IGNORED

RSV Electrical Capacity Info

Ok...here's an update

I talked with Paul Brent @ Electrosport and we got on the same page. I am going to be the Guinea Pig with my '99 to help them develop a more useable charging system for the G2's.

I really dont know anything technical about the charging systems, so I wont be able to give you any good answers. What we did talk about was assessing the needs that we have for the bikes and developing a charging system that will better suit us.

I am going to take off my regulator, Stator and magnetic flywheel and send them to California where they will test the actual capacity of the stock unit and see what they can come up with for us. I'll keep you updated as I am filled in on the progress :happy34:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....that's what you get. :) I actually called Rick last week but he was out for the afternoon. I was supposed to call back the next day but just hadn't done it yet. I guess my lapse was for the good, now you have to take YOUR bike apart and I don't. :rasberry:

Actually, I'll still follow up with Rick. It won't hurt to have him looking at it also.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on the charging system upgrade? I'm more nervous than ever about mine now. I installed the Kuryakyn LCD voltmeter, and it's amazing how close I must be running to the max charging capacity. All I have to do to throw the LCD into "yellow" is to hit the brakes, turn on a turn signal....sometimes even just setting the cruise control will push it over the edge. I am going to start replacing rear lightbulbs with LCD bulbs to save a bit of wattage. I had been considering a higher wattage bulb in my passing lamps, but unless I can find a beefier alternator, that probably would not be a good idea.

:(

Hey Guys;

Any updates on an improved alternator?

I am in the process (bike in the air and ready to be tore down) with getting the items sent to California to electrosport. I have just been way to busy to be able to latch onto it.

I will get it there and they can figure out what needs to be done. Just a little more paitence with me and I will get it there :happy34:

Any updates on the charging system upgrade? I'm more nervous than ever about mine now. I installed the Kuryakyn LCD voltmeter, and it's amazing how close I must be running to the max charging capacity. All I have to do to throw the LCD into "yellow" is to hit the brakes, turn on a turn signal....sometimes even just setting the cruise control will push it over the edge. I am going to start replacing rear lightbulbs with LCD bulbs to save a bit of wattage. I had been considering a higher wattage bulb in my passing lamps, but unless I can find a beefier alternator, that probably would not be a good idea.

:(

I wouldn't get too excited when those lights go amber. If it is the gauge I am thinking of the lights will go amber when the voltage goes below 13.5 volts. While it would be better if the stator was putting out something closer to 14 volts, 13.5 is a long way from causing a drain on your battery.

I used the Kuryakin gauge when I first became concerned about the Venture's charging system. After having those amber lights disturb too many of my rides I switched to a digital guage that provides the actual voltage. On colder days, when the carb heaters are working over time the volt meter never reads above 13.5.

As long as it stays above 13.1, I can live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know some folks have been following this thread, here's an update. I sent out my Charging system to Electrex in California last Wednesday or Thursday (CRS sucks) so the ball is finally rolling. I'll tell you all that it was a huge PIA to get all of the items off the bike. If they can come up with a better deal that cool, but it may be a lot more hassle than it's worth as the wire diameter might need to be upgraded to a larger size to accomodate more current if that is the case.

I'll be talking to Paul here in the next day or two and I'll keep everybody abreast on whats going on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sponge Bob

Hey Guys, these posts are from Aug. 06. Did Electrosport come through with a new and upgraded Stator?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sponge Bob:icon_smile_question

I put a digital voltmeter on the scoot, 06 RSV, last week. Today I rode it for the first time. Notes: ignition on, but on running 12.3v, idling with a Pilot LED brake/running light bar under the trunk and the passing lights on 13.5 volts. At 55 MPH in O/D, cruise on, CB on and radio on, 13.8 to 13.9 volts. Note: I turned everything off I could at one point still 13.9 volts. I'll check with the trailer on later in the spring.

Hey Guys, these posts are from Aug. 06. Did Electrosport come through with a new and upgraded Stator?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sponge Bob:icon_smile_question

They are still doing R&D on my charging system, I haven't heard from Paul as of yet. As soon as he get's ahold of me I'll come back to this thread and let you all know what is going on :happy34:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok....

Quick update, I FINALLY got my charging system back :banana: To only find out that now I'm not pushing any current :bawling:

I recieved the stator and magnet/flywheel 2 days ago, and they forgot to send the regulator with it. Then the overnighted the regulator which I got yesterday. I assembled the bike last night, started it up, and found that I was only pushing 11.6 volts :( So now I have to troubleshoot the system, I'm hoping it's just something like a regulator. Paul Brent has talked with me and says he can make an upgraded stator for the RSV. I want to talk with him some more but he was saying about 4 amps at 1500rpm and about 9 at 3500 rpm. I'll get back with him and make solid on the #'s.

