IGNORED

general hand gun questions

baylensman

I have to politely disagree with bumble bee on Springfield being a glock clone. Springfield armory make fantastic firearms and have been battle tested. I own an XD and that fires flawlessly, no matter how much or little I fire it. It has an extra safe guard that fits in the webbing of your index and thumb ( the snuff box). It also has notches for tactical light. I have a streamlight on mine that I like. Yet the XDS, the subcompact model, did not feel good. I do not have large hands.

B

It is not exactly like the Glock, but more so than any other pistol I have seen or fired. And yes it does have the extra safety. To me it just feels the same in my hand, feels the same way when fired, and disassembles almost identically (much easier than a lot of other pistols out there).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP states that this is a home defense gun and not a CC gun.

In my book that rules out almost all compacts right off the bat.

You want a gun that is easy for you to control and that you are willing to spend the range time with to become proficient with its use.

The larger gun will also hold more rounds of ammo.

If there is a particular ammo that does not function well in your gun, that is the ammo that you want to spend some time practicing with, but NEVER use as your home defense round. That way you will learn to quickly and efficiently clear jams should one ever occur with the "good" ammo.

Since size of gun is not the issue and you say that you have big hands, I would recommend to go bigger than 9mm.

As many have mentioned, your best bet is to go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch to which ones fit you. or go to the range with some friends to try out their favorites. The best gun and/or caliber for me may be the worst for you. Some people are very recoil sensitive and some are not. Some guns will feel like a much heavier recoil with the same ammo than others. Some calibers have a lot more recoil than others regardless of what gun they are in.

Guest tx2sturgis
The OP states that this is a home defense gun and not a CC gun.

I noticed that a LOT of the answers posted seemed to be recommending a 'self defense' gun rather than a 'home defense' gun which are (usually) two different things.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. I believe a semi auto pistol is a poor choice for a home defense gun, unless you are a trained, skilled, law enforcement officer or a member of the military.

After not touching the piece for 6, 10, or 24 months or more, how are most panicked, sleepy, disoriented home owners going to be able to remember if the weapon had a round chambered, whether the safety is on, how to release it, (push left, or push right?) and how much noise do they want to make racking the slide. Smaller hands on some young males and some smaller females might experience jamming even assuming the weapon was kept clean and no internal rust built up from non-use, and the clips were rotated regularly.

Wheel guns are much simpler and ALWAYS fire (assuming its filled with decent ammo). If not, pull the trigger again. The non-firing round will clear.

My 2 cents.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I noticed that a LOT of the answers posted seemed to be recommending a 'self defense' gun rather than a 'home defense' gun which are (usually) two different things.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. I believe a semi auto pistol is a poor choice for a home defense gun, unless you are a trained, skilled, law enforcement officer or a member of the military.

After not touching the piece for 6, 10, or 24 months or more, how are most panicked, sleepy, disoriented home owners going to be able to remember if the weapon had a round chambered, whether the safety is on, how to release it, (push left, or push right?) and how much noise do they want to make racking the slide. Smaller hands on some young males and some smaller females might experience jamming even assuming the weapon was kept clean and no internal rust built up from non-use, and the clips were rotated regularly.

Wheel guns are much simpler and ALWAYS fire (assuming its filled with decent ammo). If not, pull the trigger again. The non-firing round will clear.

My 2 cents.

:happy34:

Ditto!

Actually I noticed right away that the OP already has the ultimate in home defense (IMHO) - 12 gauge shotgun specifically made for home defense.. Ya just cant beat a short barrel 12 with a flashlight strapped on the side for looks, stopping power, pointing and shooting at close range AND easy access to over the counter ammo!!

Since size of gun is not the issue and you say that you have big hands, I would recommend to go bigger than 9mm.

I agree you could go bigger than 9mm, but the bigger you go, you start worrying more about over penetration. I believe the OP said that the kids were gone, but what about a spouse, pet, etc. Or possibly the OP lives in a townhouse or an apartment. I would hate for a round to go through a wall and hit something I didn't mean to hit. I feel comfortable using a 9mm in the house if needed. (Also agree that a shorty 12ga is the best thing. I leave the KelTec KSG with laser sight near the bed ready to roll. Especially for my wife when I am out of town).

Edited by Ventureless

Guest tx2sturgis
I leave the KelTec KSG with laser sight near the bed ready to roll. Especially for my wife when I am out of town).

A law enforcement officer I respect, once did a short, simple demonstration about laser sights to a small group of us after a CERT training session.

I have never forgotten it.

We were in the parking lot at the police station. It was dark, about 10 o'clock at night.

He told us to look the other way and not peek. He then said, in one minute, turn around, and point to the car he will be hiding behind.

In one minute, we turned around, and he was gone. We had no idea which car he was behind.

Then....he lit up his pocket laser and pointed it at us.

THERE HE IS!

I hope I dont need to explain this.

But in case I do...here is the point:

If he was the 'homeowner' and I was the 'intruder', now I know exactly where to aim MY weapon.

:shock3:

Something to think about.

A law enforcement officer I respect, once did a short, simple demonstration about laser sights to a small group of us after a CERT training session.

I have never forgotten it.

We were in the parking lot at the police station. It was dark, about 10 o'clock at night.

He told us to look the other way and not peek. He then said, in one minute, turn around, and point to the car he will be hiding behind.

In one minute, we turned around, and he was gone. We had no idea which car he was behind.

Then....he lit up his pocket laser and pointed it at us.

THERE HE IS!

I hope I dont need to explain this.

But in case I do...here is the point:

If he was the 'homeowner' and I was the 'intruder', now I know exactly where to aim MY weapon.

:shock3:

Something to think about.

I can honestly say that if it was me using the weapon, not sure I would actually use it. My wife most likely. As for me, if you make it into my house with the dog barking and growling and waking me up, the whole family has bedrooms at the end of the hall so I know where they are (kids have night lights so it is easy to see them in their beds from my bedroom doorway) and I will be in the dark at the end waiting for you to pop around the corner. And if my dog is barking and growling at you and you are not announcing yourself as law enforcement, you will be blasted with as many shells as I can get off before you know what is going on.

I have the Ruger SR9C it's a 9mm with a little shorter barrel than the full size version with 10 and 17 round clips + 1 in the chamber, in has an interchangeable back piece on the handle to adjust to your hand. 9mm rounds are the best price if you want to do some shooting. I'm sure there are many out there that will work but I found this one worked for me $404.00

out the door and made in Prescott, AZ.

Good luck on you search, You'll know it when you put it in your hand.

I have a Beretta px4 storm in the .40, good gun and comfy.

I also have a CZ P-07 Duty in 9mm. Between that and the Beretta, I will pick up the CZ almost every time. It just plain fits me better.

Neither of these guns would be a good concealed carry gun though. Both are a little big for that. I have large hands as well. When I purchase gloves I wear XL......

I also have the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact .40, really enjoy this gun.

I have no issues concealing the Compact version and mags are interchangeable between compact and full size PX4, but not the sub-compact version.

MY 2 CENTS..

My two favorites...

Ruger LCP fits anywhere.. 380

SCCY 9MM a little larger. 250.00 just about anywhere. Made in Florida.

I have big hands too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ditto on the Ruger LCP. I can carry it with no print. It's very easy to ride with on the bike.

Is super simple to clean and break down. The best pistol is the one you have. If its too big to carry it won't be there when needed.

Also, the .380 cartridge is just a shortened 9mm.

Is one of the better calibers for home defense IMHO. You don't have to worry as much about what is behind you. The cartridge was designed for a specific purposes. Check a few gun forums for details there.

It does have a bite at the range though because of the light weight.

• 3 months later...
You will get a lot of different opinions on this. Your best bet is to go to a range and rent a few and shoot them. Or borrow or go shoot with friends that own different pistols.

I got a lot of pressure from my best friend to buy a Sig. I shot his all the time and couldn't hit anything with them. I started shooting my dad's Glocks and loved them but the price kept me from buying it at the time. I ended up finding a deal on a new Springfield XDSC 9. It was like a Glock clone for $250 less. Shoots great. Never had any problems with it. Holds 16 or 17 rounds.

Some other guns I own that people down play all the time are Hi-Points. I own a Hi-Point .380, .40, and .45 now. As well as a Hi-Point carbine 9mm rifle. Never have any problems with any of them (unless I shoot TulAmmo). They are cheap, warrantied for life, and go bang every time. They aren't pretty. They are fairly heavy and blocky shaped, but for the price and the warranty, they are hard to beat for cheap guns. If you have a problem, you send it back and they either fix or just give you a new one. Made in Ohio I believe. I especially like them for camping. If I drop it, if it falls in the water or mud, or whatever, I really don't stress. Like I said, you will get a lot of people bad mouthing them, but in my experiences with them, I have never had any trouble and can't say anything bad at all.

I am with you on that Hi -Point, sold my 357 mag. It is hard to find ammo and i did shoot the wife's 38.I have a 9mm, hi Point and you can buy 300 BRASS rounds for 105.00. My son is a LEO in Jacksonville Fla. and he said that if it is not a military or law enforcement round size they will be hard to come by, I may get in hot water for saying this, but that is what I call gun control

Big Hat no cattle!

I love big bore revolvers, but in the house if I can't use my shotgun...next choice would be .45 ACP. If it doesn't fit your hand and point where you're looking it's no good to you.h

Edited by beltfed50
misspelling

9mm is the least expensive centerfire ammo because so much of it sold.

I have a Sig Sauer P226 9mm, the Navy Seal handgun, and I doubt if there are any better handguns out there. It is double action on the first round if you don't have time to kock it and has an easy trigger pull when it is kocked. I stumbled on this weapon when I bought my first handgun from a coworker and I didn't realize how lucky I was to get it for a first especially for $350. Double action means heavy trigger pulls which throws off your accuracy.

Glocks are great with an easy trigger pull for accuracy, but they are the most accidentally fired weapons of all due to their design combined with the mistakes of man.

A 1911 is a great weapon, but you have to take time to kock it for the first shot. If you are sure you will have time, it's a great choice.

I have a Ruger LCP .380 for a pocket carry. It's reliable and small for pocket carry but it is double action and my accuracy is less than with the Sig D/S action. But it is for close range emergencies.

I also have a S&W Stainless Steel Model 639 9mm I picked up from a co-worker. It has a single stack magazine and I'm not as accurate with it as the Sig, I think mainly because of the poor rear sight.

A 1911 is a great weapon, but you have to take time to kock it for the first shot. If you are sure you will have time, it's a great choice.

Huh?

Correctly carried in condition 1 the only thing easier to bring to bear is a revolver.

Huh?

Correctly carried in condition 1 the only thing easier to bring to bear is a revolver.

In condition 1, you still have to hit the safety to fire. My Sig with the double action first shot is quicker, as quick as a revolver to bring to bear. A Glock has the easy trigger pull on the first shot so it is the easiest to bring to bear and hit the target with the first round.

I recently fired a Sig 1911 I rented at the local range and I really liked it. I'd like it even better if it was double action on the first round.

I've had a Ruger p89 for several years-9mm just about bullet proof shoots straight and has no problem with hollow points,easy to take apart to clean'they only cost about 350-375 brand new,so far I've never had anybody outshoot me because they have a 1000 dollar gun--LOL.:stickinouttounge:

How many of you that carry have used your gun in self defense?

Before you get all bent out of shape, I am not for gun control. I own numerous rifles and have owned hand guns. I just always wondered how many really have used it in need.

Bubber

I started carrying when I worked in Homestead FL. You have to live in a fenced in gated/ guarded subdivision or apt complex to avoid many burglaries. There is a policeman stationed at the Walmart and at all of the grocery stores. A co-worker was out mowing his lawn one day and a car stopped at the curb, a guy got out and pulled a gun and took his wallet. There is so much crime in southern FL that they make is easy to get a permit. If you are a veteran, you don't have to take the class and can have a permit in less than two weeks. Yes, I got used to carrying in FL and now I fell naked without it.

The closest I probably came to needing my weapon was when I went to the Walmart after getting off the night shift at 7:00am. I parked way out by myself. When I came back to my truck, a car parked two spaces away from me and the driver opened the window on my side and looked me over. I don't know what he had in mind but I was trying to psych myself up for what I may have to do. But he got out and went inside the store. I was happy I had my Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket. even though I didn't need it that time.

I opted for Keltec PF9 for my carry. Very small, single stack, double action 9mm with 7+1. Not the most well made or fancy weapon out there, but one of the smaller 9's you can get. For me... if I cant pocket carry easily.. I probably would not carry it all the time and then it would be useless. I just hope I am like the majority of those who carry and never even need to pull it. But if I do, I'm sure I will be glad I had that option.