IGNORED

Helmet Use?

craigatcsi

Full-face AGV 100% of the time. MD is a helmet state, but PA is next door, and I ride there quite often. Always a jacket, gloves, boots, and long pants, regardless of temp.

I will not ride with anyone who doesn't wear a helmet. If that makes me an intolerant SOB, then fine with me.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it depends, by myself on the Royal Star its a full face HJC. It just so happens that its wired to plug into my cell phone/gps/mp3 player. When riding with the wife we take her harley trike and I wear a 3/4 HJC with the harley intercom set-up. I always wear boots, gloves and a leather jacket although its starting to get warm so I'm looking for a mesh jacket for summer. I started riding more than 30 years ago when helmets were mandatory and just never lost the habit.

For those protesting against the MAN and not wearing gear let us know how that goes if you go down. Wife and I were out riding yesterday and I was shocked at how many were out riding and wearing shorts. I can't imagine how bad it would be if they went down.

I've been riding and racing various forms of motorcycles for over 40 years. That means I've put off in the dirt, on the ice, and on the road. I bled, I hurt, I healed. Big deal. I'm still here and enjoying my ride.

I've put down with full gear and in shorts, and I can promise you there is very little difference between shorts and jeans. The big difference is whether you pick denim out of your skin or just pieces of the road.

I love, love, love, the way people get so judgmental about other riders gear. Ride your ride the way you want and I'll do the same. :thumbsup2:

Hello Everyone: I respect everyone's choice. 25 years ago I went down on I-25 in Colorado. A helmet, leather coat, gloves and rain gear prevented serious injury. I was following a unknown rider in Colo. last season, he rode too close to the edge of the road and went down. He walked away because of a full face helment, coat and gloves. I like the security and feel of my Nolan N103 Modular, Mesh Hydration Jacket and gloves. Thanks....

I usually use a half helmet. Seldom don't wear at all. Just put communications in a 3/4 - will try it on this summers long trip (riding with a buddy). Haven't worn a FF in a LONG time - too restrictive. Use chaps when cold, if cool out.

"...jeans and or chaps"

What do you mean "OR" chaps??? I really hope I don't ever see you wearing chaps with nothing on under them!!!:sick:

I wear jeans, boots, gloves and a helmet all the time. Just doesn't feel right without them. I have gone to a 3/4 or half helmet most of the time because a full face isn't comfortable for me anymore.

I don't know what it's like to ride without a helmet and let my hair flow freely in the wind as ...

a) I've never done it and

b) I have no hair :rotfl: (well, I used to)

Generally, Nina and I wear 3/4 helmet and as of this year, have intercom hooked up and we like that.

When it's hot out, we will wear our non-DOT approved beanies.

Since I've never ridden without a helmet, I just don't think it would feel "normal" not to. I don't think I'd like a full-face due the the added weight which would put too much pressure on my failing neck bones.

In Nina's case, I couldn't imagine her riding without a helmet as she fusses so much with her hair as it is :rotfl: :rotf: :stickpoke:

I've been riding and racing various forms of motorcycles for over 40 years. That means I've put off in the dirt, on the ice, and on the road. I bled, I hurt, I healed. Big deal. I'm still here and enjoying my ride.

I've put down with full gear and in shorts, and I can promise you there is very little difference between shorts and jeans. The big difference is whether you pick denim out of your skin or just pieces of the road.

I love, love, love, the way people get so judgmental about other riders gear. Ride your ride the way you want and I'll do the same. :thumbsup2:

Not being judgmental here. Just stating how I feel. I was a police officer for 30 years and I saw countless MC crash victims. I saw way too many with injuries that were horrendous from wearing a lack of gear such as MC pants and jackets. I saw numerous crashes where the riders walked away with nary a scratch as they were wearing ATGATT. Was amazed at some of them. VA is a helmet law state so most of the deaths and serious injuries did occur with riders wearing them. I did arrive first at one accident where a rider was tearing up a parking lot on a bike and not wearing a helmet. He ran off the lot, over a curb and landed hard in the road. The ME said he would have survived had he been wearing a helmet.

