IGNORED

Venture v Cow, no one wins

imagesinthewind

So, Tom was riding home on a back windy road, at 10pm Monday night.

A stray cow was in the road, black angus, and Tom didn't even see it to brake.

He spent the night in the ICU (concussion, small bleeds in the brain) but the cow didn't survive at all. Tom is much better, bleeds stopped and he's been sitting watching baseball and playing videos games so the brain doesn't seem to be hurting. Sore, but only take Tylenol.

The front forks on the Venture are bent toward the rear, so we are going to part it out. The front faring is destroyed but all pieces from the front of the seat down are good.

He's debating on riding again or not. I'm trying to push him to keep riding. He enjoys it, good fuel mileage and I was starting to enjoy riding with him.

Stupid cow. . .

That sucks so badly that the cow got in his way:bang head:. But am glad he is doing ok. I hope he keeps riding, but it is a decision that may take him some time to finalize. Its great that you support him in whatever he does...

Brian

my prayers go out to you and tom. a bike can be replaced. a life not as easy. glad he made it through this. i hit a small ponny once with a 1964 f 100 pick up but i dont think i would ever want to hit a cow on a motorcycle.

HE,s lucky to be alive.. hope the farmer has good ins. live stock at large . there ins. has to pay all losses, and damages when livestock gets out

Not in Colorado. We're a free range state. Dogs have to be on a leash, but cattle can roam anywhere they want in the state. The rancher can actually sue us for the future value of the animal. Not that he will, but he can!

Wish the reverse were true, we only carried Liability on it. Would be nice to get the cash to replace it. Ah well, he's okay, that's what matters.

Glad to hear he is doing alright. He was lucky.

The cattle laws can drive ya nuts. Back when I was in transportation safety we had a driver in a semi come over a rise on a two lane road at 2:00 am and there was some ground fog along a creek than ran under the highway. In that ground fog there were three, yes.....black angus standing in the roadway. The driver never saw them until the he was looking at a head popping up over his hood. He got knocked around pretty good and when he came to a stop he was on the wrong side of a barb wire fence and in the middle of a corn field.

He saw a farm house just down the road and headed over to it to find help. The woman that answered the door said her husband was out trying to round up a few head of cattle and had got out of the pens. She radioed her hubby and he called the Sheriffs department.

Our insurance ended up paying for our truck and trailer repairs, tow bills, cargo loss, HIS COWS for current value (and disposal of said creatures), repairs to his fence and damage to his crops.

Under Nebraska law (at that time), he was responsible for controlling his cattle BUT as he had been aware that his cattle had got out BUT he was making due effort to recover them he was not at fault or responsible for any damage.

If he had been in bed asleep and not known about the loose cattle it would have been on his tab instead of ours.

Weird world ya know.

But again, hope he covers fully and quicky and decides to continue riding. If not, I can understand why.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Sounds familiar. We carry full coverage on EVERYTHING, bikes, cars, trucks, whether they're paid for or not. My last accident but one was when the back end of my F150 broke loose coming around a curve in the rain. Ended up in the ditch after having sideswiped a tree. Truck was paid for but we'd have had to cover the damage ourselves if we did not have full coverage. My last accident also taught me the value of the PIP coverage. I spent 10 months on medical leave. If it had not been for that coverage, finances around here would have gotten real "interesting". It's also why I added short and long term disability insurance to my medical pkg. at work.

Around here the more common cause of animal accidents are deer. I almost joined that select lil group yesterday when an entire herd decided to cross the road almost directly in front of me. The interesting thing there was that while I was far enough away to stop before hitting them, I wasn't too sure about the 18 wheeler that was tail-gating me at the time was going to be able to stop before hitting me! In a contest between a Nissan and Peterbuilt, the Nissan loses!

Hope Tom decides to get back on the ole "horse". I go nuts without an occasional run on the Beasties.

Not in Colorado. We're a free range state. Dogs have to be on a leash, but cattle can roam anywhere they want in the state. The rancher can actually sue us for the future value of the animal. Not that he will, but he can!

Wish the reverse were true, we only carried Liability on it. Would be nice to get the cash to replace it. Ah well, he's okay, that's what matters.

This same thing happened to a participant in the Iron Butt 5000 last year. A rider hit a Black Angus cow at about 2:00 am on a back road in Kansas (IIRC). No skid marks at all. Messed him up pretty badly and killed the cow. The rider has climbed back on the (iron)horse since healing up.

Hope Tom is doing better.

RR

Thanks for all the well wishes. Tom is sitting on the couch, working from home today.

At work tomorrow. Now to deal with the bike.

Here's what it looks like, not bad considering. . .it didn't skid. Just hit and fell over.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5961930452_b578a6f00d.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/5961931084_1dcb225807.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/5961375389_57b4dbeb3f.jpg

Anyone need anything?

Im certainly sorry to hear this news.Ill send prayers for a speedy and full recovery.4 years ago the wife and i hit a full size horse. We both layed in the road for a few seconds and were able to get up.Turns out no broken bones.The 05 venture was totaled thou. It took alittle bit before i wanted to ride again so i know where he is coming from. In time he may ease back in the saddle. Thanks Chris:fingers-crossed-emo

I think any time you go down hard you have to think things over. The last time I was sure I had quit but made the mistake of talking to this bunch of nuts for a while. I would have gotten back on sooner or later but they made me realize it would be sooner.

Glad Tom is ok. Bikes can be replaced, loved ones can't. As much as I like riding at night I tend to avoid it if possible and try to keep to well traveled roads when I do. 2 years ago I came across a black bear munching on some road kill, then had a close call with a deer a couple of weeks later. Both in the dark. I changed my commute route after that when going home late. I don't even think about night riding in October before deer hunting season around here.

a few years back in Dunnville ON, A truck swerved to miss a cow on the road and caused the oncoming car to swerve to miss the truck.

That car lost control and slammed into the car following the truck killing several people.

In your case I'm Glad Tom was OK!

I do need the vent cover on the RIGHT side of the dash panel (beside the speaker) for my 88. Did it survive?

PM me with details!

Edited by Trader