IGNORED

Avon Tire Question ??? Help ....

Ok, I am sorry, but it is tire time and I need some information to order. I have found the best price at Dennis Kirks. Beat all others by $ 79.04 . So now for the right front tire question. I have found a rear Avon Venom 42 in the same size as the front. But this tire, Avon Venom AM 42 has greater tread depth 11/32 compared to the same size in Avon Venom AM 41 tread depth of 7/32.

AM 41 Front (On front of the bike now 11,414 miles and down to tread mark.)

Dimensions:

Inflated Width/Measuring Rim Width: 6.3 in./3.5 in.

Inflated Diameter: 25.2 in.

Acceptable Rim Width: 3.0-4.25 in.

Deepest Tread Depth: 7/32 in.

Balance DOT: No

Directional Arrow: Yes-Front Wheel

Speed Rating: H-Rated up to 130 MPH

Capacities and Construction:

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 761 lbs./42 PSI

Load Range: B

Bias or Radial Ply: Bias

Tread Plies/Material: 4 Nylon

Sidewall Plies/Material: 4 Nylon

DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes

Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless-Can be used with a tube

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AM 42 Rear but in same size - almost identical but with greater tread detph and heavier load capacity

Dimensions:

Inflated Width/Measuring Rim Width: 5.9 in./3.5 in.

Inflated Diameter: 25.4 in.

Acceptable Rim Width: 3.0-4.25 in.

Deepest Tread Depth: 11/32 in.

Balance DOT: No

Directional Arrow: Yes

Speed Rating: H-Rated up to 130 MPH

Capacities and Construction:

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 906 lbs./49 PSI

Load Range: C

Bias or Radial Ply: Bias

Tread Plies/Material: 3 Nylon/2 Aramid

Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Nylon

DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes

Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless-Can be used with a tube

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This information was copied and pasted from Dennis Kirk web site. I believe it is correct. Has anyone else tried the AM 42 rear on the front, after all, the biggest difference is the tread depth and sidewall. AM 41 - sidewall 4 nylon - tread ply 4 - nylon, AM 42 - sidewall 3 nylon but tread ply material of 3 nylon/2 Aramid.

I am replacing front and rear, 11,414 miles on them of both. Both worn out. Rear worn to the threads in two different places due to when I locked it up twice to avoid accident with people pulling out in front of me.The front is down to the tread wear marks, almost smooth across the tread mark, but with very little 1/8 " tread depth left.

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

The tread pattern for the front Am41 includes a center groove, whereas the rear AM42 does not.

I'd use the tire designed for the front.

Thanks Randy, I never even took that into consideration. Tread Pattern,:sign02:You are right. So more than likely I will take this advise. But I will see if anyone else has tried the other tire configuration first.

:thumbsup2:

just my :2cents: ........ a front tire is made for the front and a rear made for the rear.... what do you know about tires that all those over paid engineers do not ?

just wonder is all

I agree, but to find a matching tire in the same size,same design,same manufacture, and more tread depth was kinda intriguing to me. After all, the front and rear tires are really doing the same thing, just less weight on the front I supposed. But I guess that is why the front has the extra tread line in the center, less weight. I am going with the regular front tire. Shucks some people run car tires on their bikes. Not me though, I totally think the car tires are made for cars, I can see the difference there in design. I would not take that chance. I do ride one though, I bet some of those engineers have not even ridden a bike.....

Hey James,

First off, let me say that I run a REAR tire on the front of my 89'VR. I do not on the 87'VR. These two bikes do two different things for me in the way I ride. On the 89'VR, I pull a trailer and carry heavy loads. On the 87'VR, I go very fast, and lean a lot. You wouldn't put snow tires on a Corvette, and you wouldn't put Corvette tires on your Silverado 3500..... UNLESS you were going to drive your 3500 like a Corvette!!!

The point I am trying to make here is, the rear tire on your bike is a traction tire, it pushes your bike down the road. The front tire on your bike is a steering tire, it leads your bike thru turns. The rear tire has a heavier sidewall, and the tread was designed for traction under the power of the motorcycle. Here is what you can expect if you put a rear tire on the front of your RSTD. You will be mounting and running this tire backwards! This tire will last longer. You may very well hear a fair amount of road noise from this tire, (especially in turns) The front end of your bike will not be as "nimble" as it would be with a steering type tire. This tire is going to "follow" rain groves, tar snakes, and cracks in the road because it is after all, a traction tire. Because of the extra tread depth, it is going to "cup" easier, and sooner than a front tire.

