IGNORED

How LOW can YOU go?!

Hi folks, we just got back from another road trip and on the second day out, found ourselves in one of those cliff hanger rides on the back roads, where your GPS says there is a gas station, but it's no longer there and the 'next' one is erhm beyond your range.. Tempting fate we continued on with few options on this long stretch of back roads..

By the time we got to a gas station, we were on fumes.. The F counter showed 23.7 Miles, and we pumped in 4.8 Gallons of fuel into the empty tanks.. that means we had what, .2 gallons left sloshing around? I had always been curious to know just how far I could go on reserve, and I just found out..

At least now I know.. To be honest, it actually gave me more confidence to ride the tank lower than I normally would...

What if we had run out of fuel? Well the emergency plan was that since my bike burns slightly more fuel than my buddy, we would have pulled the hose off at the petcock and drained what ever I had left into an empty drink container and put that fuel into my buddy's bike and see how far he could go on it.. prolly a few more miles further and closer to a gas station etc.. and he would come back with some fuel to get me there as well.. (contingency plans abound....)

What's the lowest you got your tank down to?

T

but ya all gotta remember that he probably figured with Imperial gallons here in Canada, the US gallon is substantially smaller. (1 imperial gallon = 1.200 949 925 5 gallon [uS, liquid]):backinmyday:

We in Canada are all messed up here if youre older than 40 or so we still remember using Imperial Gallons, but back in the mid 70's Canada converted to the metric system like most of the rest of the world, so we are always converting temps and measurements back and forth. And then we also have to try to figure out what our neighbours to the south are doing with their smaller gallon, still using miles, and farenheit.........:think: :smile5:

Brian

Guest Slab_Ryder

It worked out to be 302 kms or 187.6 miles on that tank. The 4.8 Gallons were US Gallons (actually pumped from a US Filling Station, in the US no less!)

Edited by Slab_Ryder

based on what you told us you probably could have ridden another 25 miles. I have taken mine to 5.4 gallon on a fill up. No because I wanted to but we found ourselves in the same situation as you. Usually you get really conservative with your riding when you get in that situation and that helps also.

Obviously you would not have gotten that much more on the highway running faster speeds.

bob

We were coming back form Deals gap last year and the fuel light came on so we jumped off the interstate on a road we always took and knew for a fact there where several gas stations, however we found out none of them were open at 2:00 in the morning so 47 miles later we finally found an open one and put in 5.4 gallons of gas. I do not want to do that again.

On long trips I carry an extra gallon of fuel just in case. Knowing that I have the extra fuel, I have push the limit and have pumped 5.8 gallons into the tank (modified). I have run into the same situation where the fuel station was either not open or just closed.

67 - in what and where do you carry the fuel?

I have saw a small tank at work that some of the volunteer firefighters have. The tanks are made of aluminum and hold about a half gallon or so. They have good tight,sealed lids, and you could get a couple in your side bags. The firefighters carry chain saw gas in there pickups with them. They say they are around $20.00 I think, if memory serves me right. But carrying gas in any way would not be that safe. I am wondering how/what would keep them from expanding and bursting.:confused24:

Fuzzy

Ahh OK that would make sense.. 5 Gallons Imp vice 6 gallons US.. Good to know as my bike is actually a US bike with both MPH and KPH speedo but a Miles ODO..

Still, I wouldn't have wanted to push it any further.. these bikes aren't the easiest things to push around!! ;)

Here's the item one person asked about.. Tour Tank (and the Tour Tube)

http://www.tourtank.com/TourTanks.html

You could probably mount it onto the passenger HF bars on the rear seat and pipe it through..

After riding all day on a weekend headed home, I wanted to get gas at a specific location so I ended up extending my F counter up to 25 miles ....but I was really getting nervous and kept on looking on my dash instead of concentrating on the road. Being this low on gas, the F counter is a nice reminder but it is all guess work from there and beyond. Once the bike starts to sputter, you will end up on the side of the road. From now on, no more than 25 miles for me on the F counter. On a normal day, once the F counter appears...I fill up as soon as possible. :). Ride Safe.

but ya all gotta remember that he probably figured with Imperial gallons here in Canada, the US gallon is substantially smaller. (1 imperial gallon = 1.200 949 925 5 gallon [uS, liquid]):backinmyday:

We in Canada are all messed up here if youre older than 40 or so we still remember using Imperial Gallons, but back in the mid 70's Canada converted to the metric system like most of the rest of the world, so we are always converting temps and measurements back and forth. And then we also have to try to figure out what our neighbours to the south are doing with their smaller gallon, still using miles, and farenheit.........:think: :smile5:

Brian

so well put, I still think in the imperial system...metric system is something I hope I forget as I age :)

I have actually gotten 217 miles out of a tank on my 06 RSV. Much of that was on back roads with top end speed of 55-60, but I was very pleased to go that far. I was told from several RSV friends that they usually only get 180+ so I was pushing the limits to see what I could do. Ok also because there were no available gas stations as well...

I have also seen the 1 gallon hard plastic fuel cans that fit into your saddlebags. Amazon sells them as well as numerous other bike sites. Don't buy the one specifically for Harley because it costs $20 more, but I think the average can goes for about $40. I know several folks that have them and love the piece of mind having them. My recommendaton would be to use them in a fill up regularly to change out the fuel and relieve any built up pressure.

:225:

Is there any difference in the Royal Star Venture tank size than the Royal Star Tour Deluxe ? I am thinking the RSV tank is bigger ? Can not remember...Looked it up, yes the RSV has a 6 gallon and the Tour Deluxe has a 5.3 tank.... So there, answered my own question for those who where thinking the same thing, and also could not remember. Now I guess that makes me useful after all.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD