IGNORED

Weird problem

Celt

So made a few stops on way home tonight but had a strange thing happen as itried to leave my last stop. Did my usual click into N then hit start button and nothing, bit of a click but nothing, absolutely nothing radio off dash off lights off totally dead. After a bit oftime I turn key again dash lights up N lights up ,so ihit the start button and again click dead. So i check all relevant fuses everyone looks ok. I call a mate who lives nearby,he shows up with some extra tools and ofcourse I turn key everything works and bike bloodywell starts . I'm not sure what's the problem but have a suspicion its the starter relay. So my question to you guys is what do you think it is? or has this happened to you and what was the fix. I appreciate all and any input Gordie.

oh i cussed it out good and proper Rick , well the old accent does tend to revert back to full blown Glaswegian when im pissed (both kinds of pissed funnily enough ) so the bike may not have understood i was upset :rotf:

Well I've checked most of the wires, batt etc all seem tight and clean.i buffed up allthe fuses .now that the bike has cooled down I can't replicate the problem. I had a similar problem on my BonneyAmerica. That turned out to be a loose and dirty ground strap,but the click was way different like when your battery don't have enough juice to turn engine I'm not sure about the ignition switch, anyway to confirm that is/has a problem ? .I hope it's not that ,i have a run to go on with my son in law thursday and idoubt the local stealers would have that part on hand.

I have read about a few of these strange non-start issues here lately. Most times guys pointowards the ignition switch. What causes them to go bad so quickly? I dont recall ignition switches being such an issue on any other bike I have had. I was told many decades ago though by my dealer to not hang anymore keys on the bike key chain than I need to get from one point to another. The excess weight of them hanging and bouncing aint good for the switch.

Well I've checked most of the wires, batt etc all seem tight and clean.i buffed up allthe fuses .now that the bike has cooled down I can't replicate the problem. I had a similar problem on my BonneyAmerica. That turned out to be a loose and dirty ground strap,but the click was way different like when your battery don't have enough juice to turn engine I'm not sure about the ignition switch, anyway to confirm that is/has a problem ? .I hope it's not that ,i have a run to go on with my son in law thursday and idoubt the local stealers would have that part on hand.

If youre worried about the bike letting you down somewhere on the road, maybe do the ignition bypass mod that allows you to start your bike as it by passes your switch until you can get your switch fixed or replaced.

Brian

+1 on the ignition switch, been there, done that. First noticed that the ignition key was hot when I parked the bike. What ever resolves your problem, make sure you move all your accessories to a power relay so you cut down the amount of current running through the new switch.

I have read about a few of these strange non-start issues here lately. Most times guys pointowards the ignition switch. What causes them to go bad so quickly? I dont recall ignition switches being such an issue on any other bike I have had. I was told many decades ago though by my dealer to not hang anymore keys on the bike key chain than I need to get from one point to another. The excess weight of them hanging and bouncing aint good for the switch.

This doesn't have to do with vibration, but with the additional electrical current going thru the contacts in the ignition switch. If you have auxiliary running lights that run thru, it can cause a problem.

The way to avoid the problem is to bypass all the juice going thru the switch and put it thru a relay.

If this turns out to be a problem, get a set of locks (ignition, gas tank, saddle and trunk boxes) from Pinwall. IIRC the full set is about $150. When you wire it in, put all the power thru a relay.

RR

So I had a problem very VERY similar to this sitting in the parking lot of TRIUMF at UBC a little while back. It turned out to be a loose connection near the main fuse. I am pretty sure it was onto the starter relay, but I could be mistaken. All I know is that behind the left passenger (clutch side) floorboard, near the main fuse, there were a few bolts that hold electrical cables. One was quite loose. What I found is that it was loose enough that when I would hit the starter, it would arc (hence hearing the pop) and I would loose ALL electrical (radio, dash, lights, etc. DEAD).

I had suspected my ignition switch, but am glad that it was only this loose connection. You very well could have a problem with your ignition switch as many on here do but, do yourself a favor and give this a good check first. (Although, you may have done it already).

Also, make sure to clean the electrical connections with a wire brush or something to be sure that they are actually making good contact. Visual inspection does not always catch everything. As some of the buildup ends up being hard to see.

Best of luck to you!

:080402gudl_prv:

I'll be running by the yami dealer this afternoon , ive still got a year left on the warrenty so i dont want to mod anything (bypass switch ) just in case . It started no problem this morning but when i got to work (1/2 hr ride), i shut it down then tried to restart and click dead for a second but everything lit up right away , the click is very noticable and comes from left side behind saddle, starter solonoid . Is that what happens when the ignition switch goes ? i have no driving lights or other accessories , well other than brake light bar ,that shouldnt have a bearing on this . Thanks for all the replys i appreciate it

The FJR had an issue with main ground connection that would cause similay issues. My first gen had ignition switch problems with similar symptoms. if you get lights but no starter lookn at kill switches, kick stand switch. tilt switch, clutch lever if trying to start in gear instead of neutral. However my best guess would be poor ground somewhere.

Al

I couldn't wait for the phone call from the dealer so I called lunch time thursday . The service guy says yup all good ,battery was shot and they have one on charge and bike will be ready to go in an hour. Wow I thought ,not quite what I was thinking was wrong but that's what it was. I thought the battery was all good,it was on a trickle charge most of the winter and I load tested it a coupla months ago and it was fine .Anyways glad it wasn't that ignition switch . Thanks for the help fellas its appreciated

"bit of a click but nothing, absolutely nothing radio off dash off lights off totally dead"......

i don't believe the starter relay would cause absolutely no power to you gauges and such. sounds more likely to be the ignition switch...that's my 2 cents worth .....best of luck.