IGNORED

keys! locksmith advice needed

muaymendez1

My one key isn't looking too hot.

It opens the bags and box great. The ignition is not a great fit. I have to jiggle and wiggle it (the key) in order to get it to turn.

I stopped by a locksmith and was told that he can't make a copy of a bad key. You got some trouble is all he said. I think he was upset that he threw out a key after he tried cutting it.

What should I do. I was gonna experiment buying a blank online and cutting it myself with a Rotary tool .

I think as long as the valleys are fine, and I keep the peaks sharp, I should be fine, but odd like to hear from some locksmiths that can offer some advice

[ATTACH]83449[/ATTACH]

I had the same problem a year or so ago. Went to a lock smith and he sprayed it with some silicon in a spray can. He DID NOT recommend using graphite as he said it had the tendency to turn to a paste when it got wet. He also said NOT to press down when turning the key. A method he showed me works every time. Grip the key withe thumb and index finger. Slightly pull back towards the key ring then turn the key. You can feel a slight bit of sloppiness in the lock mechanism when you pull back then turn. Works every time!

Dealer wanted I think $180.00 for a new lock. Plus you have to drill out the existing bolts as this is an anti thief feature. Not sure if new bolts with break away heads come with the new lock. :080402gudl_prv:

I'm not a lock smith but we replace keys and re key cars all the time at work (Honda dealership) If you copy a key from a bad key you have another bad key. The best way is to get another key by keycode....not sure that's an option....but then chances are the ignition pins are bad as well. Best solution is to replace the ignition but prob not cheap to do......can you do a bypass with another ignition and tuck it away somewhere ?

Keith

I've had keys made from the code and the locksmith didn't need my key. If you don't have a anything with the key code (gas cap or bags, or helmet lock on your bike may have a code, new ones don't) a locksmith can measure the key with a machine that tells him what the keycode should be, then he can have a machine make a new key from the code. Ken Veit in Calhoun GA (a forum member & locksmith) showed me how it was done several years ago.

Edited by RandyR

there should be a key code on the key if its not a hardware store copy. I've had keys made from the code and the locksmith didn't need my key.

No code on the key itself. I think the code should be on the lock somewhere. Ill look for it. This is the only feasible way it seems because I still need a key for the bags and trunk.

Ill try another locksmith, three key is working fine in the bag locks. Even if not a perfect copy at least something to get me home if....lets say the key slips out of my hand abd falls in the the sewer drain that you parked 5feet away from.

It COULD HAPPEN!

I get my keys made at Lanes Yamaha. The owners wife is amazing, she can look at a key and Knows what key code to use. Then punches in the code and out comes a new key. apparently there are only so many variations to Yamaha keys.

Just some info. The flats on the key are where the pins ride. There used to be only 6 positions, I don't know if that changed. The code is held by the selling dealer when the bike was new. Yes, don't use anything but silicone spray. Have the key punched not cut. The rotary marks are like a file to the pins. I'm sure there is more that I forgot......

YMMV

Not sure about the RSTC but look on the bag locks, there may be a number code there. Also check under the chrome ring for the gas cap or under the cap itself. The 1st Gens are stamped on the outside of the ignition housing, if I remember right. Need a small mirror to read it instead of trying to take switch apart.

Jim

I'd try a dealer and pay the high price they charge for a key, get one made make sure it works then try to find a locksmith to make another. Many locksmiths don't carry many bike keys if they don't get many request for them as they usually have to buy them by the box. I do like the idea if you need a new key made because the key is so bad is take off the helmet holder and let them work off that.

What a coincidence, as I was just looking to get a spare key cut yesterday. I went to a Yamaha dealer to see if they cut keys or have blanks for sale, but they don't. I went to a couple of auto parts stores, but neither could help me. I was told to go to a locksmith, which will be this mornings errand. This was made necessary due to last weekends event of nearly loosing my main key, and having no idea where the spare is that came with the bike. I was monkeying around in the garage last weekend and mad a couple of trips to the hardware store in my truck when I noticed I can't find the bike key. I am getting bad for setting things down and not remembering where I put them, so I assumed that is what happened this time too. I searched the house and garage extensively but it was nowhere to be found. Getting panicky now, I retraced my steps and looked out of the garage on the driveway. Well, there it was, resting in between the driveway and the alley. It had already been ran over once, likely by me, but was still ok. If I can find a locksmith to cut one, I think I will get 2 or 3 cut, just in case.

Dale

I went crazy with m,y last bike. I sit her up in the driveway with her cover on for winter but I would uncover her every so often and run the enige to keep it fresh.

1 day I was searching every where for the key . I turned the house upside down and tehn had to clean it after I founfd the key in the ignition of the bike form the last time I fired her up.

having one key makesme nervous. I always like keeping a spare in my wallet for emergency.

Got a locksmith here, that all he needs to do is to see the key, and pronto he cuts another. When asked if he can open a car with the keys locked inside, his first question is: can I see the key? if he can it's half the cost. Service comes with 2 keys and a key holder.

Just purchased a blank. It's actually a yamaha blank and not the genetic type. I will take it to a few different lock Smith's in the next few days. I am a truck driver so I just pass a few everyday. Maybe I just went to a locksmith who want to professional.

I got my Bike with one key only and made me very nervous

I got a key blank from this guy on ebay comes from China so it takes a while, for the price they look awesome, I wish I had order more ! so I would have one to give to you

never post a link before hope it works

I don't know or have any business with this person just it worked well for me and for two bucks at our door it is worth the risk lol

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/251379511133?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I had the same issue so I invested in a Curtis key cutter and the proper pieces to cut my own key. It was very costly to do that, but I figured I would be able to help others with the same problem.

I can punch new keys for other people with this issue or that simply want a factory-like punched key(s). I have the standard blanks and can also get the black cover Yamaha ones, or black cover knock-offs. You would have to send me your worn key for me to get a reading from and then I can set my cutter to "punch" the key rather than grind it like most everyone does. This "punching" method is the same method used to make the original key.

I was going to advertise this service on eBay but I never took the time to do it yet. The price for the first standard blank key is $20 which includes shipping back to you within the U.S. The other blanks cost are additional, $8 for a knock-off black cover and $16 for a genuine Yamaha black cover. If you want to send me blanks, the cost to punch the first one is $20, and each additional is $3.

Just email or message me and I can give you more details.

Edited by Heartbeat