IGNORED

New Metzlers

loehring

I don't generally talk up products but I have to say something about the new ME880 Marathons. I've been running the ME880s for a couple years and though I've heard of a couple problems I've never had any. I've been averaging 20k out of the rear and I got 50k out of my first front. I was always pretty pleased with the handling and felt they were great touring tires.

Last week I replaced the rear and found out they had changed the tires a little. The shop I use told me the new ME880s changed the way they size them (they were 140/90). Now they use an alphabetical system. I was also told they changed the compound some in an effort to increase both mileage and handling. Over the past week I decided to put that to the test. The max PSI on the old rear was 50psi. The new ones dropped to 40PSI so they're already a little softer in the ride but I have to admit I was surprised at the handling. I've put her through some tight high speed turns where I threw some good sparks and I have never felt so confident on a touring tire. They really felt more like sport tires. Yesterday we had some pretty good rain here and I had a chance to check the wet pavement performance. Same results. Very solid.

It will be a couple months before I have any real idea about the mileage but the performance is the best I've ever experienced in a touring tire. If they wear well and the delamination issue has been corrected they have a real winner here.

Guest Saddletramp

I to was impressed with the Metzler ME880. I put a set on my V-Star last year and couldn't believe the difference in handling. Was going to put a set on my Venture this year but the local dealer has made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a set of Dunlop whitewalls that he got stuck with.:fingers-crossed-emo

People raved about the 880's on Star Touring website I put them on my V-Star 1100 and never felt safe on them both front and rear would get loose in turns stopping was terrible, the back would always break free, i had to really feather the back to stop. They did seem a little better on really hot days in the summer , here in new England. This was a 2004 1100 I put over 25,000 miles on her before I parted with her early last year. The stock Dunlops I felt safer on in corners and stopping they had about 15,000 on them when I changed to the 880. Now I have a 05 RSTD that I picked up for $9000 from a HD dealership the beginning of last summer that had 8700 miles. This bike has Bridgestone EXEDRA whitewalls, which the previous owner put on it that feel like someone glued them to the road stopping power is awesome cornering and all I love them now it will be to see how long they last before new ones.:cool10:

I would try them, but they dont have white walls....I love my AVON's though :thumbsup2:

Eck,I will give you a set with 1700 miles on em...wouldnt recommend putting em on your bike though...they have chunks of rubber coming of the rear tire...May make a good fire! Tom. (Put Avons back on)

I got more than 1700 miles out of mine.

Took about 10,000 miles before they got chunky on me.

They were a nice handling and riding tire while they lasted.

I loved the handling on them too, but tires are not designed to chunk, or delaminate like the Metzlers do. After 3 sets of them and losing rubber off of two sets I went back to Avons.

Hello from downunder.

I had a 99 RSTD until I got the 2007 Venture. For most of its 87,000 kms I ran ME880's.

I always felt happy with them. I cannot reconcile the mileage claims most of you make for tyres. Here it may be our (often indifferent) tarseal roads but I considered 15-18000 kms good going for tyres and those who used a bit more stick would see less.

Just before I traded the RSTD I put Continental's on it and the improvement especially in easy curves was very noticeable.

When the Venture needs rubber I will have to toss up between ME800's, Continental's and (as there seems a fair weight of anecdotal evidence for them) Avon's. I guess the $$ will have something to do with it.

Guest KitCarson

I used to like Metzler tires......I still like the tread pattern........but I like many others grew afraid to use them. Too many reports of the belts in the tires coming apart.......chunks coming out......and in two cases real exact photos of rear blow outs......so......

I have searched on the internet for reports of trouble with the Metzler Tire. I can find no updated reports of any type of incidents with these tires.

I have never personally had any chunks fly out of tires......the last set I had was on a Honda Shadow......they did fine......then heard about all the trouble ......

So instead of hearsay......and age old fears we all get when something fails just like the Firestone tire did a few years ago......does anyone know how to find out exact and critical information on these tires.....where would you look to find actual reports....away from motorcycle forums for info on these tires.......

Actually the only tire I had delaminate was a Dunlop.......I caught it early as I have pretty much always checked my tires before every ride.....but it had a bubble under the main tread......now I could have ran over something and damaged the tire....do not think so....but did have 8000 miles or so on it......

So were the trouble Metzlers just a bad run......a bad batch.......have heard they were the ones from France.........have heard a lot of things........were they old tires setting around for five years......looked good but dry rotted.........

Anyone with a professional look at these tyres???? I have always found Michlen tires to be just about unbeatable......but trouble can be had with any tyre.......I like the tread pattern on the Metzler.......but the Michlen is almost the same......in fact the Metzler is pretty much a copy of it......so anyone know any facts about this situation??

