IGNORED

Charities

Yammer Dan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand admin operating costs, even for charities. You just dont want to see it all burned up running the "company"/charity like a rue goldburg machine (sp) Someone has to do marketing, research for disease (if thats thier concern) etc. You just want to see your dollar spent wisely like you might.

I have friends that volunter for Red Cross, she runs food kitchens he does construction evaluation of structures. They went to NY for Sandy. The only hotel close was in NY City, cost was like $180 per night or something stupid like that. They were an hour from where they had to "work" but it was the closest hotel. Did the hotel give them a break because they were a 501c3? NOPE Oh and on top of that the hotel still wanted to charge another $80 a day for parking, thankfully the head parking guy just wrote it off.

I tell you this as sort of a reminder that just because they are a 501c3 (non-profit) they dont get things cheaper and have cost too. Can they do a better job of spending money? You bet let one of use that has to work for every dollar we make in there for a few months.

I am a member and funnel all my donations through the Order.

No one, I repeat, no one, gives more to help build communities than the Elks. Last year, Florida State Elks spent $6,000,000 enriching the lives of Florida's youth. Three million dollars funds our Children's Therapy Services. A fleet of 23 vans travels the entire state, providing 375 therapy sessions WEEKLY. Therapy includes physical, occupational and speech. These are in home visits at no cost to the recipient. A three million dollar budget also funds the Florida State Elks Youth Camp in Umatilla, FL. A 450 acre campus hosts over 3000 children each summer. Again, for the most part , at no cost to the recipient. If you can afford to pay, it's $180 for a sleepover week at camp. Installed this year was a 1.2 million dollar aquatic complex. You will not find a more respected camp in the country.

On a national level, again, no one awards more scholarship funds than the Elks. Last year we eclipsed the United States Government.

These are bold claims. Visit Elks.org and floridaelks.org

The Order is uniquely AMERICAN, with 2000 lodges spread about on US soil. There must be a lodge near you. Stop in and see what we're all about. Elks do a lot and have a lot of fun doing it. I'll step off my soapbox.

ps I almost forgot. We do it all with an 8% administrative cost.

The Elks is not exclusively American. The Elks, Lions, Legion and Moose operate here in Canada as well.

Actually, Canadians are Americans as are Mexicans and every country to the tip of South America. We should refer to ourselves as United Statesicans.

But in our arrogance, WE are the Americans if we are from the United States of America.

Good post Dan.

RandyA

Okay, I'm gonna throw one at y'all that is gonna be touchy. Don't reach for your rifle too quick when I throw this out there. Give it some time and think about it.

So, here it goes; If you think the financials of charities don't exactly balance out, and they kinda make you have a wierd "I wonder if this is going to the right place" feeling, ponder for a moment the financials of..............here it comes............churches.

Now, before y'all roll your eyes and label me a crazy athiest or something, do know that I am a God loving man who lives everyday totally thankful for what He has done in my life, and I do attend church regularly.

What charities receive in our nation each year is a speck of what churches receive. The business model is something only genious' could've thought of. The city I live in is filled with churches. My mother in law lives 3 miles from our house. One time a few years back I left her house to head home, and for some reason I decided to count how many churches there were between her house and ours. The count was 13! In 3 miles! All of them believing they are absolutely correct in what they doctorinately teach, and all of them bringing in money.

There is a church here in Little Rock that sits on I-40. It has about 3000 members. About 15 years ago they built a big huge complex with big marble columns, and all of the ornations of a reverenced temple you could think of. The cost was $25 million. about 8 years ago they cleared land right beside the huge church and built a complex that was identical to the first one, but it is twice the size and it costs $70 million. So, now they have two complexes sitting there that costs $100 million to build. All of this audacity is right across the freeway from one of the most impoverished neighborhoods in central Arkansas. I can't help but think how much help all of that money could've provided if that church would've financed a strong program for community enlightenment and rebirth in that area, instead of building themselves a shrine of their financial successes.

Anyways-Just another thought of where we send our money, and what it is REALLY used for.

The Elks is not exclusively American. The Elks, Lions, Legion and Moose operate here in Canada as well.

I am sorry, to be a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the United States of America there are three qualifications. You must be a United States citizen over the age of 21 and believe in God.

Lodges outside the boundaries of the fifty States do exist. They happen to be in Guam, Panama and Puerto Rico. United States Territories.

Everything I've stated in post #29 is a fact. Again, I suggest you visit: elks.org and my home state, floridaelks.org I am proud to be an Elk and have no need to embelish statements to make the Order appear anything more than it is.

Doubting the statements in post #29, I would also think you wouldn't believe the Elks built the first hospital for injured soldiers returning from WWI, Turning it over to the US Government, it was the kick start to the current day Department of Veteran Affairs healthcare system.

ps There are over 7,000,000 members in the BPOE of the USA. Are there no brother or sister Elks belonging to this forum?

