IGNORED

RSV Electrical Capacity Info

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sponge Bob

Sorry you had a PITA time with the electrical system.

However if all goes as planned with Paul, and we all can get a bigger Stator, we all will be indebted to you.

Sponge Bob

Tucson AZ.

"It's a dry heat" :225:

• 1 month later...

I know there have been a lot of folks following this thread since it started. Unfortunately I have some not so good news to add here, take it for what it's worth.

Just recently when I got the charging system back I believe I mentioned that my stator wasn't assembled correctly when it was shipped back. I fixed that problem and installed it. Then the system wouldn't charge, to which I found my regulator was bad. Electrosport shipped me out one of theirs next day air, that was nice.

Wednesday before last as I was coming home from work my '99 died for no apparent reason. It turned out after some sleuthing that my charging system wasn't working and I bought a new battery thinking this was the problem...it wasn't. The regulator that I recieved from Electrosport had died, it's only about 90 days old and in the process my wires that connect to the unit started to melt.

Now I'm no electrical genius, I don't claim to know anything electrical wise besides some simple obvious things. Before I started this deal with Electrosport I had ZERO problems with the bikes charging system. Now I am having nothing but fits. I further find out talking with one of our members here that has a Vstar that on their Delphi forum Electrosport bally hooed about upgraded charging systems on the V*'s. They had nothing but trouble with the parts that they recieved and Electrosport dropped off of their forum.

I don't want this to be misconstrewed, this might not be Elecrosports fault, but they are VERY hard to get ahold of and it seems as if all signs are pushing towards a possible inferior product with not much support. I have to say that I personally wont be using any of their products anymore. The upgraded stator that they are supposedly making for me will not go into my bike. I dont have a good feeling for the product or the lack of response that I have not been recieving.

You all will have to decide for yourselves, and by no means do I expect anyone to take my advise. I just wanted to give you a heads up on what has happened to me with all of this and you all can decide for yourselves...Just figured you might like to know :(

Here are some pics of what happened with my bike

• 4 months later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Might be cheaper and easier to hang a little yamaha or honda generator on the trunk rack! If your pulling a trailer, even more space for it!!

Use it camping, then hook it up to the battery on the bike and keep that sucker charged while riding the bike!! How about aftermarket pipes for the little generator!!

:whistling:

In all seriousness, maybe we can't get there from here. It seems as if on these bikes, the whole system is designed to work together as a matched system. It may be that the regulator/rectifier setup wont be able to handle the extra current load from a hi-output stator. And there will be more 'drag' on the stator if more current is being drawn thru it.

I'm certainly hopeful that something could be developed, but until then, I bought my ride knowing about its barely adequate charging system, and plan to moderate any added electrical loads. The bike is otherwise well engineered, handles good, and is reliable.

Good enough for me!

They really are great bikes even with their minor flaws. I don't think I would want any other bike right now as its got everything I want at a price I can afford. If I had another 33k laying around then I might think about another bike but that ain't the case.

I run a lot of stuff and its just a juggling act to keep everything powered when its cold and I have the heated vest and gloves on.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Brian,

I think you did. And from what I see they didn't conclude their R&D until just November 1st, where it's now available for sale. I've never noticed but has Buckeye always offered high output stators for the 1st gen and now they have one for the RSV?

I'm really surprised that Electro Sport hasn't been able to make one that will work. Brad, with the burned up connector you showed I'm wondering if maybe they needed a soldered connection where Buckey makes a special note that Their unit requires hard wire (soldered) connection?

Sorry for getting you involved in this project. It's been just about a year now hasn't it?

Rick

I'm really surprised that Electro Sport hasn't been able to make one that will work. Brad, with the burned up connector you showed I'm wondering if maybe they needed a soldered connection where Buckey makes a special note that Their unit requires hard wire (soldered) connection?

Sorry for getting you involved in this project. It's been just about a year now hasn't it?

Rick

Hey Rick,

Yeah it's been right at a year, I saw a post where Rick H at Buckeye was running tests on a G2 with the upgraded stator. I figured I would let them test it for a while 1st. I'm not sure if I will change out stators with all the headaches that I have had. I'll probably run this one till it pukes and replace batteries as nessecary. :confused24:

• 8 years later...

Do you all realize how useful this hole thread is. I just stumbled upon it when Freebird posted in a welcome thread. I just found caps cheap, Wires Cheap, High Output state Cheap. I own first gen and maybe I missed this Buckeye site. Wowzers Squidley You brave man tearing your bike apart and sending parts off.. and all to benefit others... way to go even tho its years late..

Do you all realize how useful this hole thread is. I just stumbled upon it when Freebird posted in a welcome thread. I just found caps cheap, Wires Cheap, High Output state Cheap. I own first gen and maybe I missed this Buckeye site. Wowzers Squidley You brave man tearing your bike apart and sending parts off.. and all to benefit others... way to go even tho its years late..

Snyper, You are correct,, that Squid is a great guy that is always willing to jump in and help another rider. :thumbsup2:

FYI, I run 55W passing lamps, extra lights in the back. During cold weather I have a heated jacket, pants and gloves, never have I had my battery go dead on me, but, when its cold enough for all that gear the bike gets plugged in every night and I have a 60 watt light bulb under the oil pan that keeps the oil fairly warm at night for easier starts in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...