To be quite honest, this has really sucked, I wont ever do this again. A job that supposedly was suppost to be 2 weeks turned into about 2 months. Now I have to troubleshoot my charging system, this hasn't been a good experience. Paul has mentioned that it would be about 6 weeks before the prototype stator will be done. I'm not sure that I want the hassle of installing it on the bike :confused24:

As I know more, you will know more.

I have noticed that many of you have the capability to turn off the passing lights. I don't seem to find a switch. 2000 Venture. Is this something that some of you added?

DOT standards say they should be wired so they can be shut off. Mine came with a switch mounted on one of the the lamps. It was a junk switch though and I replaced it with a switch that controls the lights through a relay (left the old switch in the hole and just took it out of the circuit). The switch I use is one of a bank of three that mounts on top of the front brake resevoir. I use it to control a relay that turns the passing lamps on and off. It is a showchrome unit that I bought from Extreme Revolution. Here is a link. The relay is a standard 20 amp 12 volt automotive relay from JC Whitney.

Best of luck.

I have noticed that many of you have the capability to turn off the passing lights. I don't seem to find a switch. 2000 Venture. Is this something that some of you added?

Passing lights.

Their are many ways to wire passing lights. Here is how I wired my 02 RSV.

From the battery I send a fused power suppy up under the front cowling.

For the passing lights and other accessories I installed a relay that is turn on and off by the ignition switch. From there I installed some switches on top of the master cylinder. (pic below) I used one of those switches to turn on and off the passing lamps. :2cents: :080402gudl_prv:

I have the style of spot lights that have the switched on one of the housings too. And have eliminated from the circuit entirely. My system is wired up pretty much like Al done his too. My Showchrome switch box switches just close the ground circuits of the relays so no power goes thru them at all. Currently the Showchrome switch box turns on/off my low beam headlight, the spot lights, and the lights in my tack and volt meter.

Larry

I have the style of spot lights that have the switched on one of the housings too. And have eliminated from the circuit entirely. My system is wired up pretty much like Al done his too. My Showchrome switch box switches just close the ground circuits of the relays so no power goes thru them at all. Currently the Showchrome switch box turns on/off my low beam headlight, the spot lights, and the lights in my tack and volt meter.

Larry

I've been considering installing a switch to shut down my low beam as well, for those days when I want both vests and my grip warmers on. We travell only during the daylight hours and besides its easy to turn them back on when not using all the equipment or travelling in higher traffic area's. Its a lot easier and cheaper than fooling around with the alternator coils I think. A degree of safety removed for a short duration I agree but done cautiously it is an easy solution to my need for more wattage, at least long enough to keep the battery charged.

Ok....

Quick update, I FINALLY got my charging system back :banana: To only find out that now I'm not pushing any current :bawling:

It's pretty clear this has been a PITA for you and you are missing good riding weather. Thanks for the sacrifice.

I will read with interest what Paul predicts the numbers for the improved stator will be. The amps you mentioned were not very good and I suspect may be misquoted.

If it helps with this experiment, I have a burned stator from my 2000 Venture hanging around here. I have been looking for someone who could rebuild it and find more output out of the design without sacrificing reliability. If Paul needs one to play with we might be able to work something out.

Back to fill you all in on the progress, the bike is finally rideable. The problem turned out to be the Regulator/Rectifier. I called Paul again after I found out I had no charging and even though I got his voicemail within 10 minutes they called me back. They walked me through checking the stator legs to be sure there wasn't any problems there, they were all good.

Mind you this is on a Friday night on the east coast about 6:30 PM and when I got through talking with them they were packaging a new Regulator to ship it air overnight. It actually arrived at my house by noon Saturday and I reassembled the bike and took it out Saturday evening for a 20 mile shakedown run.

Today I took it out for better than a hundred miles and had no problems. What is going to happen now is Paul and his crew are going to make an upgraded Stator using all the info the obtained from my charging system. It will have a bigger capacity than the stock ones, but I might have not totally understood how much exactly. It sounds like at highway speeds turning 3500 rpms it will be an extra 200 watts. I will get all the actual #'s from Paul when they get the prototype done and shipped to me. That will take 6 to 8 weeks from what Paul had said.

It has been a big mess at times, but atleast we will be able to have a better charging system due to all of this. I have learned some valuable lessons here and have a few more smarts about the charging system under my belt.....and the journey will continue :)