IGNORED

Other hobby, thought some might enjoy the videos...

Scooter Bob

We bought this rusty old engine in September, and have been puttsin' with it ever since. It's a 1920 vintage IHC model M, 1-1/2 hp at 650 rpms. Just got it running a little over a week ago. This engine had a very worn egg shaped bore when I got her. Had a new sleeve tube machined and fitted to the IHC sleeve and then fitted to the old piston with new rings. Engine was very stiff, so I used my Fairbanks Morse ZD to turn it for a while before trying to light the M.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Had a few other issues to work though along the way, but here it is running on the magneto even.:D

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I wonder how long it will take for everyone else living here to get tired of me starting it up every day? :scratchchin:

Thanks for posting that. I love watching and hearing those old engines run, especially the hit and miss ones. I had a newer model IHC than that one but ended up selling it a couple of years ago. I use to get it running and when the water started to steam I told the kids it was a hot dog cooker....LOL

Sure looks like a lot of valve lash?

Ya, but it's right. I suspect in the day they weren't that good at laying out and making cams. It has a big wide cam with a lot of lift, gets timed to the crank, and then you adjust the lash so that it closes at the proper time according to a mark on the flywheel. I've seen several others and they all run with that much clearance.

That's some interesting valve linkage there!

did you notice how much valve lash there is!? (oops i now see someone had already mentioned that) i am a big fan of simplicity and this fits the bill..... i really like the old hit & miss engines as well.....thanks for shraing