IGNORED

The Blank Check

Squidley

The Blank Check....

Some of you know exactly what I mean when I say that. It wasn't me that coined the phrase, but I was one that signed that check in 1985. 6 1/2 years after that the check wasn't cashed, 22 years ago I received the check back.

Today I look back in reflection of the hundreds of thousands that signed that check and never received it back. Today, Memorial day 2013, I look back and I am very grateful and humbled that so many didn't get their checks back. Today is, for me personally, a hallowed day. A day where I thank all the fallen in my heart, and the ones who served before, with and after me. People like Herb Giles, Don Cumpston Keith Soleau, James Rich, Perry Kuhns, Owen Quartels, Dana Braquet, Gary Dinges, and many others to name here.

Thank you all for the sacrifices you made, for protecting our country, and for being my friends. To all the Warriors that have served, Past, Present and Future, and the countries that have stood by our side and died with us, Semper Fidelus and God Bless All of You.

AMS3 Brad Newby

Edited by Squidley

I myself was not allowed to join (flat feet in 75, them trying to get soldiers out, not in...), but I am also humbly proud of those who did get the chance to serve as my father was one of those foot soldiers in the winter of the Korean war. I just wish that the thought of continuing to serve the US through joining one of the patriotic groups (American Legion, DAV, etc) and those groups continuing to spread the patriotic diligence that they used to would continue to grow and be as popular as they once used to be.

I too appreciate deeply the profound sacrifice that those who did not get a chance to "get their check back" gave this country.

Yes, it's a valuable ability to stand and give our respect humbly to those that gave their full measure so that we could retain these freedoms and liberties.

http://www.bergall.org/holidays/memorial.jpg

I want to give thanks to my brothers and sisters that served for me. As I did not get drafted or volunteer to go, as sometimes I wonder why I didn't. But I have 3 brothers that volunteered. One who made a life long commitment. One was Navy, one Army and one Airforce.

I am very proud of all of them and all of you that serve.

:bighug:

Thanks again,

Hal

:cool10:

As a veteran I appreciate the accolades sometimes heaped on us that served.

However, to me Memorial Day is a day to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice while in the service of their country. A day to honor those that fell in defense of our country and Constitution. A day to express gratitude to those who died, so that we may live. The truest definition of Hero.

Thanks Brad, but as Annie said it's the same in Australia, as well as Canada, so we'll take it as an all around blessing to have those who serve around us and for us.

To go somewhat further,,,, as the boys and girls go out to militarily fight for freedom, for us and others, let us remember to support them with what we do here at home. Let us not let the freedom so passionately won, go unattended here at home. The biggest thanks we can give to our service people is to continue to closely guard our freedoms on our own soil. This is not their job, not the job of the government or the politicians, it's yours and mine. Let us continue to stand for what is right, let our voices be heard and let our actions not betray our words. This is not a one day thing, but a fight for life, we must not, can not, let it go.

And OH,, I know I might have started it, but let's not let this thread get to political or religious grandstanding.

Many of us signed a check of one sort or another in our lives. Today those of us that had them returned pause to thank those that had their's cashed. many of you remember fallen military. I myself remember my father, a WWII veteran. Along with all of those, I remember my fallen firefighter brethern and those of other public safety that hold the line here at home. Those who help others and put their lives on the line are a different breed.

J.B.

I tried several times to comment regarding this post and just couldn't bring my self to type out the words of times past and what this day; as well as all the other days, means to me. There are thoughts that have been in my mind for 43 years now and that will be on my mind the day I die. I can say I truly do honor those I served with and that were lost in Viet Nam.

Semper Fi

Herb

While I didn't serve due to my hearing loss I know I would of served if having given the chance and done so proudly like so many others here have done. I would of been another one of those Vietnam vets otherwise. Prayers to those who gave the ultimate price of serving as well as those who still are or may be in harms way.

Proud of all military branches serving our great countries.

Larry

I tried several times to comment regarding this post and just couldn't bring my self to type out the words of times past and what this day; as well as all the other days, means to me. There are thoughts that have been in my mind for 43 years now and that will be on my mind the day I die. I can say I truly do honor those I served with and that were lost in Viet Nam.

Semper Fi

Herb

Me too, my brother, me too...

Semper Fi

Herb

Herb:

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. After 47 years, I still can't talk about it and probably never will.

Jim

Thanks Brad for posting this page. I set around talking to my MARINE friends all the time.

Last night we had a discussion about the young men and women in today's military branches and how when we were in, we only had to do a 13 month tour and If you reuped, you may have had to go back and if you did it was more then likely in the rear with the gear. I know of several young MARINES who have done 2 tours in 4 years. One of the young Staff Sargent's I know has had 2 tours in Iraq and 2 tours in Afghanistan and there sending him back to Afghanistan again. I truly feel for these young men and women. The sad thing is it is all politics now by people (IMO) who have no military background what so ever and do not like the military. Like these young men and women I truly LOVE my COUNTRY & CORPS. I truly dislike our elected officials.

Thanks again for HONORING those who have served.......Ron