IGNORED

Iron Butt Preparation

gez

Saturday, 4:30 am, I embark on an Iron Butt 1000/24 Run. I've installed new brakes, a rear tire and fresh oil and think the bike is ready to go. We're following the perimeter of Florida, a 1039 mile route. The weather forecast looks perfect, with a temperature range of 56-75 degrees with only a 10% chance of rain. I just wish there was more daylight.

Details

http://www.meetup.com/360Riders/events/195770712/

and I just wish I could join ya, sitting here watching some of FlyingFools work fall from the sky (the Fool airmailed 2' of the nasty stuff to our U.P. - icky)....

RIDE SAFE AND HAVE AN AWESOME TIME - DONT FORGET A PIC OR TWO FOR YOUR BUDDIES BACK HOME HERE.. Riding Iron Butt in November = OUTSTANDING!!

Go get em Gez!!

May the wind be at your back, the sun shine warmly and law enforcement be asleep as you ride down the hiway...... I went through a National Park (Speed Limit 45MPH) and got clocked doing 67 doing my Iron Butt ride. Shame on me!! Have a GREAT ride, I hope all goes well!

Well, it's over. 1060 miles (on my odometer, 1047 on google maps) in 19.75 hours. Eleven riders started, 9 finished. At the 200 mile mark the rear tire on our leaders Vision blew at a bit over 70 mph in the center lane of I75. Lee managed to scrub off a lot of speed and get on the shoulder before he highsided. Another rider accompanied him to the hospital where he was held overnight, six broken ribs and a fractured collarbone. The rest of us continued on. It was my first Iron Butt and it wasn't as difficult as I anticipated. I could have dressed warmer, I'd forgotten how extended periods riding in low 50's chills the soul. I was glad my 30 year old leather pants still fit, the jacket, a bit too tight to be comfortable on extended rides. It was an experience with great folks that I'll now call friends. Today, I'm not so sure I need to do this again. It's on my did it once list with parachuting and scuba diving over 200'.