There are a few things that I DON"T skimp on when it comes to my motorcycle, brakes are one of them. (changing brake pads, brake lines, flushing brake fluid, etc.) The other item is TIRES. If you NEED the extra load capacity like I did, or you are buying this tire because you do a lot of "Slab Riding" and want the front tire to last much longer, then this tire is a viable option. If, on the other hand, you think your bike feels like a "pig in the mud" when trying to maneuver in a parking lot, or you can get a "great deal" on a rear tire for the front of your bike, then this is NOT the tire for you. Remember, a "deal" is not a "deal" if it makes your bike unridable! 15,000 miles will feel like 150,000 if your handle bars vibrate, if you can't turn this bike around on a city street, or your bike "wanders" all over the highway because this traction tire is searching for some pavement to "hook up" on. At over 800 pounds, and with only TWO tires on the road, TIRE TROUBLE is the last thing I want when I go for a ride. I figure I'm worth the difference in price between the "Good Tire", and the "Deal Tire"! Aren't YOU worth it as well? :confused24:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
V7GOOSE SPELL CHECKER CORRECTION!

Just wondering James you didn't mention it or I missed it but what kind of Tires are you running now. Sounds like you got pretty good mileage out of them were you unhappy with there handling or are you just price shopping.

For me and I don't have the experience that most of these guys do but the Avon's made a huge difference in stock sizes to the ride and handling of my rsv. Just some food for thought if you haven't tried them.

Hey James,

First off, let me say that I run a REAR tire on the front of my 89'VR. I do not on the 87'VR. These two bikes do two different things for me in the way I ride. On the 89'VR, I pull a trailer and carry heavy loads. On the 87'VR, I go very fast, and lean a lot. You wouldn't put snow tires on a Corvette, and you wouldn't put Corvette tires on your Silverado 3500..... UNLESS you were going to drive your 3500 like a Corvette!!!

The point I am trying to make here is, the rear tire on your bike is a traction tire, it pushes your bike down the road. The front tire on your bike is a steering tire, it leads your bike thru turns. The rear tire has a heavier sidewall, and the tread was designed for traction under the power of the motorcycle. Here is what you can expect if you put a rear tire on the front of your RSTD. You will be mounting and running this tire backwards! The load capacity of the bike will be increased. This tire will last longer. You may very well hear a fair amount of road noise from this tire, (especially in turns) The front end of your bike will not be as "nimble" as it would be with a steering type tire. This tire is going to "follow" rain groves, tar snakes, and cracks in the road because it is after all, a traction tire. Because of the extra tread depth, it is going to "cup" easier, and sooner than a front tire.

There are a few things that I DON"T skimp on when it comes to my motorcycle, brakes are one of them. (changing brake pads, brake lines, flushing brake fluid, etc.) The other item is TIRES. If you NEED the extra load capacity like I did, or you are buying this tire because you do a lot of "Slab Riding" and want the front tire to last much longer, then this tire is a viable option. If, on the other hand, you think your bike feels like a "pig in the mud" when trying to maneuver in a parking lot, or you can get a "great deal" on a rear tire for the front of your bike, then this is NOT the tire for you. Remember, a "deal" is not a "deal" if it makes your bike unridable! 15,000 miles will feel like 150,000 if your handle bars vibrate, if you can't turn this bike around on a city street, or your bike "wanders" all over the highway because this traction tire is searching for some pavement to "hook up" on. At over 800 pounds, and with only TWO tires on the road, TIRE TROUBLE is the last thing I want when I go for a ride. I figure I'm worth the difference in price between the "Good Tire", and the "Deal Tire"! Aren't YOU worth it as well? :confused24:

Earl

Thanks,that all makes since. Now I have been enlightened on the front tire. I am going with the regular Avon Am 41 front tire as I said earlier, but I thought I read where some one did put a rear on the front one time. Maybe it was you. I just did not understand the concept of it all. Thank you for the information.

Just wondering James you didn't mention it or I missed it but what kind of Tires are you running now. Sounds like you got pretty good mileage out of them were you unhappy with there handling or are you just price shopping.

For me and I don't have the experience that most of these guys do but the Avon's made a huge difference in stock sizes to the ride and handling of my rsv. Just some food for thought if you haven't tried them.

Sorry about that. Yes I learned real early on that the Avon Venoms where for me. I really like these tires. Some get around 25,000 - 28,000 out of a front tire. I still have some tread on the front, but I think I will go for both.

