IGNORED

Running red light in Illinois

KDFranzen

I don't know if this has been posted on here yet or not but a new law in Illinois now allows a motorcycle to LEGALLY run a red light if it hasn't changed after waiting for 2 minutes. The law went into effect Jan. 1st 2012. Just a little FYI for people that don't know.

I don't know if this has been posted on here yet or not but a new law in Illinois now allows a motorcycle to LEGALLY run a red light if it hasn't changed after waiting for 2 minutes. The law went into effect Jan. 1st 2012. Just a little FYI for people that don't know.

Is that using your watch or Barney's???

I wondered if anyone had noticed. We have a similar law in Wisconsin, but you can be sure that the cops don't know about it. I keep a copy of the statute in my wallet, and have run the red lights on numerous occasions with my bike. I'm just wondering how long it will take before I have to show it.

Steve

Hi Kevin.

I'm not aware that this is legal in Indiana. (Could be and I am simply unaware, but I don't think so.) However, we can turn right on red after a stop then do a U turn unless it's posted otherwise. Not the best solution, but better than growing old just sitting there.

O live on the Illinois Indiana state line near terre haute, channel

10 had a news story claiming both Indiana and Illinois had mc redligjt law take effect on jan 1.

Not that matters here, my sheriff rides to and live around the corner he had told me more than once to not mess with waiting on a couple of the problem lights in our town when riding. State has never been able to get one of the lights to trip proper for a motorcycle.

But glad it is official on record now.

Now legal in Texas too. no time frame

But do I hate doing that. I have two lights leaving my neighborhood that won't trip to make a left turn. The intersections are busy so I have waited awhile. When I do go thru the red light I have been honked at by the opposing traffic. Once I was chased by a cage to the next light who chewed me out refusing to let me explain. ( I took his picture, see my other post on squelching road rage by taking their picture).

SC says 120 seconds.

IF you read the law it say that you have to wait a reasonable amount of time, therefore the police officer will determine if you gave it a reasonable amount of time or not. Glad to have it but a little wary of it.

Maybe someone here can tell me but why can't they just set the sensitivity on the light to a motorcycle?

majority of traffic lights are controlled by inductive loop technology...often the 'footprint' of a motorcycle isn't sufficient to trigger the field...i read somewhere that if you stop the engine and restart it, the magnetics in the starter might trigger the inductive loop?!

Illinois: 3.5. In municipalities with less than 2,000,000 inhabitants, after stopping as required by paragraph 1 or 2 of this subsection, the driver of a motorcycle or bicycle, facing a steady red signal which fails to change to a green signal within a reasonable period of time because of a signal malfunction or because the signal has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle or bicycle due to the vehicle's size or weight, shall have the right to proceed, after yielding the right of way to oncoming traffic facing a green signal, subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign as required by Section 11-1204 of this Code. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=097-0627

This is intended for the intersection where you stop and no other traffic is present, I know common sense.

When you stop at a red light you want your bike directly over the cuts ( over the sensor) , they are cut for cars in a square , if you stop in the middle it probably won't detect you. The loop detects the electrical pulses and it throws the switch to the timer for the lights.