IGNORED

I got the C.R.A.B.S.

Beau-Kat

I got the C.R.A.B.S.

Can't Ride A Bike Syndrome

I'm a confessed bike addict and literally ride every day.

But, I haven't ridden a bike in over 5 weeks! However, I really do have such a good reason.

After a year of extensive paperwork and travel, my wife and I just adopted our 16 month old son, Simon Joseph. He is considered special needs - Albinism. He is just beautiful!

We are in our early 50s and have four grown children.

So, we are starting over.

I'm gonna try to attach his photo.

Rusty

Yeah, I hear that.

My wife already told me to look in to maybe finidng a sidecar.

Could put one on either of the Ventures, but I sure wish they had a reverse...

What did you get to replace your 99 that got banged up?

On another note, I'm trying to decide if Art or Simon have the whitest hair. Ha!

I guess I'll have to go see Art soon.

We brought Simon home (from China) on 6-30-11. To try to get Simon settled in with us and get all of his medical checkups done, I've taken off work until 8-04-11.

I should be done with work (i.e. have my replacements trained) within a year. I've been liking staying home with my wife and Simon.

The one in front is the banged up one and the one in the rear is the replacement.

I think Art has him beat out, we rode last week and were just talking about you. Give Art a shout he will be glad to hear from you.

I just became a grandpa last week so I have another little one to spoil but I get to send mine home at the end of the day.

Congrats again.

Some better photos of Simon and a little info.

At about one month old, Simon was abandoned at the entrance to an orphanage in Zhenzhou, Henan, China on March 27 of last year.

Our daughter began volunteering in that orphanage last summer.

One day, she was emailing photos of all of the kids there. She named them American names to identify with them and keep up with them more easily. So, she actually named him Simon.

Although I grew up in foster homes myself, understand how God took care of me that way, love kids, and work in youth ministry today, my wife and I had not even had the remotest consideration or discussion of any kind of adoption, my wife was just reviewing all of the photos of the kids our daughter was caring for.

Oh well, once my wife saw Simon's photo...she just immediately teared up and crumbled...and that was it! I saw his photo, talked to my wife and crumbled myself about three days later. God worked His miracles and we now have Simon forever.

The last photo is of us at Lucy's restaurant in Guangzhou China.

They served cheeseburgers and fries. Oh, it was good!

Great story. You are at the beginning of a great adventure. :happy65::happy65:

I adopted a little Korean girl when I was in the AF in 1976 while I was stationed in Japan. She has grown into a beautiful young lady.

All these little ones are such blessings.

Good luck

Kent and Kerrie

P.S. Don't they make car seats for motorcycles?

I had all my kids riding on my motorcycle, sitting in front of me, as soon as they could sit up. But those were different times then.

I have never heard of a good reason NOT to ride a bike.........until NOW! Yours is the best reason Ive ever heard. Congrats on being a new Dad again and enjoy Simon, he is a treasure!

Brian

Ditto....Let the adventure begin!

My sister and brother in law adopted my niece 12 years ago. I thought they were crazy at their age of 50. If you are just 1/2 as fortunate as they, you will be eternally blessed. She is the love of my life as is anyone who meets here.

PS: Since no one here knows me I guess I can admit I got a little teary eyed when I saw his picture too.

Hello: Bless you both. It takes special people to do what you are doing. My wife and I have been raising our almost 6 year old since he was 18 months old. We still enjoy riding when we can. All documents in place for the benefit of our Grandson. Take care..Mark

Hey Rusty..... Good news about the new son! We white haired guys are the best!

Yeah, I hear that.

Could put one on either of the Ventures, but I sure wish they had a reverse...

What did you get to replace your 99 that got banged up?

On another note, I'm trying to decide if Art or Simon have the whitest hair. Ha!

I guess I'll have to go see Art soon.

We brought Simon home (from China) on 6-30-11. To try to get Simon settled in with us and get all of his medical checkups done, I've taken off work until 8-04-11.

I should be done with work (i.e. have my replacements trained) within a year. I've been liking staying home with my wife and Simon.

This is such a wonderful thing that you and your wife have done. Simon is so cute. Your lives will be so rich with love now watching Simon grow up.

I admire your decision and hope over the years you keep us posted on Simon as he grows up.

God bless you.

Yama Mama

• 7 months later...

Haven't been on this site in a while.

Things are slowing down some now, so I thought I'd share an update on Simon.

Simon is now 2 years old.

Growing like a weed and seems to be very smart too.

Sticks to me like velcro.

He rides (with a helmet, very slowly, and only on our subdivision streets) about two miles on my Sportster everyday.

Trying to include a couple of recent photos.

Rusty

Side cars can be a lot of fun, especially with kids. I put a side car on a Yamaha XS1100 back in the early 80's when my kids were little. The side car I had took about 5-minutes to connect or disconnect from the bike once it was all set up. The side car had a roll bar, seat belt, and convertible top with zip-in windows.

Riding with a side car is a whole new experience.:backinmyday:

Simon would look really good riding in a side car!:cool10:

After a year of extensive paperwork and travel, my wife and I just adopted our 16 month old son, Simon Joseph. He is considered special needs - Albinism. He is just beautiful!

We are in our early 50s and have four grown children.

So, we are starting over.

I'm gonna try to attach his photo.

Rusty

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::clap2:

Yeah, I hear that.

Could put one on either of the Ventures,.

Thought you might like to know Barend has a 1st Gen sidecar he's not using since he just got that new Valkerie.

Congrats on the recent addition to the family.

Best reason in the world for not riding, he is a cutie and I am sure you guys will do a fine job of raising him even at your advanced age.........I have thought about it, but health issues have been in the way for a while, now we are too old to start over again with a youngun.