IGNORED

Helmet Use?

craigatcsi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 16 I had an accident. I was wearing a helmet then...I turn 60 in July because I wore that helmet when I was 16...I wear long pants, helmet, gloves..always and a jacket 90% of the time, mesh in the summer, leather in the winter...ODJ >:backinmyday:

I wear a helmet (1/2) North Carolina sayes so, having said that ,I'd probably wear one even when not required but If you expect a helmet to save youe life in an accident well you just haven't read enough. for every "fact" about helmet saving lives there is another saying it not so. Just think you're out there on a 900 lb motorcycle and your sharing the road with vehicles that weigth between 2500 lbs to 40 ton and you count on 3/16" of plastic to save your life wow that's faith!!! but my life depends on how well I avoid those 2500 lb to 40 ton vehicles. plus if a helmet saves my life and turns me into a quadrapegic I want no part of it. Now all that protective gear you wear will save your skin but in an accident it may just allow you to have an open coffin!!

Guest scarylarry
I wear a helmet (1/2) North Carolina sayes so, having said that ,I'd probably wear one even when not required but If you expect a helmet to save youe life in an accident well you just haven't read enough. for every "fact" about helmet saving lives there is another saying it not so. Just think you're out there on a 900 lb motorcycle and your sharing the road with vehicles that weigth between 2500 lbs to 40 ton and you count on 3/16" of plastic to save your life wow that's faith!!! but my life depends on how well I avoid those 2500 lb to 40 ton vehicles. plus if a helmet saves my life and turns me into a quadrapegic I want no part of it. Now all that protective gear you wear will save your skin but in an accident it may just allow you to have an open coffin!!

Well said....

Remember guys the helmet will NOT stop the cage from hitting YOU...It WILL reduce the impact between your punkin and the pavement, curb, fender, etc. I spent several years doing fatality investigations for uncle sam. One area we studied was occupational falls. I have personally investigated the death of a 16 year old girl who fell off a 5 ft step ladder and bounced her head off a concrete floor. I does not take much of a hit on the head to do REAL damage. THAT is what the helmet is for. Can you get killed wearing a helment, sure. Are your odds better with a helmet? Absolutely!! Ya pays your nickel and ya takes your chances. As they used to say in the old "Bell Star" helmet days, if ya got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet....:322:

If you are riding in a State that does not require you to where a Helmet, how often do you wear yours?

Before anyone gives me the rant about how stupid it is to ride without one, I know it is unsafe and unwise.

We wear ours unless it is uncomfortably warm with it on. We LOVE the free feeling without them. It's also safer to wear full face, but we choose the half helmets because we don't like the enclosed feeling of the full face.

We don't see very many riders with helmets on when it is warm out - except for those on the Crotch Rockets. They are usually in full face and full leathers &/or body armor, even when it is 100 degrees!! I don't know how they do it.

craigr

Always ... All The Gear, All The Time :)

The danger, if not the discomfort, when riding in ho weather is from dehydration. At highway speeds, a good riding suit is actually fairly comfortable, but I accept that it is uncomfortably hot when you stop. That's why I always preferred two piece suits ... you can remove the jacket.

But traveling at 70 mph in 100F sunshine, while wearing a tee shirt can make you dangerously dehydrated very fast, to say nothing of sunstroke. A riding jacket, with decent ventilation, will give a good cooling effect while keeping you safe. If you pour a little water inside it occasionally you get additional cooling and no body water loss.

Drink lots and stay safe.

You must be talking about the famous love bugs in southern Florida...

Even though I don't believe one should have to wear a helmet, this is one time of the year you better wear it or have a great dentist, cause you will need it for the cleaning..

Actually crossing the Glades on Old 41 there is a wide variety of Flying insects virtually year round, some the size of small birds. You don't want to get hit on your bare head at 60 by one those flying beetles. Its sounds like a rock hitting your helmet.

Do you know what the last thing that goes through a bugs head is when it hits your helmet? ..........

RSTDdog

All the time.

:sign yeah that:

I ride MOTGATT or ATGATT at all times. I've seen too many of my friends being stupid [just MHO] and getting hurt. I laid my last bike down while on a cross country trip up in Mo. I put a 3 in. wide diagonal scratch across the faceshield and front of my helmet and completely destroyed the rain gear I was wearing. Only injury I had was a bruised hand from hitting the base of the mirror. If I'd been wearing armored instead of plain leather gloves, I quite often doubt I would have been hurt at all in that case.

By the way, the salesman who sold me my 650 tried to talk me into a half helmet until I showed him the full face I had been wearing when I went down. After seeing that, he stopped trying!

All the Gear all the Time

I often wonder what some guys think when they take wife/girlfriend for a ride and they have full protective gear and their companion has a helmet tee shirt shorts and joggers often these people have never had a off to know how much damage can be done even at low speed.