Edited by gez
added ps

It's kind of like a thread you don't like or might be offended "then don't read it "

It's kind of like a TV show that you don't like or are offended by "then don't watch it"

If there is a charity you don't like or agree with "then don't contribute or volunteer"

but if the show,thread or charity is something you agree with then have at it. "what ever blows your skirt up"

I used to give to the United way thru payroll donations.

Then I found out that Several of the charities that were receiving my money were supporting lifestyles I never could with a clear conscience.

Same here until I found out that one day that this scum bucket renter I had that never

paid rent to me got a lawyer from united way to sue me for trying to kick them out.

and I was supporting that. NOT ANY MORE !

They lost the case anyway.

Then they decided to destroy my property and left .

and that's my 2 cents.

There are a lot of "charities" out there that are not valid and the money does not go to the intended. That is why I only have a very few organized charities that I support, St. Jude's Children's Hospital and The Leukemia & Lumphoma Society being the main ones. I don't get a tattoo for just any charity!:whistling:

The best charity is when we can give food, money and gifts directly to the needy, without the middle man!:thumbsup2:

The best charity is when we can give food, money and gifts directly to the needy, without the middle man!:thumbsup2:

Even that sometimes doesn't go where you want!

I have given pan handlers money "for food" just to watch them go straight to the liquor store.

Now if I want to give, I just offer to buy them a meal.

Ok, time to flip the coin. We all agree that a percentage of donations is used to run the organization. And someone gets rich. What about the percentage that actually goes to whom it is intended for? What about the kids that's receives treatment, blood, or other help for a roof over their head? Some people didn't chose to need help. Unlike others. I am thankful to be able to give. I own a motorcycle because I have extra and God allows me to have it. It's not a necessity for any of us. I'm not perfect and I will answer for my shortfalls and do what is right. They will answer for theirs. We are blessed. Nuff said. P

Well Said Skid! These Charities are alot like the medical insurance business that insists they need to pay these big salaries for the "best and brightest "to run their companies. That's such a line of baloney that I can't stand it anymore. But like you said skid what about these people that the charities actually help. When we don't who really gets hurt.

Maybe instead of not giving what we need to do is figure ways to regulate the pay to upper management of this so called Non profits.

This thing is taking off in too many directions. I started it because of Directors of some of these Organizations and the workers just looking for a easy buck. Their attitude sucks and the way they handle the money sucks!! I agree with a lot said here. Skids comment about what about those that do get help is probably the biggest one of them. I thought and thought about posting this before I did but it bugs me. Should have kept my fingers shut. What do I want? A world with no corruption? Maybe in the next one. My point is there in my head somewhere I just can't get it out. Moderators I won't be a bit upset if you close this one.

Yearly, Elks return $3.06 to community projects for every SINGLE dollar raised.

How can we do this? Over 100 years of donations has produced an endowment that now exceeds half a billion dollars.

Please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElksNationalFndn

Seek out the Elks Lodge in your hometown, we can use some help. We'd like to do more.

Elks Care, Elks Share

I'm done. You can "Believe it, or not"

Could say a lot. Won't.

I enjoy this site because I am a Venturerider whenever we are Stateside. The current thread has nothing to do with what we have in common and is offensive to some of us. I am disappointed the moderators have allowed it to go this far.

Guys, can we just ride along together and enjoy the food, the fun, and the ride? Ride with me and I promise neither I nor my church or even the 501©3 for whom I serve as treasurer will ask you for a single dime.

Respectfully

Lynn

For those of us\you, who would like to do away with this thread,,,,, I read all the posts and as a whole found it interesting. Yes, I know all about the 'overpaid' CEOs, mega churches, and the like, so I find it kind of difficult at times to decide on which charity to donate to. Maybe some of you have the same problem, and so don't give anymore,,, ya I can read between the lines,,,,,. This then becomes a problem not only for the receivers but also for the givers, since it is more pleasant to give than to receive, and we will be blessed for giving when we do.

Let's see if we can turn this thread around a bit, and share with each other some success stories of charities, and maybe, also tell others of good places to invest for our future, places that are there help the needy and not to fill pocket books.

Edited by Marcarl

For many years there has been discussion on having Oregon, Washington, B.C. and Alaska form one entity called "Oceana". This usually comes up about election time. It will never happen but it is an intriguing idea. If there are no Elks lodges in Canada I wonder what those lodges are with the big signs saying "Loyal order of Elks" ?

For many years there has been discussion on having Oregon, Washington, B.C. and Alaska form one entity called "Oceana". This usually comes up about election time. It will never happen but it is an intriguing idea. If there are no Elks lodges in Canada I wonder what those lodges are with the big signs saying "Loyal order of Elks" ?

They misspelled "Elves".:backinmyday:

:mytruck1: