IGNORED

Indian Cycles

TDbiker

Interesting article about Polaris' attempt to revive Indian motorcycles. I wish them the best, as it's always unfortunate to see any manufacturer go under.

I found it interesting that, according to definition, our RSV's & RSTD's don't fit in the 'heavyweight' motorcycle classification. I think my RSTD is plenty heavy...:rotf:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/01/02/polaris-rides-atv-and-snowmobile-success-in-bid-to-revive-indian-motorcycles/

Glenn

I like the idea that a couple of companies have tried to keep Indian alive. But last article I saw they were going to produce like 4 models of wich I didnt see really any difference besides bags on/bags off. I get the "retro" style theme but it just dont do anything for me. I wish them goo dluck with the venture but you dont see alot of Vics on the road and I cant tell you the last time I seen a Indian.

In our local Indian dealership, Victory has been on the showroom floor for a while with Victory signs on the building. It will be interesting to see the new indians.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That's the one down on I-85 isn't it? Everytime I go by there I keep saying I am going to stop and haven't yet.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

I think they may well survive. Remember, they are owned by Polaris/Victory now. Deep pockets there. I agree that they were way overpriced but they are being totally redesigned now and supposedly a totally new line coming out in late 2013. They will still be a premium priced bike but more in line with the prices of Harley and not $30,000.00 plus that they were before.

I think it will be interesting but I believe they will appeal most to nostaligia buff wanna be's and that element of individuals who will buy them simply because no one else currantly has one. After that the well of buyers will dry up and it will have to depend on performance, ridability, reliability and affordability.

I like the idea that a couple of companies have tried to keep Indian alive. But last article I saw they were going to produce like 4 models of wich I didnt see really any difference besides bags on/bags off. I get the "retro" style theme but it just dont do anything for me. I wish them goo dluck with the venture but you dont see alot of Vics on the road and I cant tell you the last time I seen a Indian.

I agree with you that their current style doesn't do a thing for me, at pretty much any price. It'll be interesting to see what the new line-up looks like. As for Victory's, I actually see quite a few of them on the road (nothing like HD, however), but maybe that's because I'm pretty much in their backyard. A few co-workers have them and love them. And on any given weekend during the summer I'll see dozens of them riding the Great River Road (Wisconsin Hwy 35) along the Mississippi. They seem to travel in packs...

I too see a lot more Victorys on the road. I like their V-twin, lotsa power right there with ours, ease of servicing, smooth power delivery, six speed, fuel injection, runs cool (temp). I would like to see a cross breed between that Vision and an Indian. Would you call it a futuristic-throwback??:banana:

Indians look so awesome. I had the pleasure of riding one in New York. However I just started with riding so I had nothing to compare. They had some at a dealer at Daytona during biketoberfest. I don't wanna say they were expensive. So I will say they are a tad up there...:sick:

:bawling:

:mo money::mo money:

I do see more Victory's now than say 5 yr ago. I think alot of that has to do with them standing behind thier stuff with a 5yr warrenty and the "other" motor company wasnt. Service is still kind of thin but heck with the reliability I have talked to guys about you need'nt worry about that to much. I thought I read they were going to use the Vic motor to help with reliability and cost cutting. It would make sense. I know a fellow that has an Indian from oh say 5-6yr ago not sure how long. But about every 40k he has to do a valve job and put guides in it. I want no part of something like that. I think to sell them they will have to be under 20k for sure.

Been riding since the early 60's and must admit I love all bikes, quite frankly, if it has two wheels it has my attention.. The Indian brand has always held a special place in my heart. Its an emotional thing and I think if Polaris plays its cards right in that "emotional zone" it could have a real money maker.

HD has built a HUGE following on the idea of them being the last of America's great motorcycling heritage and they DO build some gorgeous bikes. A lot of their following comes in the form of nostelga, nostelga sells.. It seems that HD learned a hard lesson about how important nostelga is, look what happened when they got away from their roots in their venture with Buell and their attempt with the v-rod. This is also why their bikes are still air cooled, if they change that they will loose market and they know it.. I also have a hunch that some HD riders dont realize how much of their bike is composed of foreign parts.

I think if Polaris would return Indian to a flathead design motor like they were originally it would fly. Along with plunger style rear suspention, and girder front end,, A real deal bike of yesteryear using modern machinging and metals and technology.. And of course, the pricing would have to be reasonable too..

I also think if they kept the bike entirely "made in the USA", and I mean every piece on it, they could have bragging rights to the ONLY real American made bike and that would give them another edge over HD..

If nothing else, we the consumer are getting another choice in biking,, that alone is exciting in my book.. Cant ever have to many options in my book. I too wish them the best!!

I was talking to my Yamaha dealer in Louisville a few weeks ago, he's a Polaris/Victory dealer too. He said that Polaris has some pretty exciting plans for Indian, but he said in his opinion it depends on what they do in the engine department. He also thinks it needs to be a departure from what they have now. I think it definitely need to be a pushrod motor, if they stick a Vic motor in it they're dead, again. A friend of mine bought a new Chief back in '04 I think, and she had some problems with the trans, and the motor was kinda noisy. Didn't they use the Power-Plus back then?

I also think if they kept the bike entirely "made in the USA", and I mean every piece on it, they could have bragging rights to the ONLY real American made bike and that would give them another edge over HD..

If nothing else, we the consumer are getting another choice in biking,, that alone is exciting in my book.. Cant ever have to many options in my book. I too wish them the best!!

If it is entirely made in the USA, it won't be 20K. The only way to keep the cost down is to use foreign parts.

If it is entirely made in the USA, it won't be 20K. The only way to keep the cost down is to use foreign parts.

I am inclined to agree with you. The use of foreign parts is the answer to keeping costs down. I too would like to see the Indian motorcycle make a lasting return. Some nostalgia is good, but if the bike rides and handles like an antique, it still won't gain much market share. They need to build reliability and long life expectancy into the entire bike. I'm sure all of us Venture owners have to agree we love the comfort and ride of our bikes, and if Indian can give some of the same at an affordable price, they will certainly gain some diehard admirers.

Maybe it's just me, but if they brought out a true classic...

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3329&d=1194515514

Not overly complex, reliable and sooo sweet to the eye.

Then I would darned well get one !!!!!

Mike

Thats what I am talking about Mike!! Why not go full out with something no body else has.. I honestly think it would work!! THAT is a gorgeous work of art..

According to articles that I've read and their website, they are not using any Victory parts on the new Indian and they say that they have designed and built an entirely new engine for it. They are keeping it all pretty secret but have sound clips on their site.