I'm kind of curious about the delaminating issue. Every post I've seen here deals with a 2nd Gen. There is a pretty big difference in tires between a 1st and 2nd. I did a little searching and found this HD forum with pictures from 3/07. This looks like a very different tire than I have used for the last 2 years. I wasn't aware of a WW and the tread pattern doesn't look like mine either. I wonder if this could be an old tire. The shop I go to has always made a point of not trying to compete with lot sales. They are all bikers and they keep very few tires in stock. They have a regular clientel that calls ahead and they have the tire the next day. They will only deal in new tires and refuse "deals". That's how I found out about the changes to the tire. I even caled a couple other shops and they used the 140/90 while my shop told me Metzler had update the tire and these were the new composits. It does make you wonder whether age or lots coul;d have something to do with the problems.

http://www.hdforums.com/archive/threads/metzler-me880.have-a-look-1441481-1.html

Guest KitCarson

That is the third photo I have seen of a tire like that........thats enough for me......no more wondering.......you can hit me three times and I wake up......Metzlers can stay in the store.....I will use my Michlen's. I survived a rear blowout.......boy if it ever happens on the front.....I do not think I can keep the bike up........Thats enough for me........even a hint of a bad tire scares me......and I throw them away anyway at about half life......never again do I want a blown out tire.

i went to my local yamaha dealer , today to pick up parts.

ran into a couple of guys, from rockport texas, on V-Star 100's.

one was having NEW metzlers put on. so - - do i need to try and contact him, with this photo?

or does the tire problem not exist on V-STAR tire sizes?

sure seemed like a nice guy, even if he does belong to GYPSY M.C.

just jt

• 2 years later...

Interesting thread as my ME880's are getting ready to be changed out. Mostly one-up riding, ran front at about 40 psi, rear about 48 psi. Both manufactured in Germany. Current mileage is 17,500 miles. No cracks, chunking, bulges. Remaining tread on the back suggests I'll be changing them in the fall.

I had assumed that I'd change to Elite 3's, but now I'm interested in the new ME880. Just wish I could get WWW's for this bike without going to the smaller front tire.

Kelly

i have an 86 venture and had my metzeler rear sidewall let go out on the highway. what a scary event and i was very lucky that the bike did not go down with my wife on the back. the tire only had only 3,000 miles on it. i must admit that i did like the way the bike handled with the metzelers on it.

i fought with metzeler for 6 months, got nowhere and i gave up. i now only run Avon or Dunlop. i am on my 2nd set of Dunlops and still have had great experience with them.

i also have a buddy who rides a Harley that had a metzeler let go just after he came off the highway going to Dons maintenance day. the sidewall was bulging out the left side, it looked like a half a football sticking out and his bike was wobbling back and forth severely. he has gone back to Dunlop on his Harley.

i would never ride a bike with metzelers on it again. just my 2 cents worth.

I'm curious to what I'm doing wrong...I've only gotten 13k out of my rear metzler (RSTD). I don't accelerate hard and for the most part one up riding. About the only thing I do that might wear em down is down shifting, which I feel like I'm pretty conservative on that.

Trying the E3's next.

I've always run the metzlers always had great experience with them, usually get around 12,000 miles or so out of them. I run pretty hard and never any issues and had them on several different bikes. I put a set of the elite 3's on to try mainly because of all the hype on how good they are supposed to be. The elite's do lean in better ( less effort ) but do not ride or corner like the 880's. It may be because I am so used to the 880's and how they feel that I'm not liking the corners as well but the wife also noticed the ride difference time will tell. The price of the elite's was better then the 880's and hopefully I can get some extra wear out of them. My :2cents:

OK, I have been following the threads on here about tires for some time.. It is time for me to replace my tires again.. I have a 2009 RSV and have run the stock brand of tires since I purchased the bike in March of 09... I currently have about 18,000 miles on the bike.. On the first set of Bridgestones, I got about 12,000 miles on the rear and 14,000 miles on the front.. Replaced with same stock tires since I felt I got pretty decent mileage from them. However you all seem to be getting much better than that. So about 2000 miles later the rear was smooth..... I contacted Bridgestone and so did the dealer and they replaced the rear for free. Well here I am again about 4,000 miles later and back to a tire with about 1,000 miles left to it.. My brother has had great success with M880 on his small Harley and i thought about them for mine.. However your posts are concerning me. I know I probably drive hard.. Fast, good leaning in the turns, and mostly 1up riding..... So I am looking for the best tire for mileage and performance, without breaking my bank... What does a guy do?????? Prior to all these posts I was pretty set on the M880's but now am concerned.. I also notice some of you mention different sizes????? The other question I seem to fail to find a definite answer for is.... Can you use two different brands/patterns from the front to the rear? Like a Bridgestone front and a M880 rear?? My front tire is still in decent condition, do you have to run a match set? I'm not trying to be a cheap ass, but money is tight.. However I want the best I can get for my money.... Not to mention, it is the only two tires under me and want to make sure I am as safe as possible... Anything further teaching from you all would be great.... I have 2 trips planned shortly and need to make the decision soon about the tires..

