IGNORED

Would you trade a 2nd Gen for a 1st Gen?

ACE50

I would say that is a matter of preference on your part.:confused24:

I used to ride a 1rst gen and never felt that that bike was well planted at speed. Alway's felt like the front end was lifting and getting skittish. My current 2nd gen is the best riding bike I ever had, so for me the answer would be no. You should also factor in the age of the 1st gen as you get into issue of part availability and also rubber and plastic parts simply deteriorating after time.

I am sure that others will chime in on this question based on the on-going ribbing between 1st and 2nd genners :stirthepot:

:canada:

I don't mind working on bikes and am sure it would need some TLC.

Just never spent any time in a 1st gen to compare to.

Your comment on handling surprised me though.

It was just a weird feeling that never allowed me to have full confidence in getting too agressive with it. Maybee its just the difference of the 1st gen having a frame mounted fairing as opposed to the handlebar mounted one on the 2nd gen? Could have simply been that there was an unrecongnized problem with the 1st gen I had.:confused24:

On the 2nd gen (and I am sure this will start another debate:stirthepot:) steering was very heavy until I moved from a 150 to a 130 size tire in the front. Since then it is very agile at low and high speeds.

:canada:

Having had both I would say "Sure" if that's what you want! Both 1st and 2nd gen's have their pros and cons. The 2nd gen is more comfortable and being newer, more reliable but the 1st gen handles better and is quicker. The 1st gen was light years ahead of it's time!

I like the sound of that!

My '06 RSTD with 29K for a '86 with 19K in OK shape. Not a straight trade of course.

I know I am not answering your question, at least not directly, but I wouldn't trade my lst Gen (86) for any 2d Gen. I prefer the greater power, the one of a kind style even if it is kind of outdated, and the handling. Forgot to mention the OEM center stand.

Having owned both, No I wouldn't trade for one. If I wanted to carve roads better and faster I would buy an FJR or ST 1300. The 1st gen is a great machine, but for comfort the 2nd gen wins hands down for me. The slight advantage that the 1st gen has in handling over a 2nd gen doesn't really matter to me on a touring bike. If I want to go fast all out, a new Vmax or Busa....

:2cents:

Having owned both, No I wouldn't trade for one. If I wanted to carve roads better and faster I would buy an FJR or ST 1300. The 1st gen is a great machine, but for comfort the 2nd gen wins hands down for me. The slight advantage that the 1st gen has in handling over a 2nd gen doesn't really matter to me on a touring bike. If I want to go fast all out, a new Vmax or Busa....

:2cents:

darn brad, take it from one who knows. we are getting to old to go fast. i'm down to a honda ruckkus now. i rejetted it this morning, and what a thrill. i hit 30 mph on a hill i could only do 20 on last last week. now thats what i call high performance. :draming:

Guess it would totally depend on the deal for me..

Lets say the difference being made up in cash was gonna get me out of debt on the bike and I didnt use it enough to make it worth owning, yep,, I would do it..

Or,, lets say it was gonna make it so I could spend the summer touring the country, going from party to party, sleeping out on the prairie and up in the mountains, coasting down those mountains with my best friend Tippy, riding HWY 1 along the west coast, looking for tidal bores up in Nova Scotia, being broke down and meeting new GREAT friends because of it... Hmmmm,, yea I would do it,,, those 1st Gens are very capable bikes.:cool10:

On the other hand,, if the deal were not that "sweet" and you gotta choose 1 as an everyday rider,,,, there is a HUGE difference between owning a newer bike and one that is 20 years older.. We didnt name our 83 "Tweeks" because I never have to work on it! :backinmyday:

Edited by cowpuc

My '06 RSTD with 29K for a '86 with 19K in OK shape. Not a straight trade of course.

It all depends, as others have said. :confused24:

Of course it wouldn't be a straight trade! How much cash do you have to put with your RSTD to get the '86?

:confused07: :whistling:

It all depends, as others have said. :confused24:

Of course it wouldn't be a straight trade! How much cash do you have to put with your RSTD to get the '86?

:confused07: :whistling:

Ya bet me Todd!! Yeah I think it would depend on how much "boot" you had to give!! Most 86s come with all the bells and whistles so....