IGNORED

My new Road King Mufflers came with a wig?"

I got my Road King slips ons today. They are from an 09 bike and were never used.

I looked into the input on one of them and it looked like a wig was stuffed in there. This is what I pulled out. It appears to be packing? The stuff you see is brownish, the rest inside the muffler is white. Anyone else see this? Now that I pulled it out a bit did I screw it up?

IMAGE_D347B7ED-D3C2-4C3F-B63E-11CA3C78FD7C.JPG

Edited by ablumny

Right! I'm wondering if the thing is no good now. I don't see that material in the other muffler so I though the same, is it part of the cat. If I keep pulling it'll come out but of course I stopped. I had first thought the guy had hidden his hair piece in there!

I have 05 RK slip ons, and I'll tell you, it's not the catalytic converter. The converter looks like a bees honeycomb, and is 3 1/2" long. Must be packing.

Thanks. I guess I'll just push it back in and hope for the best. Any idea what the thread size is for the two mounting tabs on the muffler? I just came back from the hardware joint, the closest that worked was 5/16 course thread but even that didn't thread all the way.

I had a set of 08 Ultra mufflers. I did not see anything that looks like that inside. I will say that one muffler was very different than the other. One muffler (the right one I think )if you looked inside the inlet you could see all the way to the rear baffle plate. The rear baffle plate on that side had a little top hat that kept you from seeing out the exit hole straight through the muffler.

The left muffler was different and you could not see very far past the inlet side at all.

Since the left and right mufflers were so different internally (and the stock ones aren't) I was worried about exhaust flow balance left and right. Didn't feel like drilling hammering out the left one to see if i could get it to look like the right one inside so I sold them.

The exhaust on a newer harley is different and they use a crossover for flow routing and balancing between the mufflers. I'm willing to bet one of your mufflers looks completely different inside than the other. Being 09 mufflers One of them likely has a Cat in it.

I would want two mufflers that look the same inside. I think you need the older (before 05 maybe) RK or ultra mufflers to achieve this.

RSTDdog

That hairy stuff is definitely not part of the muffler.

The bolt size is 5/16"NC. I used 1" long.

The right side muffler should have a cat converter in it. Look in the inlet. It will look like a honeycomb.

The left side will not have it.

If you have trouble slipping it on the exhaust pipe, Harbor Freight has an exhaust expander tool for +-$10 that did the trick for me. It only needed a little bit but it sure made a difference.

Thanks guys. This stuff is in the left side muffler when looking at the bike from the back. I got the mufflers on, out for a ride and this stuff is now hanging out of the muffler !

I got the right bolts, thx. The mufflers have a split flange so getting them all the way on was a breeze and htey sound great. Made my own brackets from drawings found here!

Thanks for the help. Ill be selling a pair of Bubs in good condition if any intrest....

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XH8p6uUm7r55aTo-oNyAkdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OY6dE8a-k17_xOW1bTFDx9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UlGBfXt5Mze3I5Pzg9RvCNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3UcypY4kHSDbI4J2propZdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/07QkiLg4qE3YVpHg6aewPNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

no mice :)... It looks like hair! Creeeeepppy

I was going to pull it out and started to but then the brown hair led to white material and I was concerned I was pulling out the packing. Ive repacked my old Bub's and that mateiral looks nothing liek this though! Ill dive into this again today.

Thanks all and thanks for the intrest in my old Bub's. Got a lot of replies..

Well I spoke to the guy I bought the hairy mufflers from. He advised the mufflers were in a storage unit for years with lots of his ex wife's stuff. We both guess a mouse found a wig and made a nest. I pulled the rest out and all is well. I don't see a honeycomb thing in either muffler.

Thx for all the fun replies!

Someone here did say to get 05 or earlier To get a set without the cat converter.

I just installed a set of 05 RK's on the 99 rsv trike, I didn't see any honey combing in either muffler.Did the RK have a cat converter in the mufflers or the pipes?