I would have gotten more out of the rear if I had not been in a situation where I locked the back tire up a couple different times to stop for someone pulling out in front of me (around 10,000 miles on the tires then). As I road later on, few months later, the bike started to feel kinda squirrely. So I looked at the rear tire and found the problem. I could see both places where the rubber was thinner and into the threads. So I parked it and have been waiting on the money to buy more Avons. Dennis Kirks rear AM 42 tire is $107.00 and the front AM 41 tire is $127.00 with free shipping. :thumbsup2:

snip

The point I am trying to make here is, the rear tire on your bike is a traction tire, it pushes your bike down the road. The front tire on your bike is a steering tire, it leads your bike thru turns. The rear tire has a heavier sidewall, and the tread was designed for traction under the power of the motorcycle. Here is what you can expect if you put a rear tire on the front of your RSTD. You will be mounting and running this tire backwards! The load capacity of the bike will be increased. This tire will last longer. You may very well hear a fair amount of road noise from this tire, (especially in turns) The front end of your bike will not be as "nimble" as it would be with a steering type tire. This tire is going to "follow" rain groves, tar snakes, and cracks in the road because it is after all, a traction tire. Because of the extra tread depth, it is going to "cup" easier, and sooner than a front tire.

snip

Earl

I do not want anyone believing that fitting a higher load rated tire on a motorcycle increases the load capacity of the bike - this is NOT true, and even the thought of it has potential to be very DANGEROUS.

The load capacity of any vehicle is defined by the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), which is the TOTAL acceptable weight of the vehicle, including all fluids, people, accessories, cargo, and hitch weight. In addition to the GVW number, there is also a gross axle weight specification, which is more important to determining the required tire load rating. The GVW is specified by the manufacturer and is based on many things, but primarily frame strength, suspension components, bearing design,and BRAKE design. The load capacity of the STOCK tires, as designated by the vehicle manufacturer, is generally selected to accommodate the already determined GVW of the vehicle. In fact, the actual load capacity of the recommended tires is generally GREATER than the GVW limit, so selecting any tire with a higher load capacity does NOTHING to safely increase the load capacity of the vehicle!

The ONLY thing that higher load rated tires do for you is provide an extra margin of safety for the tires only, meaning that if you chose to deliberately overload your bike beyond the specified safety limits, any failure or damage probably will not be in the tires.

Bottom line is that using higher load rated tires do have a bit of value in reducing the risk of catastrophic tire failure, but they do NOT increase the load capacity of the vehicle. And if you do not OVERLOAD the bike, any value from the higher load rating is insignificant. Note also that the stock tires (71H front, 74H rear) already have a total load capacity 300 lbs greater than the GVW for the RSV, so even though many of us regularly run this bike overloaded, the stock tires are STILL completely safe for just about anything you could possibly pile on. And the Avon and Dunlop E3 tires that most of us seem to use have even higher load ratings in stock sizes. Just do not be fooled into thinking that somehow these higher load rated tires are somehow increasing the safe load capacity of the bike - they do not.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

I retract the statement that the "load capacity of the bike will be increased". And have deleted it from the original post in this thread. The REAL point I was trying to make was, buying a tire because you got a "deal" on it, is not the way I select the tires on my motorcycles. I personally know of Rider/Passenger Combos that EXCEED the Recommended Maximum Load Rating of both First and Second Gens. without ANYTHING in the trunk! Not to mention owners that run car tires, or have had their bikes Triked. YAMAHA doesn't even recommend that a trailer be towed by ANY of their motorcycles, for heaven's sake.

Goose, you obviously have ridden hundreds of thousands of safe miles, and your knowledge of these V4 motorcycles is beyond compare. Perhaps if you would share some of that knowledge in your posts with our fellow VR.ORG members, instead of SPELL CHECKING MY POSTS, we would ALL learn a bit more about these wonderful machines we have grown to love. James plainly stated that he "got the message" about what I was trying to say in my previous post, now, lets see if YOU "get the message" about this post. :doh:

My name is Earl Harrell and that's all I have to say about that.:confused24:

Earl, I am sorry that you are upset with me, but I guess we are just going to have to disagree.

I don't spell check anybody's posts but my own. I do not care if your spelling or grammar is wrong - those things are generally immaterial.

Your point about understanding why someone should choose a specific tire is absolutely valid.

