IGNORED

Just got a new Dell laptop

saddlebum

Ok so as the title states I swallowed a big pill and bought a new Dell laptop. The laptop is great but I sure wish It came with windows XP. Instead it came with windows eight and is driving me crazy :bang head:

This new windows program seems to have a mind of its own. Seems to do what it wants to do not what I want it to do and it is full of mysteries. For example When I clicked on the picture file I expected it to just show me some of the so called example pics. But some how it had a set of pics loaded in from when I went flying in a stearman biplane a few years ago. How in the heck did it do that I certainly did not load them on. I have only had this thing for two days and none but me has even touched it :think:

I think I am being spyied on:backinmyday:

I'm with you saddlebum! Phantom Wife bought me a Toshiba with windows 8 to replace my HP. WHAT a PAIN! Still on the HP as I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to use new one.She keeps threatening to keep it herself if I don't start using it.

I haven't done hands on W8 yet.

The jump from XP to W7 is not bad. I like W7 (Pro or Ultimate alows a XP-Mode window for stuff that can't make it past XP).

But W8 just looks like a toy for touch screens (or telephones) to me.

My first thoughts on W8 is "How does this apply to business computers?"

For anyone versed on W8, do they have a "Classic View" button to make it more "desktop"?

Businesses will continue to get W7 as they order direct from the OEM. Dell allowed business to skip Vista, whereas retail did not.

You've already bought W7, I guess retail. But going through Dell direct probably still allows W7 (with Optiplex and Latitude lines) for some time.

I think they will end up stacking W8 in the same corner as Melinium and Vista, when the next one comes out.

My two cents worth:

XP was and still is a fairly stable system and is still quite popular. Outdated and easily hacked.

Vista never gave me a problem but lots of others reported they had them.

Windows 7 was and still is extremely stable, hackable but to a somewhat less degree.

Windows 8 is (my opinion) Windows 7 with a much more refined update. It does have a learning curve but if you take the time it should be worth it. It boots up noticeably quicker. It also is hackable but slightly less so than Windows 7. All operating systems are hackable including Apple's and Linux variations. What makes them less of a hacking problem is that there are far less of them and far less users. Hackers want more bang for their efforts. Rather like us riders/bikes with our machines.

Their are a couple of downloads that you can get and apply that will make the Windows 8 appear more like the Windows XP or Windows 7 desktop. That is they will "bring back" the START button and the appearance of the earlier OS's.

These links may be what you need to bring back the old XP/Win7 look to your computer.

Please note that the Start 8 program has a $5 price. Each of them allows various customizations that you can choose.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Nice Ben! I have thought about eventually replacing my Toshiba laptop that still runs XP that is in the garage but it still runs great thanks to Wizard765! No rush for me as I have the HP desktop running 7 and the Acer netbook running 7 as well. I figured I would let 8 be around for a couple of years to let them work all the bugs out before upgrading...

I called Dell tech support at 2 am this morning and spend about 2 hours online and on the phone with them and I think I'm even more confused now than before. I tried to remember how to do some of the things that he showed me and just got stuck deeper in. He even put a website for Windows on my favorites tab, that was supposed to help me understand window 8 better but now I did something that won:t let me find that back. I lost it and can't figure out how to get back to the favorites tab.

Edited by saddlebum

Their are a couple of downloads that you can get and apply that will make the Windows 8 appear more like the Windows XP or Windows 7 desktop. That is they will "bring back" the START button and the appearance of the earlier OS's.

These links may be what you need to bring back the old XP/Win7 look to your computer.

Please note that the Start 8 program has a $5 price. Each of them allows various customizations that you can choose.

SO,,,,,, there you go. Al, yep, just what I was asking. So, 3rd party programs to give the "classic" windows view of your desktop.

I see the first one also addresses W7 (to give a more XP touch).

Nice, Thanks, Mike G.

My two cents worth:

XP was and still is a fairly stable system and is still quite popular. Outdated and easily hacked.

Vista never gave me a problem but lots of others reported they had them.

Windows 7 was and still is extremely stable, hackable but to a somewhat less degree.

Windows 8 is (my opinion) Windows 7 with a much more refined update. It does have a learning curve but if you take the time it should be worth it. It boots up noticeably quicker. It also is hackable but slightly less so than Windows 7. All operating systems are hackable including Apple's and Linux variations. What makes them less of a hacking problem is that there are far less of them and far less users. Hackers want more bang for their efforts. Rather like us riders/bikes with our machines.

Thanks Mike I'll check it out, Hopefully it won't turn the grey matter between my ears into more mush than it already is.

I've been on Windows 8 with a new desktop since early December. Its taken about 2 months to get used to it, but now I'm ok with it. However, I decided to leave my netbook at Win 7.

I don't think there is much in Windows that I would classify as intuitive or user friendly though. And certainly not logical.

I've been on Windows 8 with a new desktop since early December. Its taken about 2 months to get used to it, but now I'm ok with it. However, I decided to leave my netbook at Win 7.

I don't think there is much in Windows that I would classify as intuitive or user friendly though. And certainly not logical.

I am inclined to agree.I don't like that everything seems to have to be slid, floated or faded around. Simply just being able to click stuff off and on like before was just fine.It might be OK if it was used with a touch screen but I like positive touch and click type systems.

I feel your pain, kind of like a new wife, you will get used to her and learn your way around her. In the future you will say the same thing when you go from 8 to windows 12. I read about some new tech that has a camera looking at the users eyes and moves the curser where you want it, moves text as you read it . . . Expensive now but you wait a few years and it will be integrated into the os.

A few months ago I had to build a new computer. Lost the motherboard in the old one. Went with dual boot Linux and Windoze 8. I say give Windoze 8 a chance. Yes it will take a learning curve but is supports 64bit up to something crazy like 256GB of memory (I'm running 64GB now). It's fast and I've never had it crash yet. There are a few older programs that I couldn't get to run but they were old and now is as good as ever to upgrade them. What surprised me was the free programs (mini apps) available.

If you have Windoze 7 I seen no need to go to 8. So, the more I use Windoze 8 the more I'm liking it. But to be honest the first few days was NOT fun and I did take the tutorials to figure out how to move around.

Bought my son a new laptop for Christmas, it has windows 8. When I asked him if he liked it and if I would, the first thing he said was that "Dad you'll get frustrated learning how to use it" so I'm sticking with 7 But he says it's much much better and EASIER to use . But he's 22 and in college and uses a lot more programs than probably any one of you or definetley, me, would ever dream of,:rotf::rotf::rotf:and I'm to old for that "read the instructions" thing :rotf::rotf::rotf: It's like video games if it doesn't ,shoot drive or fly I can't play it!!!!!!!!

Ok so as the title states I swallowed a big pill and bought a new Dell laptop. The laptop is great but I sure wish It came with windows XP. Instead it came with windows eight and is driving me crazy :bang head:

This new windows program seems to have a mind of its own. Seems to do what it wants to do not what I want it to do and it is full of mysteries. For example When I clicked on the picture file I expected it to just show me some of the so called example pics. But some how it had a set of pics loaded in from when I went flying in a stearman biplane a few years ago. How in the heck did it do that I certainly did not load them on. I have only had this thing for two days and none but me has even touched it :think:

No, you 're seing this on the wrong side....

You 're NOT WANT to do what the machine WANTS to DO...

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

after 12 years my trusty Sony Vaio died so I replaced it yesterday, so far my opinion of windows eight is it might be an ok phone os it sure is lacking in user configurability. Might get better later but frustrating is best I can say for it. I don't want a bunch of xbox subscription serveces, or Apps, I just want programs I can just run

Al

:crying:

ever since I got my first ipod, and tried loading my wma files to the ipod and it arbitrarily converted them to the imf format or whatever it was, but that format is incompatable with everything else I have. Didn't even ask me it just went ahead and did it.

I still think the old Atari ST had the best operating system, guess that alone says something about me

Al

I am waiting until they scrap that operating system. It was designed for tablets. Alot of IT personel have tested it, nobody likes it. Plus they took the "windows" out of windows. Only one window brouser open at a time. I will keep my Vista Ultimate, which I personally like and never had an issue with but would like a new machine with more power to run Cimatron for my design work.