IGNORED

not charging

Ok need some help here.. My new to me MM is not charging. When I put test leads across the battery it reads 12.5 at any rpm. My guess is it just reading what is in the battery.

If this was a 1st Gen I would know where to look. On this one I don't even know where the 3 wire plug is or where the regulator is..

Where do I start?

Is the stator the same as a 1st Gen MkII? I have a new one of those sitting here.

Will the shendin regulator for a 1st gen work.? I also have a new one of those..

That is if I need any of them.. maybe (I hope) the plug is no good.. easy fix just don't know where it is..

Help Please

Lower front fairing, right hand side, mounted upside down, connector on top.

No, I don't think the stators are the same, mound different if I remember right.

R/R should work, just a matter of finding a space to mount it, and wiring it in...

You could just buy a slew of batteries, and then when one goes dead, mount the next one,,, you'd probably get a good price as well, maybe like wholesale, so you could help the rest of us out when we need one,,,,,, and then you would have a continued use for your trailer.

I really don't know where they put those wires, but if you look in the lower faring on the right hand side, just behind the water bottle, you might come up lucky.

I think the water bottle he is talking about is the coolant reservoir which is under the seat in the center. Probably need to take off both side covers and then the center piece. Which is secured by a Phillips head screw hidden under some vacuum lines. Then work it out one side or the other. Then a couple 10mm head bolts and you can get the tank out so you might actually be able to see something.

Hey guys :

thanks for the help.. the plug is more or less under the seat and I have to dismantle some stuff to get to it and the regulator is front right lower fairing.. Gonna be having a look see as soon as I get a little time.

I'm in I.T. and with XP support being axed I'm extremely busy right now..

In the tech section there is complete write up of all of the tests for a non charging system.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81297

This has all of the steps compiled from many different threads and personal experience all laid out in a logical step by step order to follow. Written for a non electrical person to follow.

Flyinfool's test procedure above is a very good one. One thing you could add (but not a necessity) if you want to know amp output of your stator and you have a carbon pile style load tester handy, is the test below.

1. connect positive and negative clamps to the battery and the inductive amp clamp on the ground wire coming from the battery (these clamps can be directional so you may have to clamp it in one direction for the first reading and reverse direction for the second reading).
  2. With the key on and but engine not running note the amps on the amp scale.
  3. Reverse direction of the clamp (if needed) and start the engine
  4. With the engine running at 2000 rpm turn the knob on the carbon pile to load the battery until you pull it down to 12 volts and note the amp reading.
  5. Add the amp readings from lines 2 and 4 together.
  6. this will give you the amp output of your stator @ 12 Volts @ 2000 RPM.

This test and can also be performed using a separate inline amp meter of sufficient capacity connected between the ground cable and battery post and separate voltmeter and carbon pile connected across the battery terminals.

Edited by saddlebum

While a load test would be a great test, I figured that anyone that had the equipment to do that test would also have enough electrical knowledge, that they would not really need the procedure in the first place. I tried to write that for the guy that only has a $4 Harbor Freight meter to work with, and has no idea what all those settings on it mean.

While a load test would be a great test, I figured that anyone that had the equipment to do that test would also have enough electrical knowledge, that they would not really need the procedure in the first place. I tried to write that for the guy that only has a $4 Harbor Freight meter to work with, and has no idea what all those settings on it mean.

You are absolutely right, I just thought I would throw it in as an added point of interest. Believe it or not although we have the equipment at work, I do have techs working with me that do not realize that a battery load tester is useful for more than just load testing battery's. Sad but true.:confused24:

Edited by saddlebum

My new to me MM is not charging.

If this was a 1st Gen I would know where to look. On this one I don't even know where the 3 wire plug is or where the regulator is..

Had a similar problem when I got my 99. Just got it, and the ignition went out on me when I was suppose to meet a bunch of you at Gary N's, did not even know where the fuses were or how to tank the tank off.

I looked at the manual and was able to hot wire it.

Get the manual and start reading to get familiar. :sign20:

Good luck

Brad

I have a manual, Wayne, that XV1100SE ( Don) gave me for free. You can pick it up next time you come to Toronto.

Actually they are photocopies of the whole manual in a folder.

:beer::canada:

Hey...i did tell Wayne about the not charging problem...:backinmyday:

Thanks Abdul.. I'll most likely take you up on that