Helmet Use?

craigatcsi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what kind of Ice Cream?

Road Runner Raspberry, my new favorite.

Vanilla ice cream with raspberry swirl thru out and then large chocolate chip like things with liquid raspberry inside, all jammed into a waffle cone.

Maybe better than Butter Pecan. :ice_awesome-vi46644

I have a scorpion half helmet that I wear most of the time. It's like putting on a ball cap so I don't have much excuse for not wearing it. I also use a 3/4 helmet when I need to use the intercom - CB.

There are times that I go without a lid, but not too often.

Road Runner Raspberry, my new favorite.

Vanilla ice cream with raspberry swirl thru out and then large chocolate chip like things with liquid raspberry inside, all jammed into a waffle cone.

Maybe better than Butter Pecan. :ice_awesome-vi46644

Now that would have to be pretty good since my favorite is Butter Pecan as well. :ice_awesome-vi46644

As to the original topic here Michigan requires a helmet so I wear one. Half helmet to be exact like the motor patrol here uses. But it's alway on my head regardless of the states requirements I visit. As to ATGATT I wear either a mesh jacket or a light weight nylontype most of the time. Thou I do at times ride with just a shirt & jeans. No flip flops or shorts here.

Larry.

Well we live in a "freedom of choice" state so wife and I ride with/out helmets. We have 1/2 helmets we have to wear in states that require it.

Wife has a bad neck and with the weight of the helmet and extra wind force on it, well she tires very quickly with it on. We have road 600 + miles in a day in "rural" Wisconsin (Non-helmet state) site seeing and no fatigue. In the same respect 200 + miles in a day in "rural" Missouri (helmet state) site seeing and ready to get off cause of fatigue.

But "we" will ride with anyone regardless if you have ATGATT or not.:thumbsup2:

"We will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. We will judge them only on their conduct as bikers." :clap2:

(But we will not ride with anyone who is under 4 feet tall or over 7 feet tall, or who wears jewelry has tattoos or eats more than we do. Must be between the age 35 to 50 cute and single female),,...... :yikes: :buttkick: Ouch,,,, stop hitting me,, OK disregard the last part.:innocent-emoticon:

Bryan

ATGATT all the time. It has nothing to do with the govt telling me I have to wear a helemt. It's because I like my brain in my head if I wreck. I'm also allergic to asphalt so mesh or textile gear and boots. For those protesting against the MAN and not wearing gear let us know how that goes if you go down. Wife and I were out riding yesterday and I was shocked at how many were out riding and wearing shorts. I can't imagine how bad it would be if they went down.

I love the guys in tank tops, shorts and flip flops.

Pretty much all the time modular, mesh coat,gloves boots.

Always wear full face, I do not feel safe without one. Going without one is not worth the risk to me. That said I do NOT want the state telling me or anyone else they must wear one.

Jeff

Always wear full gear (ATGATT) regardless of temperature or where I'm going. If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride, and it's Never too hot to ride. When I was a pup back in the '60's there were times when I did not, and when my home state passed a helmet law, I complained as much as anybody, however by the time the law was repealed a few years later I'd got used to helmets and wear full face or modular ALL the time. Mesh gear in summer, full textile in winter, boots and gloves all the time as well. Spent to many years on a fire truck responding to wrecks and had a few myself and the combination convinced

me that riding without full gear just isn't worth it. Different strokes for different folks. It's your head and your hide. Me? I'm too old for asphalt rash if I can avoid it.

Very interesting thread, and I'll go ahead and add my 2 cents in also. I normally wear my FF modular, and it's probably my favorite. Second is the half helmet with leather lower padding zipped in, and a 3/4 once in awhile.

As to riding in states that don't require, I went without for about 100 miles in '07 through Utah while doing an Iron Butt with my son SoCal to Denver. About 10 minutes into taking the helmet off, it began to rain, and then it turned into hail for about 5 minutes. Think someone was trying to tell me something?! Anyhow, I enjoyed going without, but it was not smart on an Iron Butt. I had the complete opposite experience of what someone just wrote about. Going without more protection from the wind, it fatigued me more. I guess a difference is I normally wear a helmet, and I don't even notice a neck issue.

My 17 year-old son is riding now, so I am doing my best to encourage him to wear the proper gear by setting the example myself. Regardless of what I may or may not wear, I do insist he wear most of the ATGATT (I guess MoTGMoTT), but I'm the dad so I'm allowed to do that for at least another year.

Personal feeling is that no state should mandate the use of a helmet or any other gear for riding. One must assume the risk and address the issue to their own "comfort" level.

As for me, full face helmet, jacket, gloves, long pants and boots or a must! For any pilon that may be riding with me. It's my bike and I set the rules AND the example. If they do not want to wear the gear, walk!

Each one of us makes choices and it is not my "right" to make the choice for you, but I sure would hate to be the loved one that is picking "asphalt peas" out of your hide.

Guest scarylarry
Personal feeling is that no state should mandate the use of a helmet or any other gear for riding. One must assume the risk and address the issue to their own "comfort" level.

