpg

20140730_123003.jpg

20140730_122859.jpg

20140730_122908.jpg

20140730_122915.jpg

20140730_122952.jpg

Hi Puc, thanks for sharing the article!.....my favourite part was "riders from as far away as CANANDA"....They might want to fire up the old spell checker there at the news paper office, that is if they are referring to us folks up here in the great white north. :canada:

Nothing beats reading a small town news paper, one of my favourite things to do while I'm traveling. That or the National Enquirer gossip rag, but I haven't found Yamaha Venture news in the Enquirer...yet.:happy65:

Hi Puc, thanks for sharing the article!.....my favourite part was "riders from as far away as CANANDA"....They might want to fire up the old spell checker there at the news paper office, that is if they are referring to us folks up here

Isn't CANANDA somewhere up north of Canada?

• 1 year later...

Got a brand new bike named Tweeksis

that really needs brokin in,

Got a brand new Tuner for my heartbeat'

that makes my blood run thin..

Got an abdomen free of cancer,

they gutted that puppy out.

And they cured my leaky brain seal,

made a plug up in my snout.

Got my right hand fixed so now adays,

even my pinky will open up much.

But my left hand it still aint right,

that's ok cause I can one finger clutch.

If all works out and the good Lord smiles,

on Tip and I this season.

Gonna take ol Tweeksis an run this route backwards,

just for stickers if for no other reason!!!!

:big-grin-emoticon:

Hey Puc!! Heck of a ride in 2014 was nice to read it again.Love the poem, sounds like the smile is back on your face and all is comming up roses. Very happy for you,could'nt happen to a nicer fella. Hope to see ya'll for some of them gourmet hotdogs sometime this summer. I wish you all the best.

Dan

Got a brand new bike named Tweeksis

that really needs brokin in,

Got a brand new Tuner for my heartbeat'

that makes my blood run thin..

Got an abdomen free of cancer,

they gutted that puppy out.

And they cured my leaky brain seal,

made a plug up in my snout.

Got my right hand fixed so now adays,

even my pinky will open up much.

But my left hand it still aint right,

that's ok cause I can one finger clutch.

If all works out and the good Lord smiles,

on Tip and I this season.

Gonna take ol Tweeksis an run this route backwards,

just for stickers if for no other reason!!!!

:big-grin-emoticon:

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

@cowpuc ..... as you may recall, I'd offered to put this entire story into a document complete with pictures for ya. Well I did get a lot of it done ... had bookmarks set for each picture and had saved somewhere around 250 pics. Some time between then and now I had a hard drive crash. Was certain all your "stuff" was saved to a different location, along with all my own "stuff" .... well for the life of me I can't find any of your stuff. Been looking and looking recently coz I really wanted to complete the project. IT AIN'T THERE NOWHERE!!

:225:

However, I do have a couple "retired" hard drives which I haven't looked at yet so maybe..... just maybe .....

In any event, if it's all lost, I'm sorry bud... and just a little PO'd at myself for loosing all that work.

:95:

• 2 months later...
Our coin tossing had led us into areas that seemed to be shy of fuel stations and, even more troublesome, our water supply had gotten down to about a half of cup left in our side mounted water tank. We had gotten beyond the point of concern about the water we were lacking and we had resorted to finding roadways in higher altitudes in an effort to give us more distant views in order locate anything that resembled civilization. This effort paid off as we noticed what appeared to be a tiny town located a few miles away. As we pulled into the small cow town of Jordan Montana, we smiled at each other as we noticed a little one pump fuel station with a older cowboy walking into its small office door way. I filled Tweeks tank, went inside and inquired about water. After I paid for Tweeks fuel, the gentleman inside told me that the area was part of the huge water shortage affecting the west and that he simply had no water. I can still see the look on Tips pretty face as I walk out of the building with an empty water jug while shaking my head no. As I climbed back on Tweeks, I told her that we may very well have to resort to going door to door visiting the area cowboy houses in search of the precious fluid.

We drove thru the small lonely little town that had the resemblance of a Hollywood movie set for something like Gunsmoke (it was actually way smaller than the Dodge City that ol Matt Dillon had protected) and noticed a small building placed on the last corner while exiting the east side of the village. A small sign was written above the door of this small garage like building that had caught my eye. It looked like it had "Senior Center" written above the doorway. The sign peeked my interest so we turned around and went back.

There was a couple cars parked outside of the building, I pulled up beside them and could instantly hear ladies laughing inside. I looked at Tip, handed her the water jug and asked her to go in and see if the ladies would give us some water. Tip walked in the door and about a second later an older, very friendly cow girl came walking out of the doorway that Tip had previously went inside of. She smiled, walked over to Tweeks, looked at me standing there with sweat dripping off my face and asked if I was the husband of the lady who had just came in for water. I nodded yes that I was, she said they were having an ICE CREAM SOCIAL inside and that we were more than welcome to come and have some!! The lady hadn't even finished her sentence as I was putting on my tee shirt and was disappearing into the building.

After cooling off in the air conditioning found inside the building, we polished off a couple big bowls of some DELICIOUS ice cream covered pie, cake and brownies. We visited with a gathering of several local cowboy families and a couple of WW2 Veterans. Tippy had followed one of the local ladies into the ladies room which was located somewhere deep inside of the rearward portion of the old building. She suddenly reappeared with a VERY excited look on her face and stood there motioning me to come see something she had found. I stood up, deposited my worn out ice cream bowl in the garbage at the end of the table I was sitting at and walked over to see what all the excitement was all about. I felt my jaw bounce off the carpeted floor as I walked into what appeared to be a scene from Jurassic Park. I stood there in shock as Tips pretty little hand petted the jaw of a T-REX!!! Neither one of us could believe the accumulation of dinosaur bones that these folks had in beautiful display right in the back of that old Senior Center. I also could not get over the fact that we were allowed to actually handle these amazing prehistoric remains! The center also had a gorgeous accumulation of relics dating back into the cowboy days of our country and also a beautiful collection of WW2 Military items that were donated by Veterans from the area.

Before we left the Jordan Montana Senior Center with our jug filled with water, I could not help but mention to the women who had invited us into their care how thankful we were for their kindness. I also told her that Tip and I had visited many museums thru the years and were shocked at the prehistoric accumulation the center had in its possession. The lady explained to me that one of Montana's greatest hidden secrets was that Jordan is the epicenter for prehistoric finds. That many of the worlds best known Dinosaur Exhibits owe their existence to Jordan. She said that a lot of the remains found in the Center were actually found on top of the ground in the surrounding area!! This small 4th of July adventure proved once again that if a person really wants adventure - it usually starts off with getting lost, at least it seems that way to the three of us!

Dale124 = I am looking for some photos in a past road trip report of mine and noticed the above. I instantly thought of your inquiry earlier this year and a response I made therein about Jordan Montana. You had mentioned looking for Cowboy stuff. The above has a taste of what I was referring to - not sure if the photo's will show but,, if they dont,, this was from page 18, scroll down to post 257 - find the pics of Jordan and notice the cowboy stuff that I accidently photoed - just scratched the surface brother!! Hope your trip pans out = maybe even that our buddy divey is able to tag!!

I wonder if your talking about macaysville Ga. and copper hill, tn? May have been on hiway 64 not sure about which road you where on, There are some great riding up in north Georgia for sure. I have truly enjoyed your adventures that you are sharing. Makes me want to get out and ride. :Venture:

Edbo - I have NO idea how I missed this but I did!! I have been looking and searching - trying to figure out where we were when we found those border towns meeting each other - Maccaysville and Copper Hill! It was SOOOOO awesome up there.. Anyway - doing a little research here trying to find a picture about Sturgis to share with another member who was just talking about riding a Canyon out in Sturgis and BINGO - I discover your post,,, checked it out and guess what? Looks like YOU NAILED IT BROTHER!! THANK YOU!! Tip and I were talking about maybe swinging down that way very very soon - perhaps as soon as this summer on our way west!! That is some AWESOME riding down there in that area - definitely out classes The Dragon IMHO.. Anyway,, thanks again Edbo

Now back to looking for those photos..

Puc