IGNORED

windows 8

Gary N.

I bought a new desktop 2 weeks ago that came with a free upgrade to Windows 8. I've downloaded it onto a USB key and intend to try it.

I wanted to move an image copy of Win 7 to a solid state disk I bought with the system and have installed already. But am having problems restoring the Win 7 system image to the ssd. Will try again after a day or two break.

btw. Win 8 does not come with a free media player any more. But until year end you can download a free license key for the new media player.

$$$$

Let me know how you like 8 ?

I D/L'd the preview version, installed it (USB drive) onto a netbook with 1gb of ram. It worked great. Quick and no probs for me except the learning curve of trying to use an OS intended for a touchscreen on a PC with a mouse input. When it was fully released I D/L'd it and installed it on my desktop. Once you learn how to use it with a mouse as your input method it is not that bad. Faster boot times, and I like the apps that you can get free or low cost (most of them anyway). I still like my iPad2, and I will plan on getting a touchscreen monitor. I have no plans to install it on my wife's desktop. She's confused enough already :whistling:

But the bottom line as I see it, if your current OS is providing all the features you need or want, I really see no compelling reason to move to Windows 8.

Apparently Microsoft has removed ability to play DVD's unless you run W8 Pro or have added the Media Package, both of which cost extra.

You could try adding media player 'VLC' which is now fully compatible with W8 .. and it's free. Used it for years fault free on previous window systems.

Moved mine over to 8 the first day, didn't care for it at first, but I work from desktop mode mostly and got used to it. with no start button in win8 get a shareware program called Start8 by Stardock, cost $5, 30 day free trail. Have had it 2 weeks now going to pay for it today. Gives you most of what the old start button did. Can shutdown the old way with it, I was waiting for this thread to get started, lets share anything you can learn on 8 with others. I did a search on win8 tips + tricks to get some more knowledge.

I get tired of having to learn new Os's every couple of years. You know XP works pretty good. I really don't see anything new in these new OS's from MS other than they just hide or move things and call it a new os to generate income.:bang head:

Yeah that!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

The Media Center license keys are free until Jan 31,2013 at this link.

RE: Win 8 on a 1GB memory netbook. The Microsoft Win 8 Specs say a minimum of 2GB memory is required. Good to hear that isn't so.

The downloaded upgrade will be Win 8 Pro. I saved mine to a 4GB USB stick. And hopefully won't have to download for the other PC's

Guest tx2sturgis

For those who find the entire "upgrade-free-but-pay-to-stay" windows philosophy distasteful, try Linux on those computers that are a few years old.

Its free or nearly free, with so many flavors of Linux out there, you can surely find something you like.

Those who MUST stay with windows for work or other reasons are excused. But for the average home user, who mainly surfs the web, does email, listens to music, watches youtube, etc, Linux works great...and it DOES NOT GET VIRUSES.

Here are couple that I like:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.linuxmint.com/

That is all. :innocent:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Gary,

Todays news might be of interest to your concerns.

Hope it helps you.

Eck

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57546387-292/windows-8-users-now-getting-how-to-e-mails-from-microsoft/

Thanks Eck, but remember who you're talking too. My favourite electronic device is the electronic ignition in my '49 pickup.

I'm learning this thing very slowly but I'm sure I'll never get the full benefit out of it. If my old computer wouldn't have died on me I'd been happy to never replace it. Having said that, I sure do like the speed of this new one.

For those who find the entire "upgrade-free-but-pay-to-stay" windows philosophy distasteful, try Linux on those computers that are a few years old.

Its free or nearly free, with so many flavors of Linux out there, you can surely find something you like.

Those who MUST stay with windows for work or other reasons are excused. But for the average home user, who mainly surfs the web, does email, listens to music, watches youtube, etc, Linux works great...and it DOES NOT GET VIRUSES.

Here are couple that I like:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.linuxmint.com/

That is all. :innocent:

Your linux suggestions got me looking at it again, been a while since I fooled around linux, many years ago ran a couple desktops hooked together using linux (SUSE) , got away from it when I finally junked the desktops due to being obsolete, at the time had a MAC & PC I had to use that was work related and trying to keep up with everything was too time consuming. So the last couple days I spent a few min researching current linux status, couldn't belive all the new distributions. Just to try some out I created a ubuntu boot USB stick for my netbook that I take on MC trips sometimes, for my laptop I created a bootable linux mint (Maya) CD. Both just took a few min each and both running great. Might try a few other distros, have a lot more time now that I'm retired. See which one I like best and then ditch WIN. (writing this post using mint :))

So far everything working great and FREE..

Just to try some out I created a ubuntu boot USB stick for my netbook that I take on MC trips sometimes, for my laptop I created a bootable linux mint (Maya) CD. ..

Great idea. I may just copy that. I fooled around with unix at a place I worked at once upon a time, but never became proficient at it.

Guest tx2sturgis
Might try a few other distros, have a lot more time now that I'm retired. See which one I like best and then ditch WIN. (writing this post using mint :))

So far everything working great and FREE..

Great!

I love it when someone comes to the 'dark side'! :happy34:

Hey seriously, look for the versions that offer 'LTS': long term support.

I have tried several versions of linux, and the two I listed are my favorites. But Zorin is also kinda cool, it can mimic windows 7! It comes with Wine, the Windows compatibility layer.

Zorin is a 'tweener' OS...its in between Windows and Linux...all the advantages under the hood that Linux has to offer, but the 'body-work' and 'window-dressing' looks and works a lot like Windows 7, so its easy to figure out for the windows person. Of course, it tends to require a recent piece of hardware to install it on. www.zorin-os/com

Zorin has a free version called 'core' and then it also offers some upgraded packages that do cost a small amount...I think its around $10 or so for a 'physical disc', less if you download it.

Ubuntu 12.04 is what I'm running now on this Zotac desktop, and I run Mint 13 on my HP Ultrabook. ( I wiped windows 7 off the SSD.)

My Acer netbook is setup to dual-boot Mint or Ubuntu, whichever I want to use, based on who I'm demo-ing Linux to.

The more you use linux, the better it seems to work. The software stores offer over 36,000 programs, depending on the distro you end up with, and most all of it is free.

If you end up not liking it, your not out any money, other than a couple of discs that you burned.

The 'test-drive' using the live CD or DVD will be limited and a bit slower, due to the OS running off of an optical disc, but once you install linux to the hard drive it runs quite fast and smooth.

AND NO VIRUSES! :happy34:

Enjoy.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
Great idea. I may just copy that. I fooled around with unix at a place I worked at once upon a time, but never became proficient at it.

Learning a new OS takes time, and energy, and an open mind. So its certainly not for everyone.

But, in the long term it is worth it.

When all the news media is covering the latest Windows malware, viruses, and security breaches, you can sit back and relax.

When you read all the articles on this forum about how a members Windows computer crashed after visiting a bad website, or the registry needs 'cleaning'...you wont have to worry about such things.

When Microsoft announces the newest OS, and its ONLY $100 or $150..you can save your money for new 'safety chrome' for your bike.

When you see ads for Windows security programs (extortion) that cost $59 a year per user....you can put your credit card back in your wallet.

Linux is a mature, safe, easy to learn OS...and it at least deserves a test drive if you have ever spent time or money trying to get Windows fixed on your computer.

:happy34:

mint 14 was just released today, downloaded both mate & cinnamon to try, (still running from a boot CD realizing its slower) heck, I even opened up a terminal window just for old times sakes, haven't used a unix/dos command line in some time.