My friendship with other riders is not dependent on them wearing gear but like someone else said; I'll only ride with others who wear the gear as well.

Now ride safely.:bikersmilie:

like someone else said; I'll only ride with others who wear the gear as well.

I know this is a bit of a hijack and I'm not really trying to stir the pot here but since there seems to be more than one who mentioned this, I'm really curious to know why not? I mean, if they are following the rules of the road and group riding, how does the lack of what you or some others consider "proper riding gear" have anything at all to do with anything in this respect??

Not being judgmental here.

My friendship with other riders is not dependent on them wearing gear but like someone else said; I'll only ride with others who wear the gear as well.

Now ride safely.:bikersmilie:

I too, would like to know the thought process that leads to this conclusion.

Do you dictate to other riders the brand of helmet they can wear to ride with you. Does it have to be a FF or will a 3/4 pass your riding buddy standard. Is it OK if my riding pants aren't armored? If you see a bike broken down on the side of the road, do you not stop to help if he's not wearing safety gear? What if we're not riding together, but wind up at the same place? Will you leave? Will you try to force me to leave?

Yes, I'm being a smarta#$ but the whole idea here is comical to me.

Quite honestly, if you don't want to ride with me because I don't wear gear up to your standard, it's not going to hurt my feelings. The friendship thing is a non issue as well. I don't want to be friends with anyone that makes such a broad, blind judgment on other riders. :179:

Edited by straycatt

I know this is a bit of a hijack and I'm not really trying to stir the pot here but since there seems to be more than one who mentioned this, I'm really curious to know why not? I mean, if they are following the rules of the road and group riding, how does the lack of what you or some others consider "proper riding gear" have anything at all to do with anything in this respect??

I don't want to watch someone go down and have to deal with the aftermath if they are not wearing ATGATT. Anyone with half a brain (no pun intended) has to admit that riding ATGATT vs non ATGATT increases a riders chances big time in the event a crash occurs. I just prefer to ride with those with the same ideas as me. Don't take it personal guys. It has nothing to do with friendship at all.

I don't want to watch someone go down and have to deal with the aftermath if they are not wearing ATGATT. Anyone with half a brain (no pun intended) has to admit that riding ATGATT vs non ATGATT increases a riders chances big time in the event a crash occurs. I just prefer to ride with those with the same ideas as me. Don't take it personal guys. It has nothing to do with friendship at all.

I wasn't taking anything personal... just wanted to know why someone would choose not to ride with me if I wasn't 100% ATGATT.

I do agree with your "ATGATT vs non ATGATT" ; however that becomes a personal choice. From my perspective though, if someone chooses not to ride "in my presence" because of it, then that's their choice and really no skin off my (you know what...and no pun intended). Not being personal, such a person would probably not be any friend of mine either (but I wouldn't reject their presence or refuse to communicate with them). True friends accept friends "unconditionally" ... anything less is just an acquantance.

Sorry to hear that ... my condolences but yep, he most likely is.

Hopefully you did catch the jist of my humour though.

I did :) and my wife would skin me if I did not wear one and we all know we have to keep our wives happy. Plus I hope to never grow up :)

I don't want to watch someone go down and have to deal with the aftermath if they are not wearing ATGATT.

Ironically I just got back from a ride to get ice cream. While sitting there an older couple approached me and started talking motorcycles. When they told me they just sold their sons Street Glide, I thought UH OH!

Sure enough, their son was an Motor Officer down south (I don't recall where) and a couple of years ago he died after running his bike off the road in a corner. The woman made a point of telling me (I don't know why) that his body didn't have a mark on it. I asked, and she said yes he was wearing safety gear, but she didn't say how much.

So I suppose you're logic has a point......die in ATGATT, leave a pretty corpse. :255: