IGNORED

Spammers

Freebird

I don't know if it is because of the shopping season or what but I am getting slammed with spammers trying to join the forum. I typically block about 4 or 5 a week but right now, I'm intercepting about 20 per day. They try to create bogus accounts, mostly using Gmail and a few Yahoo. I have a system in place that looks at several variables and automatically places suspect requests to join into a moderation hold. I then have to check them and determine if they are legit or spammers. It's not a bit deal but there are just a LOT lately.

I hope that none slip through the cracks but if so, I will delete them as soon as I see them posting any trash. Please know that even if one slips through, they have no access to your email addresses or other personal information unless you have actually posted it. The members list and etc. are restricted to supporting members.

There are automated programs now that try to create accounts.

aka spambots..

They've gotten sophisticated enough that if 2 or more of them get in from the same source, they will post and answer each other.

so they are bots with intrapersonal communcation disorder ... LOL !

Freebird,

How would you like to be notified if one does manage to register and post?

Click the "Report Post" triangle? Send a PM to someone? Send someone an email?

Probably "report post" would be the best way. That way it will go to all the moderators and whoever gets it first can handle it.

I'm surprised that's all you get. A couple years ago I set up a forum for our STAR chapter. As soon as google found it I was getting 10 or more/day.

I eventually disabled self registration all together. Now if someone wants an account they have to call me.