As for me, full face helmet, jacket, gloves, long pants and boots or a must! For any pilon that may be riding with me. It's my bike and I set the rules AND the example. If they do not want to wear the gear, walk!

Each one of us makes choices and it is not my "right" to make the choice for you, but I sure would hate to be the loved one that is picking "asphalt peas" out of your hide.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

"Quite honestly, if you don't want to ride with me because I don't wear gear up to your standard, it's not going to hurt my feelings. The friendship thing is a non issue as well. I don't want to be friends with anyone that makes such a broad, blind judgment on other riders."

That's fine. I respect your choice to not want to be friends with me -- one who makes such broad, blind judgement on other riders.

Now, please respect my choice to ride and befriend other riders who feel the same way I do about wearing helmets.

It seems as if we do get along well.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Always 100% of the time I wear a half helmet or shorty some may call it. Full face in colder weather and full helmet with shield in colder weather. Always wear my old cotton vest with patches. I am not for forcing people to wear helmets, but why make laws for people to wear seat belts in cages with air bags and safety features. Then why do people ride with out helmets ? I know it is your own freedom to do as you please, but it is a proven fact that helmets save you from brain damage or death. Yes it is very much more the comfortable with out it. But is it really worth it ? I would never vote for such a law, it is your choice I think, same as I believe it should be for the cages. I also wear my seat belt and have taught my children to do the same always. I vote against such a law as this. I also do not wear short pants and never liked them, I would vote against such a law to force me to wear short legged pants.

Fuzzy

PA is reviving the helmet law now. They want to require helmets, or require additional insurance if you do not wear one, and require special tags for riders under 21 years of age so they are easier to spot. My only thought is that these clowns be truthful about ALL of the studies and statistics instead of the selected few they do use.

No matter the helmet law, if some clown on a cell phone doing 50 mph through a red light hits you, and claims they didn't see you, it ain't gonna be good. How about these legislatures deal with reality on the roads? Legislating bikers won't resolve the other issues we ALL see on the roads that endanger we who ride. Insurance company studies suggest that distracted drivers cause 25 of ALL accidents. Imagine that!!!!

Personally, I wear a helmet because I learned from experience. Have destroyed two of them in my youth and still here to talk about it. I make my passengers wear one, too. It is my bike, my rules. If you don't like my rules, buy your own bike and ride the way your want.

:322::322:

I wear a full face helmet. You'll really appreciate one crossing through the Everglades on Tamiami Trail (old US 41) on your way to the Keys. Don't know how they get around that big RSTD windshield, but i get an average of 5 loud cracks on the helmet from the variety of large hard shell flying insects on that 80 mile stretch depending on the time of day and every time I think I'm glad that's not my head getting hit at 60 with that bug.

If it was only me I had to worry about I probably wouldn't wear one, but that is not the case. Have gotten so used to it, Its difficult for me to ride without one now.

Don't have to wear a helmet in Florida, but insurance is required to not wear a helmet.

I don't think you can or should legislate common sense. Someone told me a long time ago-- If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.....

RSTDdog

Guest scarylarry

You must be talking about the famous love bugs in southern Florida...

Even though I don't believe one should have to wear a helmet, this is one time of the year you better wear it or have a great dentist, cause you will need it for the cleaning..

"Quite honestly, if you don't want to ride with me because I don't wear gear up to your standard, it's not going to hurt my feelings. The friendship thing is a non issue as well. I don't want to be friends with anyone that makes such a broad, blind judgment on other riders."

That's fine. I respect your choice to not want to be friends with me -- one who makes such broad, blind judgement on other riders.

Now, please respect my choice to ride and befriend other riders who feel the same way I do about wearing helmets.

It seems as if we do get along well.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

The friendship comment kind of threw me for a loop. Because I choose to ride ATGATT and with others wearing ATGATT I'm not worthy of being friends with someone on here? I found this a pretty shallow comment.

The friendship comment kind of threw me for a loop. Because I choose to ride ATGATT and with others wearing ATGATT I'm not worthy of being friends with someone on here? I found this a pretty shallow comment.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I don't wear all the gear All the time but most of it most of the time and wouldn't be caught without my helmet law or not!!

Just so we're clear....

Because I choose to ride non-ATGATT I'm not worthy of riding with someone on here?

You make a judgement call about me, and it's okay. I do the exact same thing to you, and it's "pretty shallow".

As Nick says above "respect my choice.....".

Seriously, it's alright let it go. We each have different viewpoints, and that's okay.

Just so we're clear....

Because I choose to ride non-ATGATT I'm not worthy of riding with someone on here?

I don't think its a matter of not WORTHY. I think it's a matter of that someone doesn't want to put themselves in a situation where someone might be injured or killed because they didn't wear the gear (even though people have been killed wearing the proper gear as well)

To some, seeing that kind of thing, really effects them... emotionally, physically etc.. Add that it's happened to a friend into the mix and it could be very bad on them. There are some things that I avoid because I know how they will make me react. I think they just know that, if something were to happen to someone in the group, they would react badly to the situation so they are just trying to avoid the situation totally.

So I wouldn't take it as a slam that someone is NOT WORTHY.