Run sea foam half can twice a season

Changed the plugs every season

Carb sync 2 times

Semi synthetic oil

Check the filters replace the filters as needed

Changed the fuel filter 3 times so far

Fuel pump 3 years old

I run metzler me 880

Now the 2000 venture I recently bought..

28,000 miles

Saturday was the first long day out riding about 300 miles

Fueled up one time fuel light was on for 15 miles --- 185 miles a little over 4.5 gallon

Same - tires,oil,plugs,

The thing I do notice is the venture is A little rough ridding in 5th gear than the RSTD

The same after a tire replacement

I know it's an OD gear mostly when I get around 70 mph I use 5th or on long flat runs

I would like some input on what I may do if anything to improve the range on the RSTD

Does anyone have input on the 5 th gear vib on the venture

Thanks guys

Thats sort of odd. I would think the TD would be better as it is a few hundred pounds lighter. I thought basicly the powerplants were exactly the same in the 2 bikes.

I have noticed a vibration also at say 60 in top gear. I just figured I was lugging it or something.

Same thing on my 99 RSV. A little funny at 70mph. Not bad but can tell it runs differently. 60 and 80 are no problem at all. As a matter of fact, at 80 it is so smooth, I am amazed. My last V powered bike (Vstar 1100) felt like it was going to fall apart after about 65 or 70. 80 and above was downright scary.

Don't forget, both 4th and 5th gear, is, Overdrive on these bikes !!

My 89 got about 40 mpg, cruzing on a freeway at 65 to 70 mph.

My 08 RSTD does about the same.

For local, and 2 lane roads, milage always dropped to about 36 to 38 mpg.

The best I have ever seen was 42 mpg, and that is only on 70 mph constant cruzing on a long trip, going South on I-5, at steady speeds.

Don't forget, if you are bucking a headwind, its going to have an effect, on milage.

Thats sort of odd. I would think the TD would be better as it is a few hundred pounds lighter. I thought basicly the powerplants were exactly the same in the 2 bikes.

I have noticed a vibration also at say 60 in top gear. I just figured I was lugging it or something.

Dry weight between the 2 bikes is only about 30 lbs. With my 08 RSTD I got betwen 42-46 depending how I drove it.

Joe

Hmm ok. I figured more weight difference. I may be a bit coo coo but I think the MPG is a bit better with the RK mufflers. Might be my imagination or just the trips I have checked the milage on. I usually figure 38. Long highway runs 40 maybe. But I use 38 to figure gas stops that way I'm sure to make it.

Dry weight between the 2 bikes is only about 30 lbs. With my 08 RSTD I got betwen 42-46 depending how I drove it.

Joe

My range is 38-42 MPG depending on how i drive. Diffence in bikes is minute. That many miles could indicate a small difference in jetting (cleaning needed), rough in 5th - a slight lean condition, hence better MPG.

I regularly get over 40 MPG. 70MPH on the interstate I'll get 44 MPG. At 85 it goes down to around 34 35 MPG.

I can't say that I have a vibration in 5th gear. My bike will run just fine from around 50 MPH and up in 5th gear. I can only say I think everything is right in the carburetors so it runs just fine.

BOO

The one thing that effects MPG more than anything else is wind resistance. Remember 'Resistence is Futile'... :) I don't care which bike your riding. Do 80mph in fifth gear and you'll loose 20% to 25% in engine effiency unless you have a 65mph tailwind. We've discussed this in the past, but maybe it's time to bring it up again. Fifth gear is fine for covering long distances at 75 in comfort, but don't expect to get max mpg on much over 65. Case in point. I own both 1st and 2ndGen's. With my '83 I used to get 36-38mpg around town. On my first trip of any distance, using the lower gears a lot thru the Sierras, I was surprised when I filled up to get 50mpg. I thought it was a fluke, but surprisingly others also experienced the mpg jump. Ever since, when traveling in a majority of twisties the same thing happened. 2nd-3rd-and 4th gear once in a while, engine braking into a curve and powering out, and 50mpg. On the flats 37-38. I didn't own a 2ndGen yet, but when I did buy one, the milage suffered when running on the slab, and when pulling a trailer to Cody I was lucky to get 25-26mpg. Damn!! But when I took a 160 mile ride without the trailer up to Shell Falls south east of Cody, we topped off at a station in Greybull. Up to the falls and back in twisties. Topped off again in Greybull and low and behold the bike pulled 40mpg. Same type of high mpg riding. 2nd-3rd, and 4th maybe.

