IGNORED

Post Retirement September Trip To Mt. Rushmore

bongobobny

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yesterday I did a whoops and ended up taking I90 thru Chicago. Made it out alive so all is good. Met up with Boo and Hoo and we went ove3r to Flying Fool's place. Had a wonderful time socializing and an excellent pizza dinner. Also got to sample Jeff's famous rum balls and all I can say is YUMMM!!!

Off to Mall of America for 2 days. Forgot to take pictures except of driving thru Chicago...

Well, here it is Monday already!! We shopped til we dropped yesterday. All I bought was a hat, Becky came home with 4 bagfulls!

When we got here it was very windy!!! When I opened the back door the wind took away my retirement baloon and was last seen south of the Mall of America heading towards Iowa!! It was sad to see it go, I really appreciated the Michigan crowd for buying it for me. Luckily I took a picture of it the night I got it.

Today we want to make it halfway across SD. I have a nice room booked at a Microtel in Rapid City for Tuesday thru Friday. Today we may meet up with Holly if he can get out of work early.

I'll post a picture or two of the Mall of America later...

All settled nin at a Microtel in Rapid City SD, nice room!!! We'll be here until Friday morning when we start heading back east, maybe!!!We may extend for another couple days and see Custer's last stand.

Today we saw a really neat museum basically billed as cars but there was everything there!!! The name was Pioneer Auto Museum I think. There was a lot to see there and I ended up taking over 500 pictures there!!! After that we went to 1880 Town which is a replica of an early pioneer town from 1880. Lotsa cool stuff there!! We met this performer Jeff Klein who was with the Beach Boys before they were the Beach Boys!! Heard al sorts of interesting stories from him and had a very enjoyable conversation with him and his wife Cynthia. Unfortunately I ran out of charged batteries before we got to the Saloon where they were entertaining.

Tomorrow morning we are seeing the Presidents, Crazy Horse and Wall Drugs. I should have some pictures for you tomorrow...

Wow Bob this has been fun reading about your adventures across country meeting members.

I love this sight and the people on it. have a safe trip . Hope to see you when you get back. How about a fall ride here in the Finger lakes?

Sure enough Mike!! We should be passing thru Sunday. Going to try to make Des Moines today. We will be thru Omaha this afternoon and may stop for a while. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Sooo, to catch everybody up on the last few days, Thursday we managed to take in Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Both were magnificant sites!! Friday we went to Belle Fooche to visit the center of the nation, and spent some time in Sturgis. Then we went to Wall Drugs. Took a bazillion pictures, especially in the motorcycle museum in Sturgis. So far I,ve already filled an 8 gig card up and am well into the second 8 gig card!! Just been too busy thatr I haven't had time to resize and post any pictures...

Yesterday was a fun day!! On the highway we passed a middle aged mom and her teenage daughter driving the same make and model the same color as our car. A short time mom passed us. Shortly after that we passed her again, then she stayed behind me. As we were passing a semi she was a little close to my rear so I floored it to put a good half mile between us. A little later there she was right behind me, stuck like glue. I'd pass, she'd pass. I set the cruise at 76 she was behind me. Set te cruise at 70 she was still behind me pacing me! This kept up for a good hour until they finally exited. Sigh!! So ended our superslab romance!!!

I'm thinking there was also some high UFO activity over Iowa yesterday. Every once in a while the GPS would place us travelling somewhere either to the left or the right of where we actually were! The "BITB" even had us driving thru a lake and up a creek!! a little while later it would recover us on the right highway. It even lost track of how fast we were doing, saying I was doing 62 when I was doing more like 75! I can see it now, "Officer, my GPS said I was only doing 62 so I believed it..."

Had an excelent time meeting up with Mike, EUSA1 and his posse at a rootbeer stand. This place makes it's own root beer and it is possibly the best root beer on the planet!! Finally made Portage IN for the nite. Today we may try to make it all the way home, about an 8 hr drive which will end this most excellent vacation. Once home I will sort thru the 1000 + pictures I took and post a few...

Sorry I missed you Bob. Between harvest going on and no internet, t.v., or phone, I've been oblivious to the outside world. Just got the phone and internet going late today, and will have tv tomorrow. Take care and have safe travels the rest of the way. I hope my state was hospitable to you, and that it lived up to what you thought it would be!

Bernie