IGNORED

Battling the flue or something

Freebird

Last week I spent 4 days in Cannon Falls, MN at our semi annual sales meeting. We arrived there to the news that the flu was running rampant through our sales office. During the week that we were there, more than 25 people had called in sick.

Couple that with us all being in meeting rooms and sharing vans going to dinner and etc. for 5 days and you KNOW it's going to spread.

I got a flu shot several weeks ago but whatever they had is just kicking the crap out of my flu shot. I got home on Friday night and by Saturday was starting to feel the first symptoms. By Monday morning, I was pretty much staying in bed. I THINK I'm starting to feel a bit better today but am not sure because I always have moments during the day when I THINK I am feeling better. We'll see.

I hope that all of you are faring better and avoiding this nasty bug. I really don't feel like I have the full blown flu. Maybe the shot is actually helping and what I feel is a major war going on inside my body between the vaccine and the flue. If that is the case, I wish that one or the other would win and get it over with.

I'm staying away from everybody,,,, not even getting close,,, hope this is all over by MD, or the pond will see a few more monsters I'm sure.

Hope you feel better SOON boss,,,, take the time to rest up and give the body time & space to fight what's ailing ya.

The flu vaccine is not effective against all varieties of influenza, only a few. They take a wild guess as to which strains they think will be most common and then build the vaccine to target those few strains. You're still susceptible to any other variety that happens to come around.

That is one of the reasons that many people feel that the shots don't work. They just cannot protect against all of the different strains known to man with just one vaccination.

Joe

Yes, flu shot is a best guess at the three anticipated most common strains of flu. We got our shots last fall and have traveled all over in planes and cruise ships, and so far so good. I try to wash frequently, stay warm and eat citrus fruit. Hope our luck continues.

They seemed to have been off the mark a bit this year. From what I've heard on the news, it has only been about 60% effective this season.

:sick: I think you need some Black Death my friend ! Want me to send some over ?

That stuff will kill just about anything :cool10:

This was my third year for getting the flu shot, and third year for not getting (so far this year at least) a serious case of the flu. I also heard that the shot is only about 60% effective this year, but I will take those odds any day! :cool10:

Oh and I have never felt like I got sick off the shot. A tiny sniffle the first two years, and only a slightly sore arm for a day this year. Basically nothing and I am glad I got the shot.

I have to get the flu shot every year and update the pneumonia shot every 5 yrs, as an asthmatic the flu or pneumonia could send me to the hospital. When Mike and I started dating he did the noble thing and got the flu shot so my oldest daughter and I wouldn't get sick, however every time he got the shot the entire house got sick with the flu. We've learned that to protect the household from the flu, I get the shot, he doesn't, and the first sign of sniffles with him, load him up on vitamin C and echinacea. It seems to work, neither of us have had the flu since 2011 when the roommate we had brought it home from a trip to Maine in May. Before that it had been several yrs since an outbreak. This works even when the employees at Radioshack get it. The store has already had one outbreak last month, Mike was the only one to not get sick. Had to threaten the manager to take some meds because if I got sick from his stubbornness, he'd have an unhappy redhead to deal with....it worked lol. He refused his own wife's attempts, but behaved from my threats.

My Daughter has been very sick since Sunday, yesterday the Doctors office called me and said to go out and get this stuff called Emergen-C. It's 1000Mg of Vitamin C in a powder you stir in water, and to also drink G2 thirst Quencher (not Gatorade). They said this Emergen-C stuff seems to be helping people get better quicker. Hope you feel better soon.

Flu isn't the only thing to worry about they also have a nasty norovirus going through at the same time. What most of us would refer to as the stomach flu. Plus whooping cough who knew?

Hope you feel better boss and everyone else. I missed my flu shot this year and I have Jeff home still so I wipe everything down when we go out shopping. Don't need him sick on top of his foot.

Margaret

I got my whooping cough vaccine updated in Sept. Most people presume the vaccine is only a childhood vaccine, not so. You must keep that one updated every 10 years. My vet threatened me with the shot in 2002 after my kitten attacked me in the waiting room. That's when I learned anyone who has cats and dogs, especially outside ones, you can get tetanus from them.

Fox News on Sunday the doctors said evidence showed that three natural flu remedies were more effective than any otc products , Elderberry tea, ginseng tea, Andrographis and drinking a lot of water reduce flu symptoms. Frequent hand washing #1 way to prevent exposure.

I can tell you I have looked and only find the ginseng tea.

I can tell your down with it because you even mis-spelled it....... :rotf:

Battling the flue

Sure hope you get over whatever it is and feel all better soon bud...:thumbsup2:

HEY....I DID spell it correctly in the text of the message. :) What can I say....I'm WEAK and DELIRIOUS.

I rarely get sick, in the past 10 years I can count them on 1 hand. This year I have been sick 3 times, for almost 2 months strait through November and December. It has been a very bad year for all sorts of nasty stuff. Pharyngitis, Strep Throat, and upper respiratory have been the 3 thing that got me this season so far

:(

Hope you feel better soon my friend :)

We hope you feel better soon Don. :bighug:

Everyone needs to update there whooping cough. I got adult whooping cough 3 years ago, and it nearly did me in!! I have been left with a terrible cough.

Australian Influenza has been paying a visit to the states, they say a bad strain is back here :yikes: Passed back and forth by people traveling [planes, ship etc]

I rarely get sick, in the past 10 years I can count them on 1 hand. This year I have been sick 3 times, for almost 2 months strait through November and December. It has been a very bad year for all sorts of nasty stuff. Pharyngitis, Strep Throat, and upper respiratory have been the 3 thing that got me this season so far

:(

Hope you feel better soon my friend :)

TEXAS!!