BUT, when a statement is made in a post that could have dangerous consequences to an inexperienced rider who takes it as fact, then I think it is imperative that ANYONE who recognizes the problem correct it for the benefit of all. It is one thing for someone to deliberately decide to overload their vehicle - that is their decision and they are accepting the risk; however, it is quite another thing to have them falsely believe that they are no longer overloading the vehicle just because they changed the tires.

As for your comment that perhaps I should share some of my knowledge in my posts..., I'm quite nonplussed. I think I have gone far and away further than probably 90%+ of the members here to do just that, but I am doing less and less now simply because it just ain't worth dealing with this sort of thing.

Goose

Earl, I am sorry that you are upset with me, but I guess we are just going to have to disagree.

I don't spell check anybody's posts but my own. I do not care if your spelling or grammar is wrong - those things are generally immaterial.

Your point about understanding why someone should choose a specific tire is absolutely valid.

BUT, when a statement is made in a post that could have dangerous consequences to an inexperienced rider who takes it as fact, then I think it is imperative that ANYONE who recognizes the problem correct it for the benefit of all. It is one thing for someone to deliberately decide to overload their vehicle - that is their decision and they are accepting the risk; however, it is quite another thing to have them falsely believe that they are no longer overloading the vehicle just because they changed the tires.

As for your comment that perhaps I should share some of my knowledge in my posts..., I'm quite nonplussed. I think I have gone far and away further than probably 90%+ of the members here to do just that, but I am doing less and less now simply because it just ain't worth dealing with this sort of thing.

Goose

Guys, Gals and others,

I will speak for me, and just me. I am relatively new to this forum and know each of you have a vested interest in this site, so to speak, with all of the useful and accurate information I have seen you post, sometimes years old. Your dedication and determination regarding safety, tech information and overall just helping those of us less experienced/gifted on these matters are unequaled on any forum I have been a part of. To say that the information given on this site is helpful, is most likely the understatement of the year. I know personally, having bought a RSV last fall that required electrical help, that I would have never tackled a seemingly simple task as tracking down the ignition, coils, etc to a problem with the pickup coil saving me hundreds at the stealer, without the help of Goose. There are many here, that should be attesting to the same thing.

Fellas, I am not sure what is going on with this thread/post but this I do know. We have many things in each of our lives that drain us dry, suck the life out of us and leave us looking for our release in the bikes we so love. I think each of you have much to offer this site, and am especially grateful for the unselfish help Goose offered me as a newbie. I truly hope, Goose, that you continue to help us with our bikes. I think I understand your need to relax. But I hope it is only for a while. I have seen several post in the last few days wondering if your ok....Again, speaking just for me,

James

Guys, Gals and others,

I will speak for me, and just me. I am relatively new to this forum and know each of you have a vested interest in this site, so to speak, with all of the useful and accurate information I have seen you post, sometimes years old. Your dedication and determination regarding safety, tech information and overall just helping those of us less experienced/gifted on these matters are unequaled on any forum I have been a part of. To say that the information given on this site is helpful, is most likely the understatement of the year. I know personally, having bought a RSV last fall that required electrical help, that I would have never tackled a seemingly simple task as tracking down the ignition, coils, etc to a problem with the pickup coil saving me hundreds at the stealer, without the help of Goose. There are many here, that should be attesting to the same thing.

Fellas, I am not sure what is going on with this thread/post but this I do know. We have many things in each of our lives that drain us dry, suck the life out of us and leave us looking for our release in the bikes we so love. I think each of you have much to offer this site, and am especially grateful for the unselfish help Goose offered me as a newbie. I truly hope, Goose, that you continue to help us with our bikes. I think I understand your need to relax. But I hope it is only for a while. I have seen several post in the last few days wondering if your ok....Again, speaking just for me,

James

Well said. My feelings exactly. I think both Goose and SkyDoc offer a lot of help to a lot of people here. Thank you both very much and I hope you both continue to help us less fortunate here to figure these things out. Please do not get hurt at one another. We need you both, even in your disagreements we have learnt something here. Thank you again. :thumbsup2: James Darrell Fultz

There are a couple of differences in front and rear tires one being tread design the other being the way the cords are overlapped. the rear tire pushes and the front stops the major forces are in opposite directions. You could probably run ether tire in ether position and probably not notice the difference but for maximum performance and longest life I run them in the recommended position. I run avon venom mt90 b 16 74h on the front because it makes a major difference in the way the bike handles

Shortly before my mom pasted away I decided to live my life in such way that if I could not do something in love I would not do it. Let me tell you that is hard. Our ego's are fragile and can easily be offended. Case in point:

My ex was irritating me via email and I responded by provoking her to the point where she exploded and made herself look foolish. After some contemplation I realized that my actions had violated the lifestyle of not doing something if it wasn't with love. I sent her an apology, explaining the reasoning and asked her forgiveness. She did! The point is that I let my ego get the better of me.

