IGNORED

Interested in reloading

Mad Dog

Thinking about getting started in reloading, and like a lot of things I thought I'd throw it out here for opinions. I guess I've been told enough to stay away from Lee - which was disappointing because of the pricing!

I have a friend recommending a Dillon Square Deal? Any opinions there?

Other suggestions? or things to look for?

Thanks as always

Been a few years. Still have the equipment in the attic. I had pretty good luck with RCBS.

If you do a lot of shooting, reloading is a great hobby. Saves you a lot of money, and you learn a lot about ballistics.

I hear lead's getting pretty expensive though.

The only advice I'd offer is to avoid loading everything to the max all the time. It's harder on the gun, shortens the life of the brass, and if you're loading pistol rounds, running lead bullets (no jacket) faster than 1000fps will lead up the barrel.

I enjoyed shooting low/mid power rounds in my 44 mag. Shooting max loads in that beast is downright uncomfortable.

Good luck, and good shooting!:usa:

Depends on whether we are talking shotguns or rifle/pistol... i used one of those cheapy lil lee loadalls for years for my shot gun, worked great, still got it... Hard to beat rcbs for rifles, amazing the accuracy you can obtain with a little patience... also amazing where the costs of playing with that stuff has gone in the recent years...

I also started out with the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit, I still use it a lot.

Yes the price of reloading components has gone way up, But have you priced ammo in the store?

I have an old Lee that I use for shotgun reloading.

Max loads are seldom the most accurate for any gun. I usually prefer accuracy over raw power. But I figure that if I wear the gun out then I have a good excuses for a new gun. I generally sell my "worn out" guns to a hunter that will only put a few rounds a year thru it. I call a gun "worn out" when it will no longer shoot sub MOA groups. Most people that I have sold my "worn out" guns to have said it was the most accurate gun they ever had.

I have always enjoyed reloading.

I also started out with the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit, I still use it a lot.

Yes the price of reloading components has gone way up, But have you priced ammo in the store?

I have an old Lee that I use for shotgun reloading.

Max loads are seldom the most accurate for any gun. I usually prefer accuracy over raw power. But I figure that if I wear the gun out then I have a good excuses for a new gun. I generally sell my "worn out" guns to a hunter that will only put a few rounds a year thru it. I call a gun "worn out" when it will no longer shoot sub MOA groups. Most people that I have sold my "worn out" guns to have said it was the most accurate gun they ever had.

I have always enjoyed reloading.

What ammo? I dont see no ammo? Bunch of empty shelves is all I see.... Good point Jeff.. Things sure have changed, man I miss the 75 cents a box 22 shells..

what do you want to reload and how much do you shoot a year? I have two Dillions , a rcbs and reload about 5000 rds a year down from a few years ago when I was loading 14-15 thousand a year.

:sign outstanding:,,, me n my good buddy Bill would hunt deer with a mini-gun if they would let us :guitarist 2::usa:

I have used a RCBS single stage press & the related accessories for years now and it still gets the job done. I did have a Hornady progressive press for a while that was good but sold it to a shooting club member who wanted more speed in loading handgun ammo. For me the single stage is all I really need for loading up both quality rifle & handgun ammo. I use a mix both RCBS & Hornady dies depending on caliber.

Yes component costs have gone up considerably but so has everything else in the shooting sports. With a good stockpile of components you can be selective when buying replacement items. Other than .22 rim fire I shoot reloads exclusively.

First time reloaders should stick with a good reloading book. As mentioned max loads aren't needed for best accuracy or longevity of the firearm.

Remember safety first & foremost.

Larry

Dillon 550, and a MEC jr progressive for the shotguns. Keep an eye on local CL for opportunities - Dillon is pretty good on the parts and service angle - I've had them send me all new bits, gratis. Square deal is a good entry, but more limited on what calibers, etc. RCBS has a good rep - can't speak to Lee, but I have a lot of their dies, ladles, etc.

Glenn in Tucson

Thinking about getting started in reloading, and like a lot of things I thought I'd throw it out here for opinions. I guess I've been told enough to stay away from Lee - which was disappointing because of the pricing!

I have a friend recommending a Dillon Square Deal? Any opinions there?

Other suggestions? or things to look for?

Thanks as always

I have friends that say good things about their Dillons... Personally I use RCBS presses because the were cheap, and instead of getting a progressive loader I have 3 stations. Most of the equipment was picked up off Craigslist.

Nothing wrong with Lee products. I have used a Lee single stage press and dies for years. The ammo is very accurate. I weigh all of my powder charges. I don't trust drop powder measures with extruded stick powders, which I use the most of. Ball and flake powder charges seem pretty consistent from them, though.