IGNORED

Newbie with an 87 that needs help.

Hey all. Thanks for all the replies. I have received loads of helpful information. I am ordering a set of progressives for the forks, and hopefully a set of diaphragms. There is some solder and electrical that needs to be done as well. I left a message for Squidley and am hoping to have a mini MD scheduled soon. I don't want to ride the bike till the suspension is fixed as the fork seals are leaking badly. (discovered on a ride to work downtown and back on Wednesday)

I went ahead and paid for a membership as well. I really have found this forum to be very friendly and helpful. I cannot truthfully weigh in on the 1st gen vs SLOW 2nd gen argument as I've only ridden my 1st gen. However, I can say that I like my first gen better cuz it is mine. Lol.

Thanks for everything, guys. I look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

JP

Hey all. Thanks for all the replies. I have received loads of helpful information. I am ordering a set of progressives for the forks, and hopefully a set of diaphragms. There is some solder and electrical that needs to be done as well. I left a message for Squidley and am hoping to have a mini MD scheduled soon. I don't want to ride the bike till the suspension is fixed as the fork seals are leaking badly. (discovered on a ride to work downtown and back on Wednesday)

I went ahead and paid for a membership as well. I really have found this forum to be very friendly and helpful. I cannot truthfully weigh in on the 1st gen vs SLOW 2nd gen argument as I've only ridden my 1st gen. However, I can say that I like my first gen better cuz it is mine. Lol.

Thanks for everything, guys. I look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

JP

Good to hear,, hope it all works out well for Ya.

Now you guys can go back to the other track you were on!

D4Klutz, concerning radio issues, when I picked up my 87, had little to no reception and right speaker had loud buzz. Removed radio/cassette unit and speakers. Tried to clean and jiggle connectors as reseating radio. Also interchanged speakers to troubleshoot noise problem. Re-installed hardware, noise problem mysteriously cleared and has worked fine since, that was last fall. Sometimes those horseshoes hurt.

Reception problem was easier to find, previous owner had stripped antenna mounting threads and wound a bit of white teflon tape around same threads on the inside to tighten connection... just enough to inhibit reception. Maybe something to check. Good luck with restoration.

I will be working on it on Saturday with Squidley. He has ben gracious enough to offer his trailer, garage, tools, and time to get my bike fixed. I owe him big time. We will be putting new seals and progressive springs in the forks, as well as getting the Class system fixed (hopefully)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

So, Squidley and I got together yesterday to work on my bike. With alot of time and a large amount of patience with my lack of knowledge, Brad helped me to get progressives in the forks. We bled the clutch and all 3 brakes. We also did a little tweaking on the carbs, but that will have to be another day.

I had a really fun ride home last night after the long day. I really appreciate the help I have received and the knowledge imparted to me.

I still have to fix the rats nest of wires the PO left me, figure out the weirdness with the carbs (starting with new wires, plugs, coils, and diaphrams), fix some major plastics issues ( or find some replacement pieces), and ride the heck out of the bike. I must say, the progresives and the little bit of carb tweaking really made the bike fun to ride. I really cant wait to get the engine running perfectly. The bike is already scary fast.

I must send out a thanks to Brad's wife. I appreciate the good supper she made for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2