IGNORED

A beginers bike?????

Flyinfool

My next door neighbor has been looking at my bike a lot and decided to go out and get himself a bike. He has NEVER ridden before.

The salesman convinced him that a 2013 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R is a great first bike.:scared:

All of that extra power makes it easier to learn how to use a clutch.:scared::scared:

I am trying to talk him into taking a MSF course.:bang head: He does not feel he needs one. After all he made it home in one piece.

It took him more than 10 starts just to get it parked, He kept killing the engine every time he tries to let out the clutch.

I fear this will not end well.:crying:

My next door neighbor has been looking at my bike a lot and decided to go out and get himself a bike. He has NEVER ridden before.

The salesman convinced him that a 2013 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R is a great first bike.:scared:

All of that extra power makes it easier to learn how to use a clutch.:scared::scared:

I am trying to talk him into taking a MSF course.:bang head: He does not feel he needs one. After all he made it home in one piece.

It took him more than 10 starts just to get it parked, He kept killing the engine every time he tries to let out the clutch.

I fear this will not end well.:crying:

Is he a good enough neighbor where you can be honest? Explain that a hayabusa is not a good first bike and is an excellent first bike for multiple speeding tickets and accidents, especially from a new rider. Everyone should be thinking of bettering themselves by taking a MSF course. If ya can not talk him into it, find out the days and times he intends to ride and stay far away...

Hope you can get through...

I am tempted to go to the dealer and talk to the salesman and/or manager.

I did give this article to the neighbor with the parts highlighted about being for very experienced riders.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/suzuki/2013-suzuki-hayabusa-gsx1300r-ar148448.html

I can only hope it gets through his thick skull before a curb does.

I think your idea about talking to the sales manager is a good one. I have worked in a few different bike dealerships and the sales people did not give a darn about anything except their pay day. I sincerely hope they listen and learn. The sales team will get a share of the smaller machine they should be selling for beginners. Good luck and let us know how things go.:fingers-crossed-emo

Maybe you should ask your neighbor what he would think of a car dealer selling someone a corvette as a first car to someone without a license or driving lessons? Or if he thinks car dealers are looking out for the customer. If he says no then ask him why he would think the bike dealer does.

Margaret

You are right Flyinfool this id not going to end well. If he is lucky he will get one H*LL of a scare, smarten up AND sell the bike. But I have a gut feeling its going to end in a crash with broken bones a totaled bike and even a lengthy hospital stay.:backinmyday:

I have ridden for years and still my wife won't get on the bike with me.:whistling: She doesn't feel safe with the XJ750K but she's willing to go on the VR when it's ready. I'm even a bit apprehensive about the VR when she's road ready. Haven't ridden anything that big. So I'll be riding solo for a while when she gets on the road!:backinmyday:

:mytruck1:

Just saying: there may be two problems here, one being the salesman and the other being the neighbour. I remember watching a customer assure a salesman that he could ride and when finally allowed to test ride a bike, he went down before he made it out of the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I watched a rider on his new FJR leave my Yamaha dealership...he dumped it twice before he was on the street. The owner said the guy had motorcycle endorsement and said he had ridden for years. Maybe 1.1 years but the end result was repair income to the dealer.

:farmer:

+1 on its not going to end well

The next 90 days will most likely tell the story.

Hopefully he has excellent health insurance.

He should also get accidental death and dismemberment.

As far as talking to the salesman... who knows what the neighbor told him...

A 250 cc is an excellent beginner bike for someone less than 130 lbs

A 650cc is an excellent beginner bike for someone less than 190 lbs

A 900cc is an excellent beginner bike for someone over 200 lbs.

IMHO

The Busa is a Liquid-cooled 1340cc Inline Four, 16-valves, 178hp, top speed limited to 184mph "but can easily be cured"

I cannot begin to imagine how much the insurance would be for that bike.... Crazy High HP, no MSF, No experince =:mo money:

Edited by CaptainJoe

+1 on its not going to end well

The next 90 days will most likely tell the story.

Hopefully he has excellent health insurance.

He should also get accidental death and dismemberment.

As far as talking to the salesman... who knows what the neighbor told him...

A 250 cc is an excellent beginner bike for someone less than 130 lbs

A 650cc is an excellent beginner bike for someone less than 190 lbs

A 900cc is an excellent beginner bike for someone over 200 lbs.

IMHO

The Busa is a Liquid-cooled 1340cc Inline Four, 16-valves, 178hp, top speed limited to 184mph "but can easily be cured"

I cannot begin to imagine how much the insurance would be for that bike.... Crazy High HP, no MSF, No experince =:mo money:

Neighbor is around 6'4" and 200lbs.

He does not even have a MC learners permit, (says he don't need one:doh::think:??????) he paid cash, may not have insurance either. I don't know if there is an insurance co that would even cover that combo.

He should have bought what I got as my first motorcycle - Suzuki M50 Boulevard, 800cc.

That was March of last year. I'm 6'7" and 220 lbs. I took the MSF course 2 weeks after purchasing my first bike.

I "upgraded" to my 07 Venture about 4 months ago.

I'm praying for your neighbor and thinking not very kind things of the salesman. I took the MSF class at age 44. Best thing I ever done. First bike for me was Vstar 1100. Very forgiving very easy bike to ride. I'm 6'3" 260.

Please keep us posted!

If he's a very good neighbor and a friend, I would try a little more on helping him see the err's of his thinking. If not, you can't fix stupid, you have given it your best attempt and if he's too pig headed to listen to an experienced rider, then let him do it on his own.

I know some may think this is rude of me to say, but I dont have a lot of patience with people that know it all these days. Hopefully he has good insurance and the life he could end up taking will be his own and not some innocent bystander.....:2cents:

If you do ride with him make sure you take a stick and a spoon, and let him know you have it-just in case. With his attitude and that bike they will need those two items to pick up enough to bury.

I'm sure you are right about no insurance, I cannot fathom any insurance company stupid enough to write an unlicensed rider for any premium.

This is the difficult side of personal freedom. If you're up to it, show him the clutch "slip zone" like the first day at MSF, maybe work countersteering into the conversation. In WI if you present a completed MSF certificate you get to bypass the DOT road test. That's a pretty big carrot that your neighbor might not know about. Other than that it's a personal choice. I have a friend that had a Hayabusa in his mid 20's he's still around so it might work out. BTW my friend did crash his doing about 40 into a curve but he still rides none the less. At least your neighbor has some crash protection and didn't get a brand "H" machine where your sunglasses are the only protection the lifestyle allows for many riders.

Luck!

-JK