I might also add that pulling I-80 thru the Sierras I ran in 4th gear, and 5th the rest of the way. No difference in fuel milage. It was strictly the trailer and the added wind resistence.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.... :backinmyday:

Barry youll find you will go off the "fuel" light and watch the odometer to start counting the miles when it hits the light. I find myself watching the gauge on a trip and then it seems like all of a sudden I need to be looking for gas as the light came on and I'm going "when did that happen?" My calculations youll need gas about exit 451 in Fl, exit 142 in Ga (Fort Valley Warner Robins area)

My friend, Reggie Brewer, told me he is using 93 octane in his Venture and gets great mileage.I use 87 (like most Royal riders) and my mileage not great, but my bike is tuned rich (instead of stock lean).

Last month we traveled from Greenville, SC towards home. We gassed up leaving Greenville, then again about 80 miles south (butt break).

Filling our two Venture tanks to same top off level, he got 45 MPG, I got 37 MPG.

So, he and I just did a 1650 mile run to MS to pick up WES0778's sidecar and a round about back. I decided to run 93 premium the whole trip, as did Reggie.

(I did start off using some Techron in the first tank. But I do that or Seafoam now and then.)

Anyhow, by the end of the trip I noticed I was getting a whole lot better range on the tank than I ever had.

My last two tanks got 45.9 MPG, mix of mountains and interstate, and 44.9 all interstate.

Now the irony,,, Reggie picked up the side car. He now gets mid 30's MPG!

I used 93 on my Roadstar years ago and got carboned up (sticky valve) so, this may not be right for most bikes that can use 87.

But, starting tomorrow, I will start filling my RSTD with premium and see where it goes.

Not looking to get blasted for saying 93 worked, it just did.

Mike G.

Im 6'4 weigh 270 running dunlops E3 with 41f and 40 rear. Running 4.5 each in front shocks and 45 in the rear shock with the oem windshield. Ive been getting pretty consistent 40 - 42 mpg. 30 miles to work each way 5 days a week 25 of the miles are highway and cruising at 73 - 75.

No (noticeable) mileage difference between my RSTD and RSV (now departed).

42mpg cruising 65mph, 1up, no trailer.

From Yamaha, the weights are:

RSTD Dry Weight: 787 lb

RSV Dry Weight: 807 lb

I have to believe there is more than a 20 lb difference, perhaps 50, but no more than that.

07 Venture - I'm 215lb (6'7"). I was carrying 60 lbs of bowling equipment down to Mobile, AL from Montgomery, AL. I averaged 75 to 80 mph. Averaged 40 mpg.

Around town, half highway and half stop and go, I average around 39 mpg. If I run it hard and hard accelleration, which I do sometimes just to show off my loud pipes, I will average around 36 mpg. I am meticulous about calculating my mileage at the gas station since it doesn't take too long to pump ~ 4 gallons of gas. Side note: I get lots of compliments about my bike and the color (royal blue and black) when filling up.

I have yet to take my girl on a long trip so I don't know how much that will affect my mileage. We are scheduled to take a trip to Destin July 4th weekend. We'll be loaded down with luggage so I will see worst case scenario.

I can get in the low 40's at interstate speeds if I stay out of it. Then if I get up at 80+ then I'm down in the low to mid 30's. Running two lane road at 55 to 60 best is at 44 or 45 mpg.

I can get in the low 40's at interstate speeds if I stay out of it. Then if I get up at 80+ then I'm down in the low to mid 30's. Running two lane road at 55 to 60 best is at 44 or 45 mpg.

Mirrors the performance of my 02 RSMV.

:farmer:

I filled up this morning with 93 octane. I went 192 miles on 4.746 gals. That comes out to a little over 40 mpg for combined city/hwy. My work is 28 miles from home but most of that is cruising about 60 down 2 lane road. Very relaxing in the afternoon.

My 02 RSV is also notably rough in 5th gear at 70 or lower, bit smoother as you go up, and it seems to enjoy going up as well.

You now know why many of us upgraded to the v-max differential gears. It improves performance and fuel mileage. Go figure. See Freebirds article in the tech section.

Mike