IGNORED

A Friend And Fellow VentureRider Has Passed Away.

86er

Greg Darling is a friend that I met a few years ago. He followed me into a restaurant and asked "Was that you that just rode up on a Venture?" I replied "That depends on why you want to know!" That was the beginning of a friendship. He had just bought a 92 and we sat and talked Ventures, I turned him on to this site and we began to ride together. Later he moved it to his house in Florida and bought an 83 to keep here in Roswell. On this site he went by GOYO, and although he didn't post, he did check in periodically.

He has been battling cancer for some time and, after going through treatments last year, was in remission and doing well; getting both his strength and hair back. I called him a few weeks ago and he was in the hospital. He told me the cancer was back with a vengeance and he said he had a lot of family there, but would call me in a few days. I talked to him a little over a week ago and asked how he was doing. He said "Not too well, I am in hospice now and don't have very long. But I've had a good life and am happy with it." I told him that I expect him to ride over my shoulder and he agreed.

I didn't get a chance to see Greg before he passed on Sunday (3-2-08). I am very sorry for that but after talking to his mother-in-law today, he was not really aware of much for the last week.

Greg is survived by his wife Valerie and 2 young children. There is to be a memorial service on the Tuesday after Easter which is the 25th. I'm not sure where it will be held but it will be in the N Atlanta area and I intend to ride to it if at all possible. As the time draws near I will post the time and place for any that care to join me on the way to or at the service. Don, I will try to get you info and a picture for the Memorial Page.

You will be missed, Greg. Ride with God.

Really sorry to hear this news. I sure wish that they would find a cure for that horrid disease. We lost my sister in law and now my mother in law to it over the past couple of years and this weekend. Now we found out yesterday that my wife's aunt only has a day or two to live due to cancer also. Way too much of it in this world.

If anybody has a good picture of Greg, please email it to me at dnelson@axcesswave.com so that I can use it in on our memorials page.

Thanks for all the words of condolence.

It seems that the memorial service will be on the 25th of this month at 4pm in Roswell, Ga. As the time draws near, I will post more details for any that, like Fred, would like to join me for a ride to the service.

Todd, I am just now reading this thread for the first time. You had mentioned Goyo's illness to me in conversation a couple of weeks ago but I had not realized that he passed on.

My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your friend, and through you to the family he has left behind.

Terry