I love both of you guys! Earl, you befriended me the first time I showed up at Don's MD. and gave me the correct sized clutch plate I needed! Ken you put me up at your place when I was traveling through Texas to see my mom! The value of both of you to this website is priceless!! We need you guys!

Hey Kent,

I am not angry at you, my friend. You are the "Bar" that I strive to pull myself up to. Because I know a few things about motorcycles, the list of people I can glean knowledge from is somewhat shorter than some of the other members on this forum.

I sincerely apologize for "nipping at your heals" in my previous post. You made a valid point. I would never want you to become weary of sharing your knowledge with all of us because of MY inability to refrain from taking a "verbal jab" at you. I have come to realize that we have two very different communication styles. I will try very hard in the future to take that into consideration when our posts cross paths.

Thank you for all that you do for myself and the others on this forum. As it is in many areas of my life, (including the way I ride) I often have trouble defining the line between passion, and "over the top"! I'll continue to work on it. My hope is that you, and the other members of this forum will continue to be patient with me.:confused24:

Earl

What first caught my attention about this thread was the tread depth. I LIKE WWW, so when I had a choice of a rear or front HD WWW, I chose the rear to put on the front, partially because it had a wider WW and because it had a deeper tread depth. (heavier also)

But now that I have 24M on it, it is cupped and the next one going on the front will be a front HD WW. I'm thinking that the lighter tire would be better. (BTW, they are both the same size)

Now, as far as Goose and Skydock goes, they are the two people that I have the utmost respect for as far as technical advice goes, and when either one speaks, I LISTEN! We might not agree on how my bike is set up, but that is beside the point.

A big thank you to you both and I sure do hope you both keep posting your knowledge for us.

Steve

Hey Kent,

I am not angry at you, my friend. You are the "Bar" that I strive to pull myself up to. Because I know a few things about motorcycles, the list of people I can glean knowledge from is somewhat shorter than some of the other members on this forum.

I sincerely apologize for "nipping at your heals" in my previous post. You made a valid point. I would never want you to become weary of sharing your knowledge with all of us because of MY inability to refrain from taking a "verbal jab" at you. I have come to realize that we have two very different communication styles. I will try very hard in the future to take that into consideration when our posts cross paths.

Thank you for all that you do for myself and the others on this forum. As it is in many areas of my life, (including the way I ride) I often have trouble defining the line between passion, and "over the top"! I'll continue to work on it. My hope is that you, and the other members of this forum will continue to be patient with me.:confused24:

Earl

Earl,

Well said. I agree that communication styles are hard to get around sometimes. I also agree that Kent knows more than I do about nearly everything. He also has the gift of confidence in that knowledge. I have learned a great deal from this site, and Goose is among the most knowledgeable contributors. So thank you for your acknowledgment of his contribution. I hope we hear more from you as well. And please, don't anybody check my spelling. I know I don't.

Best regards to the VentureRiders

just my :2cents: ........ a front tire is made for the front and a rear made for the rear.... what do you know about tires that all those over paid engineers do not ?

just wonder is all

How do you determine when an engineer is overpaid??

:think:

Gary

Hey Kent,

Earl

Very well said Earl. I have my problems to. Just like 1joeranger, I have had to apologize for my way of thinking or actions and assuming the worse or the best. I am glad that you posted here again. I feel like the instigator here. Did not mean to though, so please forgive me also.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

There are a couple of differences in front and rear tires one being tread design the other being the way the cords are overlapped. the rear tire pushes and the front stops the major forces are in opposite directions. You could probably run ether tire in ether position and probably not notice the difference but for maximum performance and longest life I run them in the recommended position. I run avon venom mt90 b 16 74h on the front because it makes a major difference in the way the bike handles

Never took that into consideration. Thanks for sharing that, makes perfect sense.

I got my new Avons today. Front and rear. Now when I get over this shoulder injury ,,,,, I wish I had one of those Harbor Freight red tire changers like Freebird has. If anyone has a slightly used one and wants to sell it ???? James Darrell Fultz 1-606-286-2078

Fuzzy