IGNORED

Flourescent Garage Lights

Squidley

Just to make some folks jealous: I have 3 @ 8-foot dual bulbs and 2 @ regular 4-foot (dual bulb) fixtures in my garage. In mild weather they're superb. Cold weather... well, eventually they put out a few lumens so you can see, but it's not stellar. I figure around 600 watts or so. Love it.

:lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb:

Just to make some folks jealous: I have 3 @ 8-foot dual bulbs and 2 @ regular 4-foot (dual bulb) fixtures in my garage. In mild weather they're superb. Cold weather... well, eventually they put out a few lumens so you can see, but it's not stellar. I figure around 600 watts or so. Love it.

I used to have 8 footers in the garage, but Home Depot stopped carrying them, and I couldn't find anything on the web. So I don't think they're available any longer. 4' only. If you do know where they have a few 8' tubes left, consider yourself lucky and go buy them out. I had to switch the the 4's.... I also went to the daylight tubes. I now wear sunblock and shades when I'm in the garage for any length of time... :) ...

I have five eight foot w/4-4' tube lights. They are fairly new and are using the T8 bulbs in daylight brightness. They do the job in my shop and pull less power than the T12s. My walls and ceiling are painted white to help with the lighting. They are available at Home Depot.

:farmer:

I bought the 4' duals at Wally World. They are the "Cold Start" model. I changed from the T12 to the Daylight F32T8 bulbs in all the housings and get a great light from them

I have two sets on each side of the garage and two more sets over the work bench. They fire right up in the coldest temps all winter with no delay.

Anyway, works for me.

But if you're looking for a LOT of lights checking Craigslist is a good idea. I see a lot of stripped out fixures with the 4 light set up in my area all the time. Worth checking out.

Mike

According to my local electrician, 8' tubes are still available and will be for quite a while yet, but they are being phased out. From what he told me, what manufacturers are doing is making the replacement tube so expensive that it is more cost effective to buy new fixtures that use the 4' t-8 and t-5 bulbs. The business I work for has all 8' tubes in the shop and just this past week we picked up a box of replacement tubes from the local building supply store.

Hey All,

I have a question about the 4' flourescent type fixtures that many put up in the garage, I am looking for a good quality reasonably priced set up...can you help a brother out??

If you are planning to be back in Michigan with a truck, I'll hook ya up. I have about 30- 4' 4 lite T-8 120v fixtures piled up behind the garage.:thumbsup2:

Just make sure you get the electronic start (cold start) if your garage isn't always warm because the others burn out bulbs fast when trying to start and it's cold. I'm not sure if the old fashioned ones are even available anymore but they were 10 years ago when I built my garage. After a couple of years of replacing bulbs all the time I replaced them and haven't replaced a bulb since then. The good ones are available at Wal-mart for about 10.00.

Thanks folks,

I bought the "Cheap" 4' T12 at Lowes for $10, they didn't hardly want to start and I'm in Texas for cryin out loud! I have had several of the members send me PM's and mention the T8's are the ones to go with and fixtures in the $25 to $30 range. Thats fine too as I dont want hassles and will pay for a better quality fixture so I dont have to "Tap the light" to get it to illuminate.

Do appreciate all the suggestions....:thumbsup2:

Just had to chime in

I've got 5 - 8 foot HD's in the garage. I took them out of somewhere 12 years ago and if the ballasts start going I'll replace the entire fixture with 8 foot T8's.

HD's are THE thing for maximum light and they ignite in 0 degree weather, no flickering and no waiting. I guess the down side is that the a ballast costs about $30

Buddy,

I went to Home Depot.com last night and those are on my list of 3 that seem to meet the requirements. Do you have these at your house, and if so have you had any issues?