JM:bagpipes-emoticon:

I have run Metzler tire for 15yr. with no problem. Ready to change them again and was talking to the Michelin salesman about the chucken problem on Metzler tire and he said the only thing that will cause that is running to low a tire pressure or overloading the bike. Will be putting a new set of Metzlers on soon.

I am a huge fan of the M880's for the RSV. Performance doesn't lie, and I've gotten excellent performance out of mine - - over 18K on the rear and 20K+ on the front. I'm a fan of the Dunlop 402's for my Softail, and the 404's for my VTX Retro, but for the RSV, I'll happily stay with the M880's.

OK, I have been following the threads on here about tires for some time.. It is time for me to replace my tires again.. I have a 2009 RSV and have run the stock brand of tires since I purchased the bike in March of 09... I currently have about 18,000 miles on the bike.. On the first set of Bridgestones, I got about 12,000 miles on the rear and 14,000 miles on the front.. Replaced with same stock tires since I felt I got pretty decent mileage from them. However you all seem to be getting much better than that. So about 2000 miles later the rear was smooth..... I contacted Bridgestone and so did the dealer and they replaced the rear for free. Well here I am again about 4,000 miles later and back to a tire with about 1,000 miles left to it.. My brother has had great success with M880 on his small Harley and i thought about them for mine.. However your posts are concerning me. I know I probably drive hard.. Fast, good leaning in the turns, and mostly 1up riding..... So I am looking for the best tire for mileage and performance, without breaking my bank... What does a guy do?????? Prior to all these posts I was pretty set on the M880's but now am concerned.. I also notice some of you mention different sizes????? The other question I seem to fail to find a definite answer for is.... Can you use two different brands/patterns from the front to the rear? Like a Bridgestone front and a M880 rear?? My front tire is still in decent condition, do you have to run a match set? I'm not trying to be a cheap ass, but money is tight.. However I want the best I can get for my money.... Not to mention, it is the only two tires under me and want to make sure I am as safe as possible... Anything further teaching from you all would be great.... I have 2 trips planned shortly and need to make the decision soon about the tires..

JM:bagpipes-emoticon:

I put the 880 on the rear of mine before replacing the stock front Dunlop with no issues. I used the Dunlop around 5,000 miles before replacing it with the matching 880. I immediately noticed a improved ride and cornering ability. We live in East, TN the dragon, the skyway, the triangle are all in the back yard and we ride there often just another rode around here. I wouldn't hesitate at all to put another set on.

i went to my local yamaha dealer , today to pick up parts.

ran into a couple of guys, from rockport texas, on V-Star 100's.

one was having NEW metzlers put on. so - - do i need to try and contact him, with this photo?

or does the tire problem not exist on V-STAR tire sizes?

sure seemed like a nice guy, even if he does belong to GYPSY M.C.

just jt

Shouldnt worry about it. Marilyn has em on her vstar and loves the way they handle. The vstar is a much lighter bike. I think our bike was just too dang heavy for the older metz.

I, too have been following this thread as well as the others. In any business, you track stuff for trends in hopes of being able to make a decision to a better future.

I see the Metz tires running somewhere around 50 -50 on like and dislike.

the avon fans seem to run higher than that on the "like them" side.

the E3 fans seem to run close to avon but edge out a bit higher for the "like them" due to avons cracking issues lately.

this is why i have an E3 on my rear tire (which i like better than the D404 that went flat) and plan on using an E3 for the front when the D404 wears out.

this is just me and how i see it. i really like how everyone puts out there evaluations of their tires. it does keep us safe in the long run.

thank you, one and all.

• 2 months later...

Been using Metzler's on my 99 RSV since new. Right now having a new set put on with mileage being 24K on the front and 18K on the rear. Bike is ridden 2 up w/travel packing 80% of the time. Did have a bit of chop on the rear but nothing major. I do know that Metzler tire's last longer and run cooler when maintaining the air pressure toward the high side of maximum. I am having Nitrogen put in the new set and will evaluate the performance after the scuff period...:Venture: