IGNORED

Trailer or pack it on top

exrsa1

Leaving Saturday for a 12 day trip from Kansas City, MO to Bar Harbor, Maine, then down along the coast and eventually winding our way back to KC.

Here's my question. When we go on our longer trips, we have a few more things than normal, and since we are going up to the NE, and the weather will be cooler and rainy from the looks of it, we will pack some extra things for that too. Now, I can get it all on the bike, including using the luggage rack, with the bag made to attach to it. When I calculate my weight that I will add on the bike, and then add myself and tailgunner, we are running pretty heavy, I think. We have done it for many miles that way but I am setup on the bike and have a nice little trailer that I can pull along... So, if I take all that weight off the bike (luggage, not tailgunner) and put it in the trailer with a tongue weight of about 20 pounds, would that be a better option? I will have less weight on the bike, but more weight behind me, and gas mileage goes down, and so forth....

So what say ye? What would be the preferred way to do this?

Thanks

Ex

well I don't bout trailer or not but here is a suggestion... a friend on another forum travels a LOT, said he only carries a cple nice change of clothes and if he needs more he stops at thrift stores buys what he needs for a little of nothing wears it & tosses it..said that way he had room for things he wants to buy along the way... just an idea....

I've done both and I prefer the trailer. The bike seems to handle better without all of the weight up high. Also, I feel it is much more convenient to get things out of the trailer as opposed to unpacking the bike anytime I need something. I also worry about carrying significant weight on the trunk rack. The trailer does increase stopping distances and reduces acceleration slightly. But so does the extra weight packed on the bike. The way my wife likes to pack and shop we have to take the trailer on weekend trips. Either that or I have to pay a lot of postage shipping things home.

Dennis

We made that decision for our "Venture West" trip last summer. Decided to take the trailer. Most of our trip was spent off the main highways. On two occasions, we were able to leave the loaded trailer behind for day rides, including a day on the Going to the Sun road in Glacier Park. That sure felt liberating. However, if we were leaving tomorrow for another trip like yours, I would definitely use the trailer again. As far as we were concerned, the benefits far outweighed the hassle of having a trailer behind us.

Pull the trailer. Makes things alot easier. I unhook mine at the hotel and go find something to eat and explore for awhile, when I'm running the 2 lanes. Its alot easier to pack in the morning also. Hope you have a fun and safe trip.

Go the trailer route. I've done both, but I ride solo, and even then when hauling a bunch of stuff up to Cody last year I couldn't have packed it on the bike. Two up.... trailer time. For a 2-3 nighter a duffle type bag fits crosswise in the navigator seat nicely.

i feel the way to tell is are you more comfortable with the trailer or without i always use the trailer usually leave with it half full and come home with it overflowing and she who must be obeyed likes the little extras that a trailer can carry. :backinmyday:

I think it comes down to safety and your perception of it. If you feel uncomfortable pulling a trailer, try and keep as much weight low as possible and think through a reasonable weight management program for the luggage. Many things can be bought for the need and discarded when that need is gone. But overall, the bottom line should be your perception of the safety and handling... that will get you to relax and enjoy far more than any forced decision and also reinforce your confidence in the experience.

I like the trailer also, for some reason I pack well for the trip but won't fit for the return

Kinda like when checking out at Wally World, all the stuff that came out of one buggy BEFORE check out takes two buggies after check out.......:confused24:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

A third option a couple folks have is to connect a cargo carrier to the trailer hitch. I'd like to add a trailer or carrier in the hopefully not too distant future, any of you folks with trailers try the carrier option? or vise versa have a carrier and then do a trailer?

I can camp by myself with either bike I have but if two up I don't see it happening, too much stuff. We use my backpacking gear which is pretty compact but still not enough room.

I did see an old harley looking bike with grizzly adams at the control going down the interstate one time with what looked like every possession the guy owned tied to the bike, everything from pots and pans to shoes, blankets, and all sorts of other stuff.:rotf:

I have a small carrier that connects to the hitch on my bike that I use to carry a small ice chest from time to time. It works but I wouldn't want to put more than about 20 lbs on it because you can feel it. The weight hanging that far back acts as if it is on a lever trying to lift the front of the bike. If I were packing for a long trip on it I would certainly carry more weight than that. With the trailer you can balance your load to maintain a reasonable tounge weight which I try to keep under 25 lbs.

Dennis

We just got back from Pigeon Forge from Spartanburg, pulled a trailer and it waz great. tied it up at nite left it at the hotel and we went a ridin.. didn't lose much in mileage. But we were able to pack all she wanted..And I carried my shorts with me.....Had a Ball.

We just got back from Pigeon Forge from Spartanburg, pulled a trailer and it waz great. tied it up at nite left it at the hotel and we went a ridin.. didn't lose much in mileage. But we were able to pack all she wanted..And I carried my shorts with me.....Had a Ball.

hard to visualize that nice trailer you tow (Hint Hint):confused24:

I pull a trailer often and it's easy to forget it's behind me it pulls so nice, even through the switchbacks on mountain roads. Just be sure to load it properly and find the sweet spot for your tire pressures. The only drawback is slightly reduced MPG.

You are going to love that trip, that whole area has beautiful roads and scenery. Bar Harbor is a great little town. If you are there for the 4th of July fireworks go to Arcadia national park, get to the top of the uphill grade road overlooking the harbor & Bar Harbor, it's a great place to view the fireworks as you're several hundred feet above it all.

Thanks much for all the replies. I was leaning towards the trailer as well, but just wanted to know what people feel was the best option. I am very comfortable with the trailer as well as with the bike loaded, but it does get heavier by the end of the trip when loaded up on the bike. I've got it packed with my 'stuff' and lots of room for her. I will carry the raingear and electronics in the saddlebags.

Thanks

Ex