IGNORED

What's The Best Year for a 2nd gen?

SilvrT

And PUHLEEZE let's not have snide remarks from the 1st genners .... (as if that would ever happen)

Just wondering about this ... as we all know, some vehicles come off the assembly line at the wrong time of day or week and turn out to be a lemon. Similarly, certain years of a given run of vehicles seem to be better than others so...

What year of the 2nd gen seemed to stand out as a better production year than others? Had the least amount of issues, least number of clutch basket whiners, least number of assembly screw-ups, etc, least number of rear shock early failures and so on....

Do we have any stats on this? Any thoughts from ya'll on this? Something for ya'll to jaw about while I'm away to Kruisn Kootenays to keep ya'll out of trouble.. :whistling:

I have no clue, but I've had my 05 since October & have put 13,000 miles on it and have only took 1 600 mile round trip, several short trips 250 miles but mostly ride mine everyday running errands, work, to visit wife at her office, to make a beer run ( i live in a DRY county) or just go for a ride because I can. I've put a tire, rear breaks and changed the oil & filter...oh and I had to put a battery on it....I use to think I wanted a GoldWing but my 05 fits me and my needs to a T....

I have two at the moment, my trusty 2003 rasberry and sand colored rsv has been very good to me.

i think i have the best answer for you anyway???

i have a 2000 mm edition with:

2003 pillow top seats

2007 blue right lower fairing

2003 rasberry left lower fairing

2009 black and sand upper outer fairing

2004 white inner upper fairing

2000 red cassett deck

2009 sand right rear lower speaker housing

2007 blue rear speaker grills

2006 black cherry trunk lid

2005 black and red tour deluxe left lower saddlebag

2009 black and sand rsv right lower saddlebag

2003 rasberry and sand front fender

2005 stock black tank cover

the rest of the painted parts are 2000 mm tan/white

still need a set of rear crash bars if anyone that triked might want to part with them cheap??

i think i will call it the johnny cash bike??

should i paint it?? naaaah!

i think i will transfer the mm badge off the broken trunk lid!

2003 pillow top seats

2000 red cassett deck

still need a set of rear crash bars if anyone that triked might want to part with them cheap??

Hazens old bike

:)

I have two at the moment, my trusty 2003 rasberry and sand colored rsv has been very good to me.

i think i have the best answer for you anyway???

2003 pillow top seats

2000 red cassett deck

Mike I have the MM tan bib and ignition cover

WOMAN'S Opinion: The one that I get to ride on!

What does it matter which year? Whether it has a cassette player or fuel injection, ours has been good to

us since we have owned her. She is trustworthy, comfortable to ride, and I believe looks good. Since we have owned it, we have joined this wonderful group, we have traveled many places and seen many things. We have met many new people that we would never have met with out owning our bike. We like it, and we are keeping it, until we can no longer ride.

There, it is the best year and hopefully there will be many more GOOD years!

Yama Mamaattachment.php?attachmentid=68918&stc=1&d=1340895936

And ... as we all know, some vehicles come off the assembly line at the wrong time of day or week and turn out to be a lemon. Similarly, certain years of a given run of vehicles seem to be better than others so...

I work in the computer department at the Toyota plant in Cambridge, ON where we make the Corolla, Matrix, RAV4, and Lexus RX350 (only plant outside Japan that makes Lexus). Been here 22 years (and every day is one day closer to retirement).

The Japanese manufacturing process is based on Team Members following the same process every time they do a particular task. Whether Joe Blow does the process at 7am on Monday or Jane Doe does it at 2:30am Saturday they do it the same way... right down to the path they walk in doing the process. Standardized work is what we call it. Tell people you have a process for doing something and it is understood that it is a departmental/company standard.

The old adage of never buying the first year of a new model (also applies to a major model change) should be followed, at least for the first few months of a build. Major model changes involve new parts and new processes and although the major "bugs" get worked out in pilot builds, there is always some tweaking during the first few months of a new build.

As for the RSV... yes the bike is basically the same from '99 to '12 but there have been some changes (clutch basket, addition of cd-changer, change to iPod adapter, seat). Colour has changed as well as pin-striping and badges but that is cosmetic.

Best model year of the RSV ? Whatever one you ride. (including if it is even an antique 1st Gen - gave Yamaha something to improve on ! ) :rasberry: