IGNORED

Longest Non-Stop Ride on Record

Bobby G

I rode from Atlanta to DC last Thursday straight through, with only 1 long (1 1/2 hour) stop, other than gas and restroom stops. Just about did me in. 681 miles in just under 14 hours.

Made me wonder what the record is for a continuous ride with only periodic breaks for gas, food, restroom, etc. Anybody know?

How long was your longest ride in hours and miles?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't be any record for this group, but I rode 1100 miles in 18 hours from Houston to Denver. Last summer I had a week's trip with 700, 612, 678, and 927 mile days. Last week I did 630 miles for lunch. I like to do 600-700 mile rides a couple times a month.

Dave

I don't know exact details, but there is a legend of a guy who went from San Diego To Jax Fla, non stop. I think he had fuel plumbed in from a trailer and a hose runnin out from his britches. Like I say don't know if it's true but I heard it somwhere.:7_6_3[1]:

Don't know if it is the longest but I found this:

Kevin and Julia Sanders (Great Britain): KEVIN AND JULIA'S HOMEPAGE

world circumnavigation on a motorcycle (19 days 8 hrs 25 min)

trans-America ride on a motorcycle (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina)

If you are in the mood to follow something, this pair is currently circumnavigating North America. They are doing about 700 miles, every day, for about 27,000 miles. Follow them on Spotwalla. (Change the History to All on the left) They also have an active thread at the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum.

The other day, a pannier support broke and jammed in the bike's spokes, sending the rider flying. Day before yesterday, they were stopped by a blizzard in a mountain pass.

Dave

Brother in-law went from his home outside of Ottumwa, Iowa to Key West, Florida and back over the Memorial day weekend (3 days, 6:00 am Saturday to 9:00pm Monday) 3 years ago just to see if he could. Had 3465 mile on the bike when he got back. Took a 6 gal tank strapped it to the back seat and had it tee'd into his fuel line. Would run that 6 gal out then turn on his tank. Said he stopped about every 500 to 550 miles for gas and put it all on his charge card so we could see.

Bryan

a lot younger then Biloxi, MS. to Albuquerque, NM. 1500 mi. 30 hrs.

Rained every bit of the way, was running from a hurricane along the gulf coast,

that turned west and tracked over Huston, TX then followed me home.

The second I got home and parked the bike skies cleared and the rain stopped.

Have definitely changed my riding habits.

I did 950 miles from OKC to Milwaukee in 14 hours... No stops other than refueling and releaving....

That's an average of almost 68 miles per hour without stopping.

It amazes me how anyone can average that speed for that length of time, not to mention, where can ya travel at that speed for that many miles?? For us up here in Canuck land, that's appx 110 km/h ... heck, most of our highways are max 100 km/h. I'd suggest you were doing some excessive speeds most of the time on that trip!!

They call me marshmallow butt.

My longest ride is still at 220 miles in one day broken into 3 separate segments, early morning, mid afternoon, late evening.

Hahaha the marshmallow butt should so be in your signature...awesome!

Frank

I don't know exact details, but there is a legend of a guy who went from San Diego To Jax Fla, non stop. I think he had fuel plumbed in from a trailer and a hose runnin out from his britches. Like I say don't know if it's true but I heard it somwhere.:7_6_3[1]:

More than a legend. He did it on a wingabago pulling a trailer of fuel and the mentioned pee tube. I can find the details at home (on the road now).

One of the LD gods ran from Prudoe Bay to Key West in a few days. Broke the previous record by over a day. Will find details this evening.

My best is Fond du Lac, WI to San Antonio in 24 hours. About 1350 miles. Hope to do a BBG later this year. Bun Burner Gold - 1500 mi in 24 hrs.

RR

That's an average of almost 68 miles per hour without stopping.

It amazes me how anyone can average that speed for that length of time, not to mention, where can ya travel at that speed for that many miles?? For us up here in Canuck land, that's appx 110 km/h ... heck, most of our highways are max 100 km/h. I'd suggest you were doing some excessive speeds most of the time on that trip!!

Probbly a little speeding but >

Oklahoma 75mph interstate speed limit

Missouri 70mph " " "

Iowa 70mph " " "

Minnesota 70mph " " "

If he drove 76mpg "average" for 12 1/2 hours it could be done. And around here most drive 5 to 10mph over on most all roads. Our interstates "95%" are NON stop.

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

i just read reccently a person did 8000 in 6 day's,about 1334 a day.theres no way he could have done this safely,iron butt or not.i like riding but lifes to short to get killed on the highway. i drive a truck for a living and know first hand driving while deprived of sleep is more dangours than dui.

Thinking of trying an iron butt later this year. Seattle to Redding and back in the same day.

Mike

It realy ain't that tough. my advice is go to the IBA web site and read the 29 tips and follow them. Sitting in the seat and turnin the grip will get it done but reading and following the advice of the "LD Gods" will make it easier and much more enjoyable. Welcome to the Madness. I got my Bun burnrer gold maped out and on the calender already.:7_6_3[1]:http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Edited by Herb In Texas
added link

and everyone followed him at great distance.

Back in the mid-80's, can't remember exact year, Hutchin's Motor Sports in Yucca Valley sponsored a California 500 and a California 1000 every summer. On one of the Cal 1000's I rode a Harley Davidson 110cc and ended up adding 1118 miles to the bike in under 44 hours. Even though I had a fairly new 86 Venture Royale I took the HD on a dare and bet. The squid that bet I couldn't do it lost 200.00.