IGNORED

Post Retirement September Trip To Mt. Rushmore

bongobobny

Well, it's drawing closerso it's time to make plans! On Wednesday Sep 6th we are saddling up and heading for Mt. Rushmore on the trike! First stop Wednesday night is the suburban Detroit area to visit with my sister in Bloomfield Hills. We are also planning on hooking up with Ragtop69GS for a brief time and hopefully any of you Michigan people wanting to meet up lets make plans. Our goal is to get to SW Michigan by Thursday evening. By Friday be almost across Wisconsin, Saturday across into South Dakota, and actually be in the Mt Rushmore area by Monday. Our timetable is very flexable! Our primary route is Interstate 90 west of Chicago going out, and Interstate 80 on the way back.

We want to meet up with Ventureriders along the route!! It was a great thing to do this last winter when we went to Florida, and are looking forward to meeting more people face to face!! So if you are along our route, let us know and we will try to meet up for coffee, a meal, or whatever!! Being retired we have no real timetable but want to get back in 2 weeks or so, a week out and a week back...:7_2_104[1]:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get to the bottom of lake Michigan you could hang a right and follow I94 which will join up with I90 again at Madison. That will take you thru Milwaukee where you can hit the Harley Davidson Museum. And I'll spring for Ice cream If you are around here late enough for me to escape work.

If you cant be here that late then at least wave as you go by.....:bikersmilie:

Larry, sounds like we need to organize a Wednesday evening dinner somewhere, we would love to meet up with you and Joyce. If Wed doesn't work out, Thursday lunch may work.

Jeff, I will give that some serious consideration, but we want Rum Balls!!!

If your sister won't have you , We certainly will ! Looking forward to seeing y'all. Seems a Venison/Beef BBQ is in order, maybe a little Sailor to wash it down :whistling: ( Yes Larry... you and Joyce too ;) ) Lots of good riding once you get there but getting there is a rather boring ride, lots of straight roads once past Chicago. Bob, there's lots to see and do once in the Rushmore area, you may want to take 2-3 days around there. Devils Tower, Custer St. Park has Needles Hwy. , Sturgis. I know there's some I'm forgetting.

If you are taking 90 you will be going threw our neck of the woods we could meet you in Lacrosse or Onalaska. and if you want a place to camp for the night you could just hop on hwy14 to Viroqua 2 1/2 hour ride to our place from Madison to Viroqua and then take hwy 14 from Viroqua up to Lacrosse 1 hour and back on 90. It would you a chance to see some of Wisconsin hill country.

Orlin and Sharon

That is a great plan Bob. I am so happy for you that you finally get to retire. I hope you and Becky have a lot of fun in the Black Hills. Maybe go check out the Badlands too. It is one of my favorite places in the country. Oh and ride safe too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70508&stc=1&d=1344515830

Yama Mama:ice_awesome-vi46644

bongobobny,

If you let us know when you get to Eastern SD, we can meet up for coffee, or whatever. Here in Madison, we have the world's best DQ!!!!!

What route are you planning to take? My number is in my profile.

Stay safe,

Dave

Carlos, How do you like the new pipes? Did you get the rest on after I left ?

My ears still are a little bumping due to the old Road Kings, but now it sounds as a Yamaha again...

And they're a little more noisy due to the holes at the end...

And yes, everything is on it finally!!!! And we raised about 1 inch, since the front forks had no pressure at all.

Are you sure you don't want the pipes? You can pay that at any time. I have no rush..

OK so it's starting to sound like we may take Jeff's offer of the RV for the nite or a hotel room close by. Boo, it would be great to see you and Jane if she comes up with you!! That would probably be Friday night! Wednesday night will be for the Michigan crowd and Thursday we will spend with my sister and try to make it to the other side of MI by Thursday nite. Orlin, maybe we could meet up Saturday afternoon, would like to make it to Minnesota Saturday nite, maybe spend part of the day at the Mall of the Americas, so Bubber maybe we could meet up Sunday...

So far this is sounding like a great trip!! Dave, sounds like either Sunday nite or Monday some time!

Bob, when you get closer and get things finalized as to when you hit SD, let me know. I-90 is clear on the southern side of the state and quite a drive for me. But if I know when you are coming for sure, I might make it work. Heck its only about 250 miles south for me to hook up with you guys.......

OK so far things are starting to shape up quite well!! Sounds like quite the M&E for the Detroit area Wednesday night!! Thursday I am spending time with my sister during the AM/Afternoon and only expect to make it across the state by evening. Now Friday, however, is turning into a great time!!! We will be staying in an RV at Flying Fool's (Jeff Borkowski) place and having a grand old time!!! Saturday calls for us to try to make it the Minn/St Paul area so we can shop at the Mall of the Americas just to say we did! I'm hoping I can twist Bubber's arm to come on down and visit! We pretty much plan on spending the whole day there, may travel a couple of hours towards the Dakoda's but not far.

We want to reach the Mt Rushmore area Monday evening. We plan on spending 3 whole days in the area before heading back. Plan on taking Interstate 80 for the most part. Have a school friend in northern Ill I want to hook up with on the way. Want to spend some time with the Ohio people if possible, or, maybe, just maybe try to get to RiderDuke's M&E in VA but it';s a long shot!!

Guest tx2sturgis

While visiting the four presidents, be sure to go inside the visitors center. Its about $11, I think for a bike, the permit is good till the end of the year.

DO NOT visit that area without riding down Iron Mountain Road, thru Custer State Park, and then hit the Needles Highway. If you want to see some buffalo, ask the attendants at the paygate, the big creatures are usually on the wildlife loop. Its best to see Mt Rushmore in the morning, when the sun has it illuminated fully. This will allow time to enjoy those two scenic roads and then ride up to Deadwood SD...

I highly recommend stopping in Deadwood to visit Saloon #10...and try the restaurant on the second floor of this historic old-west saloon. The salmon dinner is ESPECIALLY delicious!

If you have the time, its worth a trip thru Speafish Canyon also...very scenic...the passenger will ESPECIALLY enjoy the view.

Have fun!

While visiting the four presidents, be sure to go inside the visitors center. Its about $11, I think for a bike, the permit is good till the end of the year.

DO NOT visit that area without riding down Iron Mountain Road, thru Custer State Park, and then hit the Needles Highway. If you want to see some buffalo, ask the attendants at the paygate, the big creatures are usually on the wildlife loop. Its best to see Mt Rushmore in the morning, when the sun has it illuminated fully. This will allow time to enjoy those two scenic roads and then ride up to Deadwood SD...

I highly recommend stopping in Deadwood to visit Saloon #10...and try the restaurant on the second floor of this historic old-west saloon. The salmon dinner is ESPECIALLY delicious!

If you have the time, its worth a trip thru Speafish Canyon also...very scenic...the passenger will ESPECIALLY enjoy the view.

Have fun!

What he said...........:goodpost: