There is no ONE definite answer !

He could be;

• landed back on the roof,
  • still in the air,
  • on the ground,
  • on an awning, balcony or any other object or person below,
  • in the hospital
  • in the morgue!

OR BACK HOME TRYING TO FORGET ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING!!!!!!

So a man was on a roof, and jumped off.

Where was he when he jumped?

The statement says that he WAS on a roof. Was is past tense, so it is ovious that he is no longer on the roof.

So to answer the question asked, the answer would be "somewhere other than on the roof".

Now to take the other logical approach, to jump means to gain height or according to Merriam-Webster "To spring into the air". Therefor he would have to be above the roof.

Even if he jumped down from the roof He would have still been above it for some period of time till he cleared the edge of the roof. IF he did not "spring into the air" to be airborne above the roof for at least a moment, then he would have stepped off the rood and not jumped.

So there you have it.....

Splained so even a cave man can get it.......:whistling::duck:

Okay.... my turn to leap into the fray.... so to speak....

..... to jump means to gain height or according to Merriam-Webster "To spring into the air".

The original post was :

"So a man was on a roof, and jumped off."

It doesn't just say that he jumped up but specifically "jumped off". Didn't step off the roof.... didn't jump up (or he would have landed back on the roof).

So... going back to the original post :

"So a man was on a roof, and jumped off.

Where was he when he jumped?"

The first sentence is the key to where he was when he jumped, and direction ("off") is a misdirection (sort of like Carl's u-turns on every group ride). If you read the question... "Where was he when he jumped".... it doesn't ask where he was after he jumped or during the jump, or where he landed... it asks specifically where he was when he jumped. Clearly at the moment he jumped he was on the roof as was stated in the first sentence.

Problem solved.

Off only means no longer in contact with, it does not imply to the ground or some other object, only that he was no longer in contact with the roof. If he only jumped straight up he is still off the roof till he lands. Since jump means spring into the air, he has not technically jumped until he is no longer in contact with the roof.

So I stick with my answer of "above the roof", since the moment that his motion becomes a jump he must still be above the roof.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......:happy-emoticon:

Anybody do book binding,,, we may have a book by the time we find the answer,,,,, although some of the arguments look fairly well thought out,,, especially Don's,,,, but is he right???? after all, if you think about it,, he was in the air, after he jumped, for how else would he be in the air?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Really quite seasonal and logical... first he was a bit early, second he was next to the chimney.

But that still doesn't explain how he can go down a chimney in a red suit and come out clean. And just exactly what DO they feed those reindeer? ('cause I want some...)

Where was he when he jumped?

He was at the place he was, just before he jumped.

It is all about English language. Before he jumped he was on the roof, after he jumped he was off the roof. But the question asked "Where was he WHEN he jumped?"

This is a transitional period and he can be considered both on and off the roof, much like Schrodinger's cat can be considered both alive and dead.

But a further answer would be above the roof, because if it were before when he was standing on the roof, or the instant after he jumped off the roof or in the transitional stage of jumping, in all those cases he would still be above the roof.

It is all about English language. Before he jumped he was on the roof, after he jumped he was off the roof. But the question asked "Where was he WHEN he jumped?"

This is a transitional period and he can be considered both on and off the roof, much like Schrodinger's cat can be considered both alive and dead.

But a further answer would be above the roof, because if it were before when he was standing on the roof, or the instant after he jumped off the roof or in the transitional stage of jumping, in all those cases he would still be above the roof.

Wow,, now that's getting right down deep, almost sorry I asked the question, now I'm more confused than before..... but, you may be right,,, who knows???

Wow,, now that's getting right down deep, almost sorry I asked the question, now I'm more confused than before..... but, you may be right,,, who knows???

Sorry, I've just been looking for an excuse to mention Schrodinger's cat in a post for some time.:whistling:

Now if I can find a thread where mentioning Rock, Paper, Sissors, Lizard, Spock will